Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 13-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
lbr1984
Unwashed Member

Wax Prices... Are they worth it?

I've not been detailing long but have tried a few different waxes. I've been really impressed with the Soft99 waxes and at £20-£30 they seem incredible value.

My question would be are the waxes priced at £70+ really worth the extra money? Is the performance worth a price tag which can is more than treble the price of the waxes i'm using?

Look forward to your comments...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lbr1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,550 Times in 968 Posts
As with most things in life, the more you pay for something, the more the law of diminishing returns kicks in

Will a £70 wax be better than a £30 one? More than likely

Will it be more than twice as good? Probably not

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hereisphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hereisphilly For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (14-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
LewisChadwick7
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,099 Times in 779 Posts
it's like a pair of trainers £20 ones and £70 ones.... they both do the same thing in essence but the ore expensive ones offer a better user experience imo, the higher end waxes you usually find are easier to use, come in nice pots have fancy colours and scents etc.

you get what you pay for... just like your trainers even though they do the same job at the end of the day

so the answer would be find something that suits your budget and if you're happy paying that and like the experience with it then why care what anyone else thinks?
LewisChadwick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LewisChadwick7 For This Useful Post:
Soapybubbles (14-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Forsh

Garage
The look of any wax is in the prep

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forsh For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (14-09-2017), lee63 (14-09-2017), Soapybubbles (14-09-2017), steelghost (13-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
bigalc

£50 for a wax is probably my upper limit.
I do have more expensive waxes only purchased when on offer.
1 really good wax was free through an offer buying liquids (power maxed typhoon)
Being here on DW makes it a bit easier to spend the cash though.
bigalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,533 Posts
Garage
There are some waxes coming out just now that are making use of the results of the very latest chemistry & materials science research - such waxes can take many, many blending iterations to get them useable whilst actually laying down the new chemistries in a way that is going to actually delivery better performance than what's already on the market. I'm talking about things like Obsession Wax Icon, Wowos Nano Coat and others.

The makers of these waxes need to make a return on their R&D as well as cover the costs of the advanced materials for the production waxes, which can be hundreds or even thousands of pounds per kilogramme, as well as make a margin to you know, eat, pay mortgages, rental on their premises, etc etc etc.

So when they come out and ask for £85 for a 200ml pot, in all honesty that sounds reasonable to me.

That said, I don't think I'll be buying such waxes (despite my intense curiosity about the chemistry in them) simply because I can't justify that kind of spend vs just getting one of the waxes I already have and just applying another coat Also, what forsh said - at the moment, if I wanted my car to look a lot better, what it needs is some not another LSP, no matter how clever it may be or how fancy the pot. Always worth considering what your limiting factors are before you spend the £££...

Last edited by steelghost; 13-09-2017 at 02:31 PM.
steelghost is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (14-09-2017), Welshquattro1 (13-09-2017), Wilco (13-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
euge07
Orbital Oracle

Like steelghost says I'd love to try some of the more expensive ones to see, BUT I do a full decon and polish&LSP every 10 weeks or so and have too many waxes/sealants as it is,

currently using 50cal pentawax and top with bsd every 2nd week
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Wilco
Warning contains metal

Thanked 6,191 Times in 2,023 Posts
My take on it. Yes some are worth the extra money. Some aren't. The difficult bit is finding a price point you're comfortable with and then finding the best wax at that point. I've gone through 70+ waxes in my time on here and some represent excellent value whilst others seem a total rip off.

Try to find impartial reviews of any product that you have an interest in if cost is an issue. It can save a lot of money and more importantly disappointment in the long run.
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilco For This Useful Post:
steelghost (13-09-2017), Welshquattro1 (13-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Welshquattro1

Thanked 1,152 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
There are some waxes coming out just now that are making use of the results of the very latest chemistry & materials science research - such waxes can take many, many blending iterations to get them useable whilst actually laying down the new chemistries in a way that is going to actually delivery better performance than what's already on the market. I'm talking about things like Obsession Wax Icon, Wowos Nano Coat and others.

The makers of these waxes need to make a return on their R&D as well as cover the costs of the advanced materials for the production waxes, which can be hundreds or even thousands of pounds per kilogramme, as well as make a margin to you know, eat, pay mortgages, rental on their premises, etc etc etc.

So when they come out and ask for £85 for a 200ml pot, in all honesty that sounds reasonable to me.
This is a great explanation and spot on. Also as mentioned above the more expensive waxes tend to be more user friendly aswell. I've been known to buy the odd wax and its something I like using aswell,kind of therapeutic! Ok some have really fancy pots which drive up the price but then it's down to the buyer to decide if it's worth it to them.
Welshquattro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welshquattro1 For This Useful Post:
steelghost (13-09-2017), Wilco (13-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,533 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
My take on it. Yes some are worth the extra money. Some aren't. The difficult bit is finding a price point you're comfortable with and then finding the best wax at that point. I've gone through 70+ waxes in my time on here and some represent excellent value whilst others seem a total rip off.

Try to find impartial reviews of any product that you have an interest in if cost is an issue. It can save a lot of money and more importantly disappointment in the long run.
FWIW I've never paid more than £30 for a pot of wax, and I've never looked at my car and thought "oh, this would look so much better if it had UltraNinja SuperWax(TM)* on it". But if you find you want to scratch that itch, always worth asking on here, odds are someone will have used any given product you might be interested in.

It can't be stressed enough though, how much difference the prep makes. An average wax on a well prepared panel will look far, far better than SuperWax(TM) applied on a panel that's comparable in texture to a badger's backside

*Not a real product but if I ever get into the wax making game, it will be the first one I make

Last edited by steelghost; 13-09-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Apostrophes for the win!
steelghost is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
sm81 (13-09-2017)