Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 22-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
SadlyDistracted
Washmitt Meister

Garage
How about a list of polishers/correction businesses?

We have a great section on product and equipment traders, but nothing quite so clear on paint correction / polishing folks here in the UK

Would this be a great section to have by regions, might even drum up some business for them?

S
SadlyDistracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,884 Posts
Garage
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=40246.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
SadlyDistracted (22-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
SadlyDistracted
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Shiny,

Excellent - now I feel rather embarrassed for not having seen this !

Looks like we could do with a few more in the NW,

I have to admit to a bit of self interest after the dealer who I just bought my new (to me ) car frpm promised to 'detail as discussed' to correct the swirled paint and has frankly wasted his money and my time. And now the discusses should read 'disgust'!

There are no 'scratches' in the paint just lots of swirls that need polishing out and I unfortunately do not have the time or place to polish this year so I'd like someone who would not charge me an arm or two to give it a proper polish detail. (in the NW!)

S
Old 22-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,862 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadlyDistracted View Post
Shiny,

Excellent - now I feel rather embarrassed for not having seen this !

Looks like we could do with a few more in the NW,

I have to admit to a bit of self interest after the dealer who I just bought my new (to me ) car frpm promised to 'detail as discussed' to correct the swirled paint and has frankly wasted his money and my time. And now the discusses should read 'disgust'!

There are no 'scratches' in the paint just lots of swirls that need polishing out and I unfortunately do not have the time or place to polish this year so I'd like someone who would not charge me an arm or two to give it a proper polish detail. (in the NW!)

S
The problem is that if you want it detailed by a pro Detailer then you will be given a price that some may think that's to much for what he has offered. There is no haggling when it comes to pricing a detail, so best be prepared to be shocked if you think that getting your car professionally Detailed is going to be cheap.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Toto (24-10-2017)
Old 24-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Toto
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
The problem is that if you want it detailed by a pro Detailer then you will be given a price that some may think that's to much for what he has offered. There is no haggling when it comes to pricing a detail, so best be prepared to be shocked if you think that getting your car professionally Detailed is going to be cheap.
second that one
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:
chongo (24-10-2017)
Old 24-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
SadlyDistracted
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hmm, OK folks let me reconsider the question / 'ask' to be constrained to a pro polish with out all the addons e.g. wheels, dressing etc?
Old 24-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
If you shop on price alone then you could end up disappointed with the result.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 24-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,260 Times in 4,845 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Hmm, OK folks let me reconsider the question / 'ask' to be constrained to a pro polish with out all the addons e.g. wheels, dressing etc?
Any detailer you speak to should be able to accommodate nearly any request you have. Even if they have packages listed they will also be bespoke of you want to adjust them slightly.
A simple machine polish to remove swirls without removing wheels etc is very very common
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
SadlyDistracted (24-10-2017), suspal (26-10-2017)
Old 24-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
Caledoniandream
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
We have a great section on product and equipment traders, but nothing quite so clear on paint correction / polishing folks here in the UK

Would this be a great section to have by regions, might even drum up some business for them?

S
I feel your pain, but it’s a very difficult subject.
I too don't have an idea what a decent detail would cost, and would it be worth it.
Some of the stuff here posted by the professionals, is absolute amazing and more an artform than a job.
Would it cost £ 250, £ 150, or maybe £ 500 a day, I don't know, would be nice to have an inclination, but how are you going to compare?
The boy around the corner probably buffs your car and wax it for £100 in 4-5 hours, if you happy with it, then everybody happy.
If you have a look at many the cars straight from the dealer, then I would not even willing to pay £25 for the job, but I can assume that 90% of the British car buyers are totally happy with that.
It’s a bit like engineering, we can give you an estimate, but we won’t quote on new developments, as you come always across something that request a little bit more time to make it perfect.
A lot of detailers can do a good job, some a very good job, and very few a perfect job (inside the constraints of the base where they work from, e.g. thin paint, deep scratches etc.)
I guess the pricing follows the same constrains.
And again, what are you aiming for? Absolute perfection, or a good result?
Caledoniandream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
SadlyDistracted
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The North, LA12, seems to be a bit of a detailer dessert, nearest folks from the sponsors list Deadeye , 65 miles and Obsidian100 miles away :-(

So I'm left wondering what a good polishing (swirl removal) runs to £££ wise for a very clean Carbon Black metallic BMW 5 series, it's not a show car its a bit of a daily/weekly driver, but will be kept very clean. Just trying to ball park it, appreciating it'll be a guestimate unseen
S.