Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #11
BTS
PC Perfectionist

P20 Pro. I've just got one and it's honestly brilliant. The camera is ridiculous. Battery will last me two days and it never struggles with performance.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
BTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #12
taylor8
PC Perfectionist

2 days!! thats brilliant! Deffo going for one in next 1-2months
taylor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #13
Derek Mc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I just got a Huawei P20 pro last week as an upgrade choice and went for it over the Iphone X, my daughter, went iPhone X and I previously had an iPhone, this was I can actually talk with a 1:1 comparison

I absolutely love it it is a stunning piece of kit and the android system is for me, flawless very fast face recog, smooth software and that camera is incredible.
Derek Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Something I never cease to be amazed by however is the fact that, on Amazon right now, the Mate 10 Pro is £380 and the P20 Pro is £799! These are both sold and delivered by Amazon too, so it's not like one is an international version or anything. That's a massive price difference for two phones that have essentially the same hardware, barring the camera set up obviously. I'd have to wonder whether the triple camera setup is really worth £400.

I'll keep the P20 Pro in mind but at present it doesn't feel like it brings enough to the table to justify it's price over the M10P.

I'm quite interested to see what the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 will be like and the Pixel 3. I get the feeling I'll probably end up waiting until the new year now which will mean the release of a few new phones, and also potentially a drop in price of things like the S9. The hardest thing will be to get through the black Friday deals without being tempted!
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
Derek Mc (02-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
BrummyPete

Ive recently bought the S8+, I could not justify the extra money for the S9+ just for a slightly better camera and emojis, P20 Pro looked good but they were hard to get hold of when I was looking to change.
BrummyPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
roscopervis

Don't rule out the LG V35. Excellent build, great battery life, excellent stills camera and different gimmick camera, OLED screen - seems to do everything you want.
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I thought the V35 was US and Asia only? at least for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #18
Derek Mc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliewills View Post
Something I never cease to be amazed by however is the fact that, on Amazon right now, the Mate 10 Pro is £380 and the P20 Pro is £799! These are both sold and delivered by Amazon too, so it's not like one is an international version or anything. That's a massive price difference for two phones that have essentially the same hardware, barring the camera set up obviously. I'd have to wonder whether the triple camera setup is really worth £400.

I'll keep the P20 Pro in mind but at present it doesn't feel like it brings enough to the table to justify it's price over the M10P.

I'm quite interested to see what the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 will be like and the Pixel 3. I get the feeling I'll probably end up waiting until the new year now which will mean the release of a few new phones, and also potentially a drop in price of things like the S9. The hardest thing will be to get through the black Friday deals without being tempted!
I think that as it is now out of production replaced by the P20 pro, it is being heavily discounted?
But, it also has
wireless charge
facial recognition
Aluminium chassis
30 minute water resistant
4K OLED screen
And that camera has to be seen to be believed!

Not huge differences but the deal I got from EE made it a real no brainer as the mate was more expensive!
Derek Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
FJ1000
Washmitt Meister

Don’t forget to factor in the resale cost. It could make what you think is an expensive phone, actually cheaper over the course of ownership than lower priced models.

Gone are the days that phones were worthless throw away items. Look after it and it’ll still be worth something after a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FJ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #20
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Strictly speaking the P20 Pro replaces the P10 Pro as the Mate series are a separate entity for Huawei. The replacement for the Mate 10, the Mate 20, is likely to be released in October this year, so we'll see then what that brings to the table and what it costs!

The face unlock functionality of the P20 pro is due to hit the Mate 10 Pro as a software update. The Mate 10 Pro also has the same IP67 ingress rating and aluminium glass sandwich frame as the P20P. Neither phone has wireless charging.

Even the screens are virtually the same and neither are 4K. The P20 Pro has an extra 80 pixels of vertical height but then you also lose a chunk of that extra resolution to the notch which the Mate 10 Pro doesn't have so they both end up at just a shade over 400ppi.

I grant you the triple camera is a big deal but I still can't believe that it's worth £400 extra just for that. If you're the sort who likes to go purely by the numbers, which I'm not, the M10P also gets slightly higher benchmark scores across the board than the P20P, but in real world usage it won't actually make a tangible difference.

FJ1000: I completely agree when it comes to something like an Iphone or Samsung Galaxy which do seem to stay trendy for a few years after release and still retain their value for trade in a couple of years down the line. If you buy direct from Samsung right now you can trade in an S7 against and S9 and get up to £250 off the price. For less popular brands, resale/trade-in isn't quite so good, but even then you'd get £150 off an S9 for a P8.

I think i'll end up waiting until November, see what new phones are out then, see what black friday brings and then either go with the Mate 20 Pro if it's a good option or maybe just get the Mate 10 Pro and say "okay, it's a 1 year old phone, but it's only £300 now so it'll last me for 2-3 years and maybe still trade in at the end for £50!". There's a lot to like about the Mate 10 Pro and when I get my bonus from work in a days time it'll be even harder to stop myself diving onto Amazon and ordering one and to actually be a bit patient!

Choices, choices!

Last edited by olliewills; 02-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.