Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 28-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #51
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,298 Times in 3,835 Posts
Garage
Brill update mate. It'll be no time until wee Aston is out helping you clean your cars!

Keep the updates coming!!

Cheers

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (29-11-2018), SBM (30-11-2018)
Old 28-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #52
lukiep
Sponge Jockey

Excellent work, Theres a good bodyshop down denny road in kings lynn Called kings lynn vehicle repairs, Mark's a top bloke there and their work is spot on
lukiep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lukiep For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (29-11-2018)
Old 28-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #53
packard
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Proper project subscribed !

Keep the detail coming
packard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packard For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (29-11-2018)
Old 29-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #54
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Thanks for the comments everyone - am hoping to do the drivers seat leather this weekend; if I do not end up working in London, which is now a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukiep View Post
Excellent work, Theres a good bodyshop down denny road in kings lynn Called kings lynn vehicle repairs, Mark's a top bloke there and their work is spot on
Denny road on the Harwich Industrial Estate; found it! - Thanks!

I had no idea that one was there - I'll see if I can arrange to pop in.
c16rkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
SBM (30-11-2018)
Old 30-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #55
tommyboy40
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Fantastic work as always Chris.
tommyboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyboy40 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #56
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Well I wanted a more interesting story for my next update, and I got one.

But it's not exactly what I had been thinking!

Unfortunately, I had an accident in my daily driver; the Jaguar X358 Sovereign, on Friday. I'm completely fine, no injuries whatsoever, but my poor old car.... we that's a totally different story. I think this photo says it all:

Basically on my way to work on Friday, all of the traffic came to a grinding halt. I braked, thought I was going to hit the car in front, so steered onto the verge. Then this tree just jumped out in front of me... and BAMM!

It's the road through Thetford forest, and is generally a long line of cars behind lorries. So thankfully we were probably all going no more than 45-50mph. Oddly I hardly felt the impact, but the airbag went off so it must have been a fairly hard bang; I've never triggered an airbag before. My face never even went near the airbag.

It turns out there was a broken down military vehicle, and the traffic stopped because a lorry could not get past and had to stop, with it being just over the brow of a hill it was somewhat of a shock to the line of cars.

I was extra stupid because I steered onto the verge, thinking I could go along side the other cars if I could not stop in time. But as soon as I steered on to the grass, I lost steering (and braking), and the car just went deeper into the verge where the trees were. Something learned; do not steer onto a sopping wet grass verge to avoid a collision! Particularly if there are trees inhabiting it...

Here's another beauty shot from further away:

I felt like an absolute idiot, as out of probably 10+ cars involved, I was the only one who was stupid enough to think it was a good idea to steer into a tree! My brain must work (or not work) different to the average person...?

It is quite possible if I had kept the wheel straight, the Jag might actually have stopped in time... but I was relieved not to be one of the people further ahead of me. They crashed into each other and it looked a little heated. There did not appear to be much damage to the cars from a distance, but the little Daihatsu 4x4 was smoking badly for ages; I worried it was going to catch fire. The front van just drove away, but the other van and the 4x4 had to be trailered, like mine.

Here's a parting shot of me looking somber as my car was recovered... to my surprise, the car actually still drives. It looked much worse than it was.

I still feel like a complete moron, I think that's going to stay with me for a few weeks. The recovery guy said its unlikely they will repair the car; due to the fact that the airbag went off. But I guess we shall see.

I still feel like a complete prat!

Lucky I had the Daimler as a spare car though, they do not give you a courtesy car until the repairs are agreed... and even then it can take 48 hours!

On Monday, I had a call from the repair garage who said the repairs estimate tops £9,500... so I think that's the car written off!! Then, to my surprise a Nissan Micra was delivered to our house on Tuesday, for me to use as a courtesy car. So taking this as a chance to catch up on things, the Daimler has gone into the garage for some work.

It's having a full service, as well as a good going over on the ramps. This will hopefully give me some feedback on what might need doing in the future and the general state of the car.

In addition, I have noticed a squeak at tick over when the car is cold, it turns out this is a known issue referred to as the 'Chirp'. Jaguar released a TSB back in 2003 (on an "if the customer complains" basis). Some info is here if anyone is interested:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rp-cold-65777/

What happens is the accessory belt squeeks, or "chirps" once a rotation when the car is idling. A new belt cures the issue, but it then comes back in the winter. I've had this issue on every X308 I have owned; though this is the first I have heard of the cure! The garage are going to see if they can sort this for me too.

Looking forward to hearing from the garage later.... not looking forward to the bill!!

In the mean time, I contemplated getting the Daimler fixed up, converting to LPG and using as a daily driver. But some Jag experts have advised this is not a good idea as the Jaguar-Landrover V8's have soft valve seats. So I am now going have have to decide what to do next.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
SBM (06-12-2018), Tuddie (08-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #57
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Talking

Oh thatís absolutely gutting.

I know itís a cliche - but Iím glad youíre ok and cars can be replaced etc etc.

Such a shame about the big Jag though. You are beating yourself up about the action you took by swerving, but you avoided injuring anyone in another car. Itís a split second reaction and you make the decision before you get chance to think about it.

I would suggest you buying the Jag back and fixing it - but youíve clearly got enough on your plate with a job, young child and the Daimler to be getting on with!

Edit - Iím not sure why my post has a grinning face at the top of it ... it seems slightly insensitive but I canít get rid of it!!!!!
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #58
JR1982

Thanked 1,258 Times in 1,012 Posts
Garage
Glad your ok, but I would have to agree that putting 2+ ton of jag on a verge thinking it would stop probably wasnít your brightest idea, having said that Iíve done it too so your not alone going to miss seeing the updates on this, are you looking for another?
JR1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #59
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Oh thatís absolutely gutting.

I know itís a cliche - but Iím glad youíre ok and cars can be replaced etc etc.

Such a shame about the big Jag though. You are beating yourself up about the action you took by swerving, but you avoided injuring anyone in another car. Itís a split second reaction and you make the decision before you get chance to think about it.

I would suggest you buying the Jag back and fixing it - but youíve clearly got enough on your plate with a job, young child and the Daimler to be getting on with!

Edit - Iím not sure why my post has a grinning face at the top of it ... it seems slightly insensitive but I canít get rid of it!!!!!
Thank you sir - the grinning face is no problem, makes it a little more comical!

I think I fancy a change now, and as you say buying another car to fix would probably be a step to far... not sure what I'll be doing really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
Glad your ok, but I would have to agree that putting 2+ ton of jag on a verge thinking it would stop probably wasnít your brightest idea, having said that Iíve done it too so your not alone going to miss seeing the updates on this, are you looking for another?
Updates will still be here on the Daimler if that's what you mean. I may have written a very confusing thread as I have two very similar cars!! I crashed a Black Jaguar X358 (2007 model), but I also have the Daimler which is an X308 (2001 model).

So this tale will continue!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
Cookies (07-12-2018), jbenekeorr (06-12-2018), JR1982 (06-12-2018), SBM (06-12-2018), Starbuck88 (06-12-2018), Tuddie (08-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #60
SBM

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,720 Posts
Garage
Aaah so sorry to see this Chris but glad you are all ok - thats the main thing after all.
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SBM For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (06-12-2018), f4rrs (08-12-2018), Starbuck88 (06-12-2018), Tuddie (08-12-2018)