Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Andest2003
Unwashed Member

Nanolex s13d questions new detailer

Hi I have never done a car my self before my only experience has been having a car gen3 protected

I am looking for a treatment easy to apply but have some questions and would appreciate some help

Nanolex looks easy to do is there any other options to consider

My car is metallic white Audi tt I saw a video that says if you retreat incorrectly it can go grey. When and how long is it that you can retreat without this happening if it only lasts 2 yrs

Is it difficult to do a large area in one go like a bonnet

I have more questions but will ask these first
Andest2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Wilco
Warning contains metal

Thanked 6,194 Times in 2,024 Posts
Do the bonnet in halves, same with the roof but make sure you overlap where you'd applied previously so you don't miss any. It's not difficult to use at all. Take your time and be thorough with removal. It'll still come off with something slightly abrasive even if you miss a small amount. Can't comment on greying as my cars red but it's a good product and not one to be scared of.
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
percymon
Orbital Oracle

Si3D is a good coating but you'll need the paintwork to be polished first and then prep'd with an IPA wipe down or wiped with Nanolex EX.

So you'll need a full decontamination of any dirt, debris, tar etc and previous wax coatings, followed by a polish to remove any imperfections (or previous nano/silicon coatings), then the IPA/EX wipe down

Si3D applies well with the Nanolex velvet cloth / sponge block - half a bonnet maximum, keeping wiping the applicator back and forth a few times. Do not allow to dry before buffing off.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Andest2003
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Si3D is a good coating but you'll need the paintwork to be polished first and then prep'd with an IPA wipe down or wiped with Nanolex EX.

So you'll need a full decontamination of any dirt, debris, tar etc and previous wax coatings, followed by a polish to remove any imperfections (or previous nano/silicon coatings), then the IPA/EX wipe down

Si3D applies well with the Nanolex velvet cloth / sponge block - half a bonnet maximum, keeping wiping the applicator back and forth a few times. Do not allow to dry before buffing off.
When you say polishing first what method? Sorry if I sound stupid. The car is quite new and after normal cleaning looks perfect. I am hoping a coating will keep it cleaner for longer.

Also are the alloys easy to do with the nanolex

Last edited by Andest2003; 09-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,888 Times in 3,157 Posts
The paint is at it best free of contamination and polished as the coating locks in whatever's beneath it.
You may want to machine polish to enhance tje paintwork prior to applying the coating.
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
dchapman88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I find doing large panels in quarters not halves works for me
Means less rushing about and a calmer work atmosphere
But that's just me and how I work
Means I can overlap better and can give more accurate curing time (product dependant)

Sent by a phone of some description!
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Andest2003
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspal View Post
The paint is at it best free of contamination and polished as the coating locks in whatever's beneath it.
You may want to machine polish to enhance tje paintwork prior to applying the coating.
When you say machine polish do you mean using a wax or something like super resin polish. What decontaminates with the ex cleaner remove. Won't that remove what ever I polish with

Last edited by Andest2003; 09-09-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
Cata_B
Unwashed Member

I think the reason nanolex recommends to first polish the paint is to get the surface as close to perfection as possible (you don't want to seal the paint with lots of swirls and scratches) plus this way you remove any prior coatings which would make si3d not adhere properly. In your case, if the car is fairly new, uncontaminated and you know for sure there haven't been applied any coatings previously, a proper IPA wipe down would be sufficient before applying nanolex si3d (after a serious wash of course).
Cata_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,888 Times in 3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andest2003 View Post
When you say machine polish do you mean using a wax or something like super resin polish. What decontaminates with the ex cleaner remove. Won't that remove what ever I polish with
To make sure you have the paint looking as best as you can get it,i.e remove scratches,swirl marks etc as you will be locking in any imperfections and there's no way of removing them barr mechanically removing the coating, the paint surface must be sqeaky clean,prior to application free of oils,fillers ect.
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote