Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Tomm
Orbital Oracle

My 1983 Porsche 944, Guards Red.

Hello Chaps,

I haven't been on here much recently but thought perhaps I should throw this up on here. I've always suffered with the detailing side of things but do enjoy looking through here at other people's efforts.

I wanted to share with you my Porsche. For as long as I can remember I have been infatuated with Porsches, mainly the aircooled 911 but you may have noticed, they're darn expensive! The later water cooled 911's are a lot more affordable, still super expensive but they just don't seem to do it for me totally. I have looked at a lot of 996s, especially with the Gt3 areo pack but IMS, RMS, Bore score, they're all things that scare me! Anyway, I have also had my eye out for a replacement retro for the past few months since I took my Mk2 Cooper off the road but nothing had taken my fancy.

It all started on the bank holiday, I was laid in bed the Monday evening and thought I would have a browse through a few forums classified adverts. The first advert I saw was just 3 minutes old and was for a 944 and it was within budget. I jumped out of bed before realising that it probably wasn't a practical idea, however after my better half asking what I was so excited about she told me I would be a fool not to go and at least look at it. 5 minutes later I had spoken with the owner and we had arranged to go and have a look the following evening.

The advert showed this...

A very faded 944, sat for 3 years after the owner had passed away. I was a little apprehensive about what to expect, but quite excited at the same time.

I will update shortly what happened next.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
Chris Dyson (10-09-2017), Cookies (22-12-2016), SBM (11-11-2016), slim_boy_fat (11-11-2016), Soul boy 68 (12-11-2016), spitandpolish (12-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
andy665
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,680 Posts
Garage
Guards Pink - looks like a project and a half
andy665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (11-11-2016), Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,363 Times in 2,637 Posts
Garage
That is really nice one tip if your are going to machine correct the paint, ensure you have lots of cutting pads, and I would only use cheap ones than using good ones like Meguairs one's your going to get lots of paint residue coming off onto the pads, then you should be ok with normal polishing pads. Lucky guy
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Forsh

Garage
Subscribed!

Looking forward to updates already

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forsh For This Useful Post:
Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,363 Times in 2,637 Posts
Garage
Take a look at this.

https://youtu.be/v8Wi7R37fa4
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
DouglasH (08-12-2016), streaky (13-11-2016), Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,142 Posts
Garage
A nice project!

As Chongo has said do not buy expensive pads because they will collect o lot of ‘dead’ paint and polishing debri and will need cleaning/changing on a very regular basis, perhaps after every panel, and you can bin them when finished the initial ‘cutting’ phase.

Look forward to updates!

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan W For This Useful Post:
Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
John-R-

Is that a US spec front bumper on it? Didn't think the UK ones had the little impact sections on them?

John
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John-R- For This Useful Post:
Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
rob267

Oh update regularly please. Love to see the progress. Do like 944s.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob267 For This Useful Post:
Tomm (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Tomm
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
Guards Pink - looks like a project and a half
I nearly wrote guards link in the title bud I didn't want to not be able to edit it out at a later date.

The thing is, this is the most complete project I've ever bought. Kind of refreshing in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
That is really nice one tip if your are going to machine correct the paint, ensure you have lots of cutting pads, and I would only use cheap ones than using good ones like Meguairs one's your going to get lots of paint residue coming off onto the pads, then you should be ok with normal polishing pads. Lucky guy
Well thank you very much indeed.

My polishing experience is pretty much next to none. I've only ever used this forum for advice on basic cleaning methods. it seems as though I couldn't be in a better place for detailing advice.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
Subscribed!

Looking forward to updates already

I am hoping not to disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Take a look at this.

https://youtu.be/v8Wi7R37fa4
Thank you very much for that. Was a very interesting watch. It seems as though Guards Red is prone to this kind of problem as there are a few on the American forums that are super faded, they just seem to leave them though which drives me bonkers. I will have to do some further reading on those pads. I have to admit, my polishing knowledge is non existent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
A nice project!

As Chongo has said do not buy expensive pads because they will collect o lot of ‘dead’ paint and polishing debri and will need cleaning/changing on a very regular basis, perhaps after every panel, and you can bin them when finished the initial ‘cutting’ phase.

Look forward to updates!

Alan W
Thanks for the suggestion Alan. As I said earlier my polishing experience is non existent so I will be looking for a load of advice from those of you far more knowledgeable than me.

I hope to keep the updates coming. I am very eager to get my first Porsche on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-R- View Post
Is that a US spec front bumper on it? Didn't think the UK ones had the little impact sections on them?

John
Thanks for the reply John. I just went and had a look because it's something I never noticed myself. It seems as though the early UK models did have these little impact pads but in most cases they were painted body colour, hence why I've never noticed them myself. The US market on the early 944s had much larger impact pads and they're almost always black. I will try and upload a photo later.

Either way mine are going body coloured eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob267 View Post
Oh update regularly please. Love to see the progress. Do like 944s.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I will certainly try my best.

I have to confess that for many years i have been blinkered by the 911 in its various forms, I still am if I am honest and I seem to have somewhat of an unhealthy obsession with them and because of such I had totally over looked the 944, 924, 968 and other Porsche models like the boxster.

Apparently, front my reading, the 911 a fair few years ago was on the brink of being cancelled, and because of such a huge effort was put in to spur more sales on and a huge amount of focus was put into the 911 and it worked, thus focusing the lime light souly on the 911 models and detracting somewhat from the transverse Porsches. Please someone correct me if that is a total load of toot.

I have a few plans up my sleeve, and I would consider this car to be a "keeper" along with my mk2 cooper. So hopefully this thread can continue for a fair while after its on the road.

Thanks again guys.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
SBM

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,563 Posts
Garage
I'm sub'd excellent project buddy
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SBM For This Useful Post:
Tomm (11-11-2016)