Detailing World Forum banner

Guaranteed protection against bird poop & insects...?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  roscopervis 
#1 ·
Hi all

I'm still deliberating as to what protection to choose for a new car which arrives in a few weeks. I've been reading/watching for hours the debate between waxes (or sealants) and coatings. I'm leaning towards the wax side due to: 1. me being a novice 2. having limited time for the car to cure 3. not having a dedicated garage 4. extra cost (?)

One thing I'm really interested in is this - if I choose to go down the wax/sealant route, is there a product that can guarantee me 100% protection against bird poop & insects? In other words, once removed, they won't damage the paint at all (providing I clean it off ASAP). Is it true that a coating is far better than a selant for this? (so I was recently told by a detailer)

Many thanks for your help :thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
it all depends whats in the bird muck - how acid etc. I've never had an issue with anything when I've used a super durable product like FK1000 or Megs 16 etc. The key though is to get to it quickly and not leave it to bake in the sun etc.

Tree sap can sometimes need a clay or a dedicated organic cleaner to remove it if its bad, but anything that can stop it immediately hitting the paint is going to help.

A quality coating is likely to win compared to most LSPs but I reckon stuff like Collinite, FK1000, AG HD etc will do a damn good job. Probably loads of other super tough waxes/sealants as well but thse are proven favourites.

You may find things like the Gtechniq C2v3 spray sealant will do nearly as good job if kept topped up and no need for a garage to apply iy. I just got a bottle and havent used it yet so its just speculation.

#6 · (Edited)
No wax or sealant can guarantee that. With some caution you can safely remove bugs and bird poo but that not down to the type of wax.

As for bird poo...Ive heard that Optimum coatings have a "feature" too repel bird poo or to say it differently, if you leave bird poo on the car in the sun for a few days the acids in the poo break down and it doesn't leave behind any staining. Ive yet to try this.

Clear bra on the other hand is a option especially for bugs. But its expensive to apply.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

Still no clear answer then. Some say no, some say maybe and others say there ARE products that repel bird doo-da.

OK, so I already have some Collinite 845. Would I be able to use that AND something like Gtechniq C2v3 to offer extra protection? Or would that combination not work?

(PS. I'll look into your recommendation percymon)

#10 ·
The key is to catch it early as possible. I have yet seen a test that provides evidence that a wax, sealants, and coating have in some way provided protection from bird �� or insect �� crap.
No, I realise the importance of clearing it off ASAP. Up to now I've simply kept a bottle of water in the car along with some paper towels. I've a feeling that's not the best way to remove bird poop on the go. What do you guys do/use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.