Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 26-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
williamsclio1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Clio 172 Cup - Track Project

26/02/2015

So here we go again, this will be my third project thread and something a bit different to my previous ones:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=141157

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=348885

I used to own a Clio 172 Cup years ago, however being young and naive I bought one which was a Cat D and the car was visual very nice however the whole car was completely twisted and dropped gear boxes, drive shafts and wheel bearings, until one day I sold it at a huge lose. A lesson learnt.

Now here we are almost ten years later and its time to try again. I recently sold my 1.4 Civic run around and have put the money towards this Clio 172 Cup that I managed to get for just £1300.

Reason for being so cheap is that the rear hub is damaged and the rear disc has cracked.

Some back ground history on the car, only 54,000 on the clock with the important Cam Belt, Auxiliary Belt and Dephaser all replaced at the end of 2014, as well as a rebuilt gear box, no recipe of the clutch being replaced at the same time, so I am hoping to find out if it was from the previous owner.

Condition, well the exterior is generally clean but has got a number of car park dents which, I will look at having removed or having the doors replaced, however as the intention is to use as a track car I must remember that I don't need to keep it in the condition that I do of my FRP and Clio 182.

The front bumper has had a whack and has been cracked so I am already on the look out for a replacement, as well as two new front plastic arch liners.

Recently refurbished Turinis with 4 brand new Michelin PS3's so that a bonus, as recently had these fitted to the Clio 182 and they are incredible.

Interior, not really had a chance to have a look at the interior however not that it matters to much as most of it is being stripped out, eventually.

Here are a few photos of how the car stands at this time:

A friend of mine has sourced a rear hub and I bought these from eBay for just £60 delivered:

I am going to be fitting a none FIA approved cage, Bucket seats and harnesses, I did try to buy this set that recently came for sale, however I missed out. But it is pretty much the equipment I will have once all fitted.

The other thing I will be getting is the popular Renault Sabelt Steering wheel and extended boot carpet:

Fortunately I am self employed and work from home so I don't need to use the car as a daily so it will do very little millage, the main intention is to have the car as a track car, however I will not be fully stripping it as when I do use it to go places I don't want to be sat in a bean can.

To do:
Remove blacked out window tints
Move battery to rear of the car
Remove white engine cover
Full detail

To Buy:
Front bumper
Arch liners
Cage
Bucket seat x 2
Harness x 2
Extended boot carpet
Smaller front registration plate
Silver Tek bulbs

Long Term:
Suspension upgrade
Uprated brakes
Remove rear bench

Just one last thing a message of thanks to Jay, for sorting the car out for me and letting me have at his cost, owe you some details.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 04-03-2015 at 04:31 PM.
williamsclio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
Clancy (27-02-2015), MDC250 (27-02-2015)
Old 27-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
Clancy

Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,060 Posts
Some advice from the set up I had on my clio if your interested

I was running with solid engine and gearbox mounts, solid top mounts and k-tec coil overs. Was an absolute dream to drive, never driven anything that nice before or since, could really hold its own and handled fantastic

I would strongly recommend the solid mounts that I had, albeit a bit expensive for what it is, it's really worth it. You'll get a but more judder on idle through the car but other than that no complaints

I also ran an uprated clutch, but that took some getting used to round town. It's literally on or off with no slip, and was very heavy. Really killed your leg in traffic, but great when booting it so bare that in mind if and when you do the clutch

I also found just upgrading discs and pads made the brakes more than good enough

Dunno if any of that will be of any use to your future plans but thought I'd share

Car looks good, looking forward to seeing how it goes
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clancy For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (27-02-2015)
Old 27-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
williamsclio1

Garage
Clancy really appreciate the input, all taken on board, hadn't thought about mounts etc but certainly will a little further down the line.

What clutch was it out of interest?

Any other pointers / ideas always welcomed.

Thanks again.
Old 27-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Clancy

I can't remember what clutch it was to be honest, I had the receipt but it was on the car when I bought it so didn't pay the details of it much attention. I probably wouldn't bother with an uprated clutch unless you where putting over 200 bhp through it, can use the extra money on other bits

Extended boot carpet is a good idea, looks really smart with that In and the back stripped out
williamsclio1 (27-02-2015)
Old 27-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
williamsclio1

Garage
Found out that it had the clutch replaced end of last year when the gear box was rebuilt. So thats good for years to come.

Yeah think it should look pretty smart, also thinking about getting a 5th Turini and having it placed in the middle of the boot carpet, would have to figure out how to strap it down safely.
Old 27-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
John-R-

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsclio1 View Post
Found out that it had the clutch replaced end of last year when the gear box was rebuilt. So thats good for years to come.

Yeah think it should look pretty smart, also thinking about getting a 5th Turini and having it placed in the middle of the boot carpet, would have to figure out how to strap it down safely.
How about something like this.

Spare Wheel Holder

John
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John-R- For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (01-03-2015)
Old 27-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Clancy

Or you could probably get a nice looking blue ratchet strap, connect to the old rear seat belt mounts to strap the wheel down, might look quiet smart
Old 28-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
subarufreak
PC Perfectionist

Garage
subscribed
subarufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to subarufreak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
williamsclio1

Garage
03/03/2015

Couple pf replacement parts arrived today, two second hand wheel arch liners, which look to be in excellent condition, just need to give them a really good clean before fitting.

Also a replaced o/s brake calliper as there was an issue with the old one when trying to replace the rear discs pads and wheel bearing.

Once these are fitted in the coming days I will have the car back at home and I can start at giving it a full detail and removing the rear bench etc.

Yesterday I purchase replacement Front Registration plate 520mm x 90mm, silver trek bulbs, Washer jets, extended boot carpet and spare Turini wheel complete with tyre.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 04-03-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
williamsclio1

Garage
04/03/2015

Few more parts arrived:

Last edited by williamsclio1; 04-03-2015 at 04:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
dann2707 (04-03-2015)