Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Traders > Clean and Shiny
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clean and Shiny Detailing Products and Bespoke Detailing Services - GTechniq Accredited - Walk in Customers Welcome. Call us on 0330 22 33 777 www.cleanandshiny.co.uk

Products Available By: 3M - Angelwax - Auto Finesse - Bilthamber - Black Mamba - Britemax - California Scents - Chemical Guys - Collinite - Colourlock - Detail Factory - Dooka - Dodo Juice - EZ - Flex - Flexipads - Gtechniq - Grit Guard - Gyeon - Koch Chemie - Kwazar - Meguiars Pro/Consumer/Detailer Range - Microfiber Madness - Orchard Autocare - Renovo - Rupes - Scratch Shield - Snow Foam Lances - Scholl Concepts - Solution Finish - Spies Hecker - Stoner - Valet Pro - Wheel Woolies - WoWo's - Zaino.

Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
tosh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
That's it am getting one, am a bit fed up with the Rupes mark 2 still slightly bogging down or slowing even without applying to much downward pressure, so this could be my answer

But the flex 3401 will still be the one I use for cutting as it has just made mince meat of a Lamborghini rock hard paint I've just corrected

Sounds like a perfect combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
ammo-mcr
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill58 View Post
I bought one from Clean and Shiny a couple of weeks ago and can tell you it is a brilliant machine. The overheating problem some people were getting with early models don't seem to be an issue any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
That's it am getting one, am a bit fed up with the Rupes mark 2 still slightly bogging down or slowing even without applying to much downward pressure, so this could be my answer

But the flex 3401 will still be the one I use for cutting as it has just made mince meat of a Lamborghini rock hard paint I've just corrected
hi chongo im to thinking of going for the xfe but i dont want to buy it knowing i should of gone for another machine....im new to detailing and this would be my first purchase of a polishing machine .
you said you would keep using the 3401 for cutting may i ask why would you go for a xfe? and cant you do all jobs with a 3401
Old 16-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #13
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,794 Times in 2,919 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo-mcr View Post
hi chongo im to thinking of going for the xfe but i dont want to buy it knowing i should of gone for another machine....im new to detailing and this would be my first purchase of a polishing machine .
you said you would keep using the 3401 for cutting may i ask why would you go for a xfe? and cant you do all jobs with a 3401
The reason is purely on the weight of the 3401 and noise and that's it bud I finished the Lamborghini with the flex but the new one will be obviously a lot lighter and less noise which is more easier on my deaf hearing anyway

Last edited by chongo; 16-05-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: .......
Old 17-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,873 Posts
guys - I havent used a Rupes or a 21mm throw DA BUT.....

I could get the XFE to bog down in no time at all on a slightly curved panel (door of an older Toureg which isnt even that curved). It put me off right away as the cars I work on are typically much more curvy and contoured that that and I suspect this machine would frustrate me - several others commented on this as well. IF you have the technique nailed to deal with that then I would highly recommend this machine as the quality and feel is otherwise superb. No option for a smaller backing plate though - Flex told me there is a 80mm version on its way though.

I instantly fell for the 3401 though. It feels heavier, needs a little more 'wrestling' (perhaps a little strong word for it really) on panels but it just spins and works and it can really correct and quickly too, as well as finish to a very high standard with the right pads and polish. Using the 3401 on a pretty swirled and scratch black Toureg bonnet with a Flex wool pad was amazing - it corrected quickly and left a pretty good finish that was perfected easily with a polishing pad.

I dont think you can describe one as a step up from another - they are very different machines and will likely appeal to different people as a result. Flex are pushing them as a 'system' approach - cut and correct with the 3401 and finish with the XFE. I can see the logic but you need deeper pockets than me to afford that. Personally I think the 3401 with the smaller BP option gives the flexibility most people need.

As far as Rupes, I cant really comment except they had a Bigfoot on a shelf there, and just picking it up and holding it (couldnt switch it on) and I instantly MUCH preferred the feel of the Flex machines. There was 1 person there who had a full suite of Rupes machines and he hadnothing but stories of unreliability and service issues including 1 machine that had been returned for repair 4 times in a couple of years. He was going for Flex.....

YMMV - it was only a brief day and I didnt get more than 30 mins time on any tool, but as a very long time DA user and at my best a pretty proficient rotary user, I just instantly loved the 3401. I've since bought the 2 smaller BP options and a couple of sets of LC Hybrid pads in 5.5" and 4".... My trusty old DAS-6 Pro with very small BP will be great for the really tight areas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigpikle For This Useful Post:
ammo-mcr (18-05-2017), Turbo Tony (21-05-2017)
Old 17-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
Kam09
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Problem is are the 3401's on sale at various stockists "old stock"?? As the 3401 has been around a while.. I don't know, maybe clean and shiny can confirm? I would really like either the 3401 or xfe however I want the smaller backing plate option and effortless correction ability and that drops to only 1 option...
Old 17-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #16
tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam09 View Post
Problem is are the 3401's on sale at various stockists "old stock"?? As the 3401 has been around a while.. I don't know, maybe clean and shiny can confirm? I would really like either the 3401 or xfe however I want the smaller backing plate option and effortless correction ability and that drops to only 1 option...

The 3401 is a current product; what do you mean about 'old'? It's not being replaced with anything new anytime soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
Jonnny D (17-05-2017)
Old 17-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,873 Posts
nothing changing on the 3401 unless they were keeping it very close to their chest. The German Flex guy was there this week and was quite open with me about who made their pads and polishes and what new machines were on the way, but there was never even a hint that the 3401 was up for any changes.

Detailing is only about 20% of Flex business, and the rest is stone, metal and construction suff, where heavy duty kit is what they need.
Old 17-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #18
tosh

Who makes their pads?

Old 17-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #19
Kam09
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
The 3401 is a current product; what do you mean about 'old'? It's not being replaced with anything new anytime soon.

The reason why I mentioned "old" is because there is a chap on another forum who can source flex machines cos wherever he works he can obtain flex polishers and other flex items at good prices however he stated some retailers are offering 3401 at prices he can not beat cos they are maybe shifting "old" stock..
Old 18-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #20
tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam09 View Post
The reason why I mentioned "old" is because there is a chap on another forum who can source flex machines cos wherever he works he can obtain flex polishers and other flex items at good prices however he stated some retailers are offering 3401 at prices he can not beat cos they are maybe shifting "old" stock..
If you can get it cheaper, and you still get a receipt and therefore 2yr warranty, go for it. There has only ever been one version of the 3401, so you'll be getting a 'current' product.

It's annoying Flex pulled the XFE and fixed the cooling, but at least they did actually pull the product and redesign it, rather than leave it out there, and sort the issues through warranty. In the UK, that meant that we never really got to see the original version with the issues, so good for us (we are getting the revised one), bad for us (we've had to wait a while).
Closed Thread