Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > The Homebrew Experience - A World of Shine by You- > The Alternative Moonshine Experience
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Alternative Moonshine Experience A section for all those homemade waxes, shampoo's, polishes and qd's

Old 22-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #11
BigLeegr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbruiser View Post
if it was at a show that shine was not from the vinegar but from being compounded to death
Of course the clarity would need to be achieved by polishing first, but my comment was more to the efficacy of the vinegar spray not inducing swirls/cobwebbing as they used it to wipe dust and fingerprints off throughout the multi-day shows.
BigLeegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
trv8
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I tested a 'homemade' vinegar spray for a month, never again .......

I put on a stone in weight.....every time I sprayed it, I just had to have a bag of chips .
trv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
voon
Orbital Oracle

Garage
The only real reason for an acidic cleaner to me would be to remove lime stains / water spots from dried up tap water. Otherwise, I avoid anything acidic completely on the car, not going to help it rust.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
Ben Gum
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
The only real reason for an acidic cleaner to me would be to remove lime stains / water spots from dried up tap water. Otherwise, I avoid anything acidic completely on the car, not going to help it rust.
Just FYI- many ‘non acid’ products are horrendously corrosive. In fact many of the milder acid cleaners are dramatically less corrosive, less dangerous and less likely to cause damage than some of the most commonly recommended wheel cleaner on this forum.

You have to be very careful how much faith you have in what you read online, even when coming as consensus from (apparently) good sources. You must remember that a place like DW is home to a bunch of people who like cleaning cars. Very few have a notion about science. Of those who do, many read it online and can’t actually go beyond requoting. Ultimately, the technical base derived from the brands and many of them have demonstrably limited chemical knowledge, in addition to a vested interest in selling you their own products, where a need to differentiate from the norm can lead to rather dubious marketing.

Sorry, bit of a rant! Take home message - acids are not generally bad. Non acids are definitely not, generally, good. Accept that and you automatically get into the to 20 percent of this class!
Ben Gum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben Gum For This Useful Post:
Cookies (30-01-2018), toni (16-02-2018), ttc6 (30-01-2018)