Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
James & his AMG
Unwashed Member

Garage
Protection on Black C63

Hi all,

A reader on these forums but now a member and first time poster. I have just bought a 2012 C63 in black, it has had a machine polish from the dealer so I'm now looking for a mirror shine

I have used Bilt-hamber products on my cars generally but have only ever gone as far as Autoglym SRP and Bilt-hamber double speed wax after the claying process. I am now considering a glaze, sealant and wax process instead

I have Bilt-hamber autowash, korossol, clay, and cleanser-fluid(IPA) so that will be the base for the work. The question is what to use after this to achieve a mirror shine finish, I have considered products designed for black cars

Poorboys black hole glaze, EX-P sealant, followed by either Nattys black paste wax or dodo purple haze wax, maintenance washed with poorboys QD+

Maybe even a ceramic coating which eliminates the use of the above 3 products if I have done my research correct and could just ceramic coat only? I can then maintenance wash with my plentiful supply of Sonax BSD

What would you suggest? I will be applying all products by hand, I have a budget of up to £70 and time spent is not an issue

Many thanks in advance. Pictures of the finished product bases on your suggestion to be posted within the next few weeks

Please be kind!
James
James & his AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,258 Times in 895 Posts
Garage
There are many great ceramic coatings on the market and for black this could be a good solution to help prevent swirls and wash marring.

You wouldn't want to use any sort of glaze before hand, either a finishing polish if your paint is in good condition and then a panel wipe prep, or a paint primer product which won't require a wipe down.
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,441 Times in 2,681 Posts
Sealants like like bare paint best

Blackfire products spring to mind and are often put fwd as a good choice for this colour although it will work well on most colours.
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
James & his AMG
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman88 View Post
There are many great ceramic coatings on the market and for black this could be a good solution to help prevent swirls and wash marring.

You wouldn't want to use any sort of glaze before hand, either a finishing polish if your paint is in good condition and then a panel wipe prep, or a paint primer product which won't require a wipe down.
So I could use Bilt-hamber cleanser polish followed by then Ceramic pro 9H for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC250 View Post
Sealants like like bare paint best

Blackfire products spring to mind and are often put fwd as a good choice for this colour although it will work well on most colours.
They are just a little too expensive in my opinion. Does a glaze like black hole that covers defects under a sealant not make sense? Then protected over the top by a wax
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
matty.13
PC Perfectionist

Tac systems moonshine for ceramic or Adams glaze and Adams Americana wax if you prefer a wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,441 Times in 2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James & his AMG View Post

They are just a little too expensive in my opinion. Does a glaze like black hole that covers defects under a sealant not make sense? Then protected over the top by a wax

Sure it will work, just won't get the same longevity out of the sealant you would if applying to bare paint. If that's not a priority in choice of LSP then you are fine.
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,768 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
I wouldn't put Cleanser Polish under a ceramic coating, but given as you already have DSW, a coat of CP and two coats of that wax is one of my favourite combinations.

If you wanted to buy all new, your budget would easily get you into the Blackfire system, eg Gloss Enhancing Polish, All Finish Paint Protection, Midnight Sun wax.

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/e...uct&db_pid=106
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
detailR
DW Supporter

How well has the car been machine polished from the dealership? In all honesty, it more than likely needs some more machine work to ensure a fresh base for a Ceramic - any swirls and things that are left would be sealed in for a long ling time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & his AMG View Post
So I could use Bilt-hamber cleanser polish followed by then Ceramic pro 9H for example?
You wouldn't be able to buy any Ceramic Pro coatings. Even if you could, 9H would be way out of the £70 budget for the product

Ceramic Pro - Auto Finesse - ODK Wax - PVD Approved SunTek Paint Protection Film
Instagram @detailr Facebook @detailR
detailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
James & his AMG
Unwashed Member

Garage
Thanks DetailR. Seems like I wasn't looking at Ceramic pro 9h, just copys!

Im only an amateur but I think the car has been pretty well polished, I can only see some swirls under torchlight.

It sounds like wax might be the better idea for me then. Should I use what I have in DSW and just buy cleanser-polish and some kind of glaze or sealant. Is this even needed as cleanser-polish is an AIO?
So
Cleaner-polish
Glaze?/Sealant
DSW

Or the blackfire route which comes in at £60 (Thanks Steelghost):
Gloss Enhancing Polish
All Finish Paint Protection/Crystal Seal
Midnight Sun wax

Both of these polishes are advertised as like a glaze as well as a polish
Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
Kev.O
Washmitt Meister

Can't wait to see the car, really love the C63.
Kev.O is offline   Reply With Quote