Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

View Poll Results: What mower?
Cylinder 57 23.65%
Rotary 154 63.90%
Both 30 12.45%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #861
jonnyMercUK
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Does anyone have any experience with Stiga mowers?

http://www.stiga.com/products/stiga_...s-r-h-bbc.html

Iíve gone for this over the Honda. It still houses a Honda engine with all the features of the HRD but a lighter machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jonnyMercUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #862
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,685 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyMercUK View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Stiga mowers?

http://www.stiga.com/products/stiga_...s-r-h-bbc.html

Iíve gone for this over the Honda. It still houses a Honda engine with all the features of the HRD but a lighter machine.

Used to sell the ride on's quite a few years ago at an agricultural dealership, they were very popular, I would definitely buy a push one any day of the week
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
jonnyMercUK (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #863
Taxboy
Orbital Oracle

Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread. I'm running short of time this year for reasons I won't go into. Are the various lawn care companies I see advertised pretty much of a muchness (I'm presuming they are franchised) or like a lot of franchises dependant on the individual running it

Any recommendations appreciated. I'm South Norfolk / Suffolk border

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Taxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #864
vsideboy
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vsideboy Send a message via MSN to vsideboy
I'd assume so Taxboy, I had greenthumb come to give me a quote. Ended up I had every type of weed on his list just about and then he said because I live next to a school field it's unlikely that I'll be able to have a long term weed free lawn so I just never bothered with him and bought a fiskars weed puller instead to get rid of as many dandelions as I could, brilliant tool for the job. everything else I can live with just the bloody dandelions that get on my nerves!
vsideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vsideboy For This Useful Post:
Taxboy (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #865
Darlofan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread. I'm running short of time this year for reasons I won't go into. Are the various lawn care companies I see advertised pretty much of a muchness (I'm presuming they are franchised) or like a lot of franchises dependant on the individual running it

Any recommendations appreciated. I'm South Norfolk / Suffolk border

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
I use Greenthumb, have done for 4 yrs since moving to this house, mainly because of the work the house needed I lacked time to sort the garden. Plus the lawn was awful when we moved in, full of weeds, boggy and tons of moss. I pay 18 quarter and had it aerated once. The moss was sorted really quickly. Weed wise we get the odd dandelion and daisy which annoys me but then we have farmland to the rear and looking at neighbours either side and hedgerows around us they are yellow at the moment with dandelions. So I won't be stopping them anytime soon.
I've had quotes from similar companies and to be honest they were all virtually the same cost.
They all hype up the weeds, grass condition etc but I didn't listen and just went for standard treatment.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
Taxboy (09-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #866
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyMercUK View Post
Finally moved in on Monday, the lawn was well over due a cut, in some places it was up to my knees!

I strimmed it all down and then started with the mower on the highest setting. I ended up removing the grass box as it was wet underneath and was clogging the mower up every 2 minutes.

Went over it again today on the highest setting to pick up the excess grass. Iím quite pleased with the outcome to say the least!

Iíve been using a 16Ē hayter which is just too small and the self propelled is broken so Iíll be getting a new machine. Iíve considered a ride on but think Iíll be going with a 21Ē Honda.

Awesome result! You have an aspiration garden!
jr2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #867
stealthwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
I dragged the Titan scarifier (with the spring tine head fitted) out of the shed and gave the lawn a run over with that, just on the 0 height setting to comb the creeping grasses out a little,
Is it like this one:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb...ier-230v/48162

I've toyed with the idea of hiring or buying an electric scarifier. I've got a manual rake one which works well but it's a bit of effort (which I don't mind) and takes lots of time (which I'm limited on). I'd probably only use it once every couple of years, which puts me off.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #868
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,350 Times in 4,434 Posts
I have really bad moss due to very wet winter I have done 1 lot of weed and feed killed some and racked out but due to size think I need an electric scarifier rake.
first are they any good and what would you recommend two grass areas about 12x12m each
Derekh929 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #869
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,685 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthwolf View Post
Is it like this one:

I've toyed with the idea of hiring or buying an electric scarifier. I've got a manual rake one which works well but it's a bit of effort (which I don't mind) and takes lots of time (which I'm limited on). I'd probably only use it once every couple of years, which puts me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
I have really bad moss due to very wet winter I have done 1 lot of weed and feed killed some and racked out but due to size think I need an electric scarifier rake.
first are they any good and what would you recommend two grass areas about 12x12m each
The one linked too is the one I have. I've only used it once and probably shouldn't have bought it but it works very well!
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #870
percymon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthwolf View Post
Is it like this one:

Yes that’s the one, it’s sold under a few different brand names with fractionally different power ratings but they’re all the same in reality; from recollection when I bought mine 3 years ago garden lines had the same thing under the Cobra brand.

It’s had five sessions now, and it has good and bad points..

Bad
- the collection bag is pretty small, but that’s the same for all machines around this price point. I could literally fill the bag in a 25 feet length of lawn.
- the height adjuster at the front can get knocked , so before you know it you’ve gone from +5 to -10 on the setting for depth. You soon learn to check regularly!

Good
- does a great job of raking leaves on +10 if you need that function
- does a good raking, dethatching, moss removal on +5 thru -5
- has enough power to use both rake and scarifier heads even on -10 albeit I’d say donut do this on dried out soil
- more than powerful enough for up to 150m2 lawn
- without the collector bag I can cover my ca 110m2 back lawn in under 30 minutes, try that with a hand rake !
- only 2 M10 bolts to remove to change the cassettes from spring time rake to scarifier blades

So happy I bought it, it’s robust enough for once/twice a year lawn scarifying, reasonably small to keep in the shed with the mower and for the money is a damn site easier than hand raking.

This was after its first use, in MARCH 2015, where I was perhaps a little early in the year, a little heavy handed and the soil a bit too damp..

Recovered after 8 weeks to this (brown spots due to the dog grrrrr)

Last edited by percymon; 10-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (10-05-2018), stealthwolf (11-05-2018)