Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 30-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Arwel
Sponge Jockey

Managed to get a few hours on the car this morning. Got her in the air, wheels
Off and gave everything a check over. Few little niggles to sort on top of what is getting
changed anyway but nothing major. Hydraulic handbrake has been put in
Place but will be properly fitted later. Also dropped the fuel tank ready to re route the fuel lines inside the car. Progress should speed up in the new year now as we are sourcing the replacement parts required.

Last edited by Arwel; 31-01-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Arwel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwel For This Useful Post:
white91 (01-01-2017)
Old 31-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
Arwel
Sponge Jockey

There has been a fair bit of progress lately. No photos as of yet as its all been boring stuff really. Fuel and brake lines are now running inside, fuel tank guard has been made and fitted, sump guard is in the process of being made, dash panel for switches and master switch is taking shape along with all the wiring that goes with it. Windows have had the safety film applied and there has been some weight saving going on too. I bought one set of 15" wheels which will be re painted when i get round to them and we have bucket seats, belts and other rally related things on order from Nicky Grist which should be here soon. The only dilemma I have is suspension. As the car is going to be used for both tarmac and gravel I am in need of something that can cope with both. My two realistic options are some fixed Bilstein B8 shocks which are similar to what I had on my previous Peugeot 205 gti which proved to be a good all rounder on all surfaces or I go for the new Avo R1 coilover kit which has multiple damping settings as well as being height adjustable. A decision is to be made on this at the moment.
Our first rally in the car is hopefully going to be the Tour of Epynt on 12th of March so we have a lot of work to do as I want the car finished to is phase 1 spec by the end of February so it can have some mileage put on it.
Old 31-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
LewisChadwick7
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,223 Times in 867 Posts
just suscribed to this!! as a fellow FiST owner i'm imtrigued to see the finished article!!
LewisChadwick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Arwel
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisChadwick7 View Post
just suscribed to this!! as a fellow FiST owner i'm imtrigued to see the finished article!!
Cheers Lewis. Will hopefully have some further updates over the weekend and into next week when some parts start arriving
Old 31-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
LewisChadwick7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwel View Post
Cheers Lewis. Will hopefully have some further updates over the weekend and into next week when some parts start arriving
what gearbox you going to put in it? going down the sequential route?
Old 31-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
sprocketser

Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,273 Posts
Just saw the thread , will follow it ! Great work.
sprocketser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
c87reed
PC Perfectionist

Garage
All looks like a lot of fun, enjoy.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
Arwel
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
what gearbox you going to put in it? going down the sequential route?
No sequential for us unfortunately. The class in which we plan on running in does not allow sequential gearboxes to be used. It will remain standard for a period of time before eventually being rebuilt with a plated diff and a 4:5 crown wheel and pinion. Ideally I'd like to buy another box to build so the down time is kept to a minimum.

Thanks everybody, it is proving to be a lot of fun building it but even more fun once its ready to be used.
Old 31-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #19
LewisChadwick7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwel View Post
No sequential for us unfortunately. The class in which we plan on running in does not allow sequential gearboxes to be used. It will remain standard for a period of time before eventually being rebuilt with a plated diff and a 4:5 crown wheel and pinion. Ideally I'd like to buy another box to build so the down time is kept to a minimum.

Thanks everybody, it is proving to be a lot of fun building it but even more fun once its ready to be used.
ah thats a bit of a bum then i know a few of my mates running turbo/sc st's use the mtx75 or mt75 box forgotten which one it is off the top of my head though
Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #20
Arwel
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
ah thats a bit of a bum then i know a few of my mates running turbo/sc st's use the mtx75 or mt75 box forgotten which one it is off the top of my head though
The cost of a sequential is also slightly off putting too

Yes, I have read into the MTX75 conversion. Not sure if its something to look into at the moment though as there are other options such as a sadev or a quaife dog box if we want to go down that road but we shall see. My previous Pug 205gti was developed over 4 years or so from a standard 8v engine and gearbox to a MI16 motor with the pug sport gearbox so Id like to take the Fiesta down a similar route development wise as there are plenty of options out there but it will all take time.