Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #291
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsclio1 View Post
They sheared off, I am going to message the seller and ask what grade metal they are as they shouldn't be breaking like that.

Yeah still had a great day, I was even laughing when the wheel came passed the window and the car dropped to the tarmac.

Got a while before the next outing so plenty of time to get things in order, will also try and source and swap the rear beam by then.
I'm sorry to read that,glad you're okay,do you happen to still have a link to these studs you bought? i bought some on ebay as well (haven't used them yet) and I'm kinda scared now lol,have this ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M12-x-1-25...item2819e5da49
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #292
williamsclio1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
I'm sorry to read that,glad you're okay,do you happen to still have a link to these studs you bought? i bought some on ebay as well (haven't used them yet) and I'm kinda scared now lol,have this ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M12-x-1-25...item2819e5da49
This was the seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mteconlineshop

Those you purchased seem a lot better quality tbh but I would defiantly contact the seller and make sure that they are made of the same metal type as

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/cli...teel-nuts.html

"These studs are hardened and tempered to strength class 10.9 or 10 according to DIN/ISO standard 898"
williamsclio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (09-05-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #293
williamsclio1

Garage
07/09/17

So finally ordered a hub in and some radiator brackets as not sure the zip ties currently used are the best option lol

I had a spare Skoda splitter in the shed so I used this to hold the front bumper back together. lol it's worked pretty well tbh:

Before:

After:

Leftovers:

Random Photo before it was stuffed in the garage for the last few months.

I also replaced the thermostat sensor to hopefully revolve the issue where the fan wasn't kicking in.

Just new studs to order and get the one replacement OZF1 powder coated yellow then it's ready to give another kicking on a new track.

Looking forward to getting it out again at some point but for now it's FRP and wedding.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 07-09-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #294
wrxmania

Garage
Good luck there.
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (07-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #295
williamsclio1

Garage
08/09/17

So after taking the FRP for an MOT I finally picked up the solid gear box mount from the garage, (bought it three months ago) should help with the shaking on the left hand side of the car when taking hard left turns.

Lesson learnt don't fit a solid engine mount to one side of the engine without the other:

Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #296
williamsclio1

Garage
Fitting the solid engine mount didn't go anywhere near as quickly I thought it would, always the way with these things isn't it. 30 min job turned into a couple of hours and still not quite fixed,

So after jacking up the gear box, removing the air box and ECU it was soon apparent something wasn't quite right:

Now before i explain the problem with the engine mount it's worth mentioning that on track I noticed knocking in particular when taking left turns, I thought it was down to the fact that I only fitted a solid engine mount on the engine side and a solid dog bone mount, however it's now clear that it's due to the fact that the whole mount was barely hanging on by one bolt, it should have two bolts holding it on the chassis leg and one into the suspension turret.

This bolt was rattling around in a forever growing hole

Suspension turret bolt was no longer attached:

The third one, well the screw thread is still in the chassis leg however the metal part had clearly snapped off the battery tray and was no where to be seen:

Fortunately the solid top mount I bought was still attached to the battery tray so I meant I had a spare.

For the first bolt that had rattled itself in to a large hole I drilled through the chassis leg and used a long nut and bolt:

The turret bolt I used some large washers and seems to of worked really well considering the hole it had made.

As for the second bolt in to chassis I just used a new bolt.

When trying to fit the gear box mount it was soon clear that the bolt wasn't long enough so I had to put the old mount on for now before a source a raplcement bolt.

I suppose the good news is that I caught this before it failed completely on track as that could have led to a terrible accident. I was also finding that the selection when changing gears with the PMS shifter was not as good as it was on my friends, I'm hoping that the engine and gear box now being fixed solid it will stop any play thus tightening up the gear throws.

The car for now has been put into storage but I intend on replacing the hub, replace the brake disc, replace the stud and nut kit, get new OZ F1 powder coated yellow, finish sorting solid gear box mount then it's ready for another track day.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 10-09-2017 at 11:11 PM.