Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #251
Disco Smudge
Washmitt Meister

Lovely job bud
Disco Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Smudge For This Useful Post:
acprc (10-09-2017)
Old 16-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #252
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Guess what I just found by pure fluke!

Had a good look round the car in the LRO Show car park. It is an absolute credit to you and your hard work. I knew it was your car even before I could see the registration.

Last edited by jbenekeorr; 16-09-2017 at 09:24 PM.
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
acprc (18-09-2017), Cookies (16-09-2017)
Old 18-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #253
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I go every year to hunt out parts but this year drew a blank. It seems there was less autojumble stalls this year. What was on offer also seemed to be really poor quality, just thrown in boxes and lots of electrical parts sitting in water etc. I always have a good look at the D1's as I walk through the car park. There was a lovely D1 in white near the entrance (R or S reg TDI) but on balance less D1's in general I felt. As 1000 a quarter are getting SORN'd or scrapped that doesn't surprise me.

I always get a bit embarrassed with regards compliments because I have a long list of things that are wrong and need doing. The nearside rear quarter is in desperate need of a repaint as the aluminium panel has reacted badly and all the window frames on the doors need repainting. The next major job will be the front swivel replacements, that and various other small jobs.

Sunday saw the dash start to be removed to address the glovebox catch and a few other things but progress so far has found items I didn't know about to add to the list. No signs of any water leaks thought which is great.

Last edited by acprc; 18-09-2017 at 10:04 AM.
acprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #254
acprc
PC Perfectionist

So as quick as I was back from the LRO show at Peterborough and picking up a few compliments I was back working on the old girl.

For a while now I have needed to get the dashboard out. The main reason being the failed glovebox catch plate that had dropped off the dash interior. It's only plastic welded on and it can't be refixed (without a massive bodge job) from the outside. I had also saved up a few other jobs to make it worth doing.

This is a bit of an undertaking, lots of screws, bolts and electrical connections, coupled with an online guide, the LR Rave manual I went at it. A few of the pictures I took to remember the colour codes.

After about two hours the dash looked like this and was almost ready to come out

and a few more bolts and 23 years of extra cable ties left me with these

So yesterday evening I carried out an inspection. The only rust was on the two side mounts

Normally I would restore these however they have a floating plate inside them that will make refinishing difficult and they cost £11 each, new ones it is then.

I am also looking at a few bolt and screw replacements and then the following will be done:

Vacuum and clean all the dash components - Vacuum done tonight and its now much better
Refix the glovebox latch plate
New glovebox hinges
Wrap entire loom again with Tesa Loom Tape where needed removing any spurious connections etc.
Change a few bulkhead grommets
Check all dash bulbs, maybe change them all to an LED set
Refinish all metal brackets or replace where not possible
Clean everything again!
Wire in original radio loom and CD changer cable
Replace heater and airbox sealing foam
New gearknob and gaiters on handbrake
Code in new alarm ecu and remote fobs
Put dash back in

And then pray it all works, gulp!
The Following User Says Thank You to acprc For This Useful Post:
streaky (20-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #255
Slammedorion
Orbital Oracle

Great work as usual

Slammedorion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammedorion For This Useful Post:
acprc (19-09-2017)
Old 23-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #256
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

I know exactly what you mean about the lack of D1’s at the show, I thought the very same. It worries me how quickly they’re disappearing from the roads, but I can see why - they’re at an age now where even the last D1’s like mine are approaching 20 years old and have either had a tonne of welding or are in desperate need of it.

I agree that the selection of parts was poor this year too. When you keep your Disco looking tidy and Unmodified like both of us do (although yours looks like a showroom example compared to mine!) almost none of the parts are ‘up to scratch’. I’ve been looking for a driver’s sun visor for years as mine is slightly baggy - I’ve never found one that isn’t covered in mould or ripped! And there’s usually boxes of them piled high at the shows, all hideous!

I think the people camping get all the best buys on the Friday night. As my Dad was looking for a couple of Epsom Green doors for his Defender - he was happy to have them repainted, he just wanted to get one which was structurally sound but there were none. A chap on one of the big stalls said he brought over 100 doors and the 20 or so that were left by Saturday morning were all rough ones. The rest had all been bought on Friday night!

Admiring your dedication on the dashboard job as always! I have changed my dashboard before when I swapped to the beige interior. It was quite an undertaking as you say. In a stroke of luck I found a brand new old stock beige dashboard, still wrapped up, for sale on the eBay page of a Land Rover dealer who had it in stock ready to replace back in the day when they had the issues with cracking dashboards.

If I could give some advice (which I doubt you need, given the standard of your work normally!) is take your time reassembling it. I rushed mine as it was raining and bent one of the cables which controls the direction of the heater blower. It quickly jammed and I have been stuck with the blower in one position for over a year! I finally tracked down someone breaking a disco locally who let me fish out the cable myself. I still haven’t got round to changing it.
Also, if you could get some of that adhesive fabric tape to stick on some of the edges and contact points at the back of the dash - this would probably help with any rattles! As you probably know, these things never go back in quite the same as when you took them out! And you won’t want to strip the whole thing out to chase a rattle!!!

I have a grey dash with glovebox, grab handle and driver’s kick panel sat in my shed. It’s in really good condition. So if you want any bits off it, let me know. I’ve tried to sell it several times and can’t shift it. So I’d rather it was used to keep gunbus looking good!

I know you’re critical of your own car but it really does look smashing! I wasn’t even looking for it as I was driving through the car park but you don’t see many shiny Disco 1’s so it stood out immediately. The wheels were probably the most noticeable thing - they’re so tidy. Mine has the very same wheels, they’re still tidier than you see on almost any other Discovery but not compared to yours!

Keep up the good work!
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
acprc (25-09-2017)
Old 25-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #257
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I did wonder how much was sold on the Friday I'm not surprised that if you camp you get the best bits. Still, parts can be found if you hunt and make contacts, its surprising the bits I have got through groups on Facebook. The Unmodified Disco 1 and 2 group being particularly helpful.

Ref the dash it's almost ready to go back in now. I'm just awaiting some self adhesive foam to redo the foam on the top of the heater box. It was never sold as a separate part and mine has disintegrated. I had started to add a few bits of tape to strategic positions however I might actually do a bit more to aid in "squeak resolution"!

There is one part from the dash I may be interested in, one would be the metal brackets that sit behind the heater controls but I would imagine you have refitted them when you swapped the dash unless you got spares with your new dash?

Oh, and I will keep an eye out for a nice sun visor in beige.

Last edited by acprc; 25-09-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 30-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #258
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Well the dash work has now been completed. Not to bad of a job and only one screw left over!

The brackets I wanted to replace are obsolete so refurbed them myself and refitted with new bolts.

The list of dash jobs done in the end was:

Cleaned everything
Glovebox catch refitted
All bulbs checked
Original Discovery radio fitted
Subwoofer loom replaced
CD changer cable fitted and routed under the seat
Wiring harness repaired and loom tape applied were necessary

Lots of plastic parts were cleaned

New clock bulb fitted, the only one that was blown.

New steering column switch holder fitted

The dash heater vent foam was replaced with nice new foam tape. The original was like powder and isn't available as a new item

and then it was just methodically putting it all back

I managed to pick up a new and obsolete plenum moulding so that will be the next job and then onto the door refurbs.

as she looks today, needs a wash from the dusty barn but not bad for 23 years old.

Old 30-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #259
fordmondeo2006
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Great work as usual Adam, the paintwork and dash look beautiful.

Cheers Henry/
fordmondeo2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fordmondeo2006 For This Useful Post:
acprc (30-09-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #260
acprc
PC Perfectionist

First part of the scuttle panel refurb arrived.