Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #831
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,035 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Good man yourself!!! Time for a celebratory sarsaparilla I reckon.

Cooks
Celebratory ciders Cooks....first drinks in over a week. Spinning Tuesday, Boxing Thursday (go with my cousin who i get on really well with, is about 3" taller than me and built like me and I seriously fecking love it), spinning this morning and then steak for dinner.....Slimmer of the week will be mine!!!

The crane was a Clarke's crane. Certainly did a good job. The engine now gives me something to do on a Saturday night while she watches Xfactor.....

Yes, the rope worked fine. A fully dressed GTi6 lump comes in at circa 385kg. Blue nylon rope doubled up did the job just fine. Only thing I'd really consider would be a load balancer bar to allow the load to be tilted. Massively useful on a GTi6 lump with the box attached.

So it's out and on the stand. Now it's time to take LOTS of photos and strip it before having it vapour blasted.

Last edited by Ben_W; 10-09-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (09-09-2017), JR1982 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #832
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

hmm 385kg sounds like a lot,do you mean pounds? the 16v from my Saxo weighs around 110kg plus 30 of the gearbox,would have expected the 306 one to be similar.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #833
Ben_W

Was a little drunk last night when I wrote that. No idea where I got 375kg from.

The gearbox is heavy, I'll estimate that at 50-60kg. The whole lot can't be more than 200kg I wouldn't have thought. Drunk me should stay away from forums!
JR1982 (10-09-2017), VeiRoN (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #834
JR1982

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Was a little drunk last night when I wrote that. No idea where I got 375kg from.

The gearbox is heavy, I'll estimate that at 50-60kg. The whole lot can't be more than 200kg I wouldn't have thought. Drunk me should stay away from forums!
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #835
Ben_W

A non drunk post this evening!!!

Another long day stripping

Nothing left really now. Just the rear beam to come off. Will be arranging for the shell to be collected this week.

Took a few more bits for myself. Main front to rear brake lines to use as templates as Peugeot don't supply pre bent stuff any more. Fuel lines as mine were covered in that horrible stone chip stuff. As many of the pipe fixings as I could get off... Etc. I also took lots and lots of photos to help as a reference when I start putting it all back together.

Really need to get back into this. Had two very decent PPi cheques over the last month so funds are now available.

First job is to get the car off and have the whole front end blasted and primed. Need to talk to them about how as I'd like to do the same as I've done underneath. I will be asking them to spot weld on the new brackets on the inner wing for the fuel cannister thing and the wiring loom on the passenger side. In the mean time, I need to start stripping down the engine, sort out all the bits I want powder coating and get them off to the powder coaters and look into whether it's worth having the subframe stitch welded before I have it coated.

I've also another parts list in with my man....waiting to hear on that.

Last edited by Ben_W; 10-09-2017 at 11:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (11-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #836
Ben_W

Soooo,

A real result of a day on the parts list.

First and foremost, my man managed to find me an original Peugeot rear beam tube, complete with bearings, still in the box. Anyone knowing Peugeot will know the 205/309/306 etc all had a rear beam set up that tended to eventually chew bearings which ruined the tube. The 205/309 tubes are now non existent and the 306 stuff isnt much better. Tended to be a special order part. Turned up two, one of which he got offered a 50% discount on. Even with shipping and his bit on top, it's half the price Peugeot want and because it's a brand new tube, it will last ages.

Further to that, he has found another 10 bits on my wanted list, all from somewhere in the Canary islands of all places! Also found me a boot mat and sound proofing too.

A right result as pretty much all of the parts bar a couple are NFP/NLA....
Cookies (13-09-2017)
Old 16-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #837
Ben_W

So,

The GTi6 is done......totalled up I made £1150 from it stripping it, which has more than covered the £450 price, AND I got an engine out of the deal. Really can't complain at that. Shell gets collected for free (given how little there is left, I really can't complain!) on either Monday or Tuesday. Even the wife hasn't moaned too much, again, a right result! Looked at me from under her eyebrows when I said about doing another though!

Anyhow, had my parts man Craig on the case for more new bits. To quote the film Snatch, 'he could find Moses in a burning bush if you paid him to' which is pretty much dead on! I sent him a list of parts a couple of weeks back, pretty much all of which are marked either NFP (no further production) or NLA (no longer available) which for those new to this thread mean basically Peugeot aren't making any more or don't have any more to sell, apart from old stock sat on dealers shelves gathering dust......which is where Craig comes in..... He has the contacts to locate this stuff....

I got home Friday to two parcels:

A brand new fuse box which I APIs a silly cheap amount for from ebay (to go with my brand new fuse box lid but not in the picture below)
A brand new in the box sound proofing layer for the boot
A pair of beam bolts which have been unavailable for ages

As well as the beam tube, Criag located 3 boot carpet sections. I've had one and we've bought the other two and already sold one and shared a little profit. Then there is the dozen or so parts located in the Canaries!!!!!! Yes, you read that right...even a brand new side skirt that we've been looking for for a while to make me a brand new pair turned up! Can't thank Willsy enough for the contact on this one!

Loving this project again!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (16-09-2017), hoggers (16-09-2017), JR1982 (16-09-2017)
Old 17-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #838
Ben_W

Also forgot to mention, I've got a full set of new graphics and door b pillar stickers arriving Tuesday next week....

Have located a brand new genuine Peugeot passenger door for £25 too.
Cookies (17-09-2017), JR1982 (17-09-2017)
Old 17-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #839
JR1982

Garage
Does your man just do Peugeot stuff? Sounds like he’s worth knowing
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #840
Ben_W

Just does Peugeot stuff JR....knows his stuff, mainly from the 205/309 guys but the 306 scene is starting to gather some momentum now.
JR1982 (18-09-2017)