Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 21-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #21
jonnyboy82
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopkins View Post
I'm gutted for you too, only recently did a mobile fitter attack mine see here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=392792 I've put a complaint in and now I'm waiting for the result. I too want two new alloys, they damaged them, they should replace them. Refurbishments imo are never the same.

We should have a wall of shame for these cowboys!

Name and Shame! Stop other members getting shafted!
jonnyboy82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #22
Frog
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRH View Post
Given that it's a routine part of the job, you'd think they'd have a specific tool for it
There is one, it is a scraper that looks a bit like a chisel but it is made entirely of nylon. They are about a tenner, we use then all the time when we are teaching kids to do tyres.

The guy has also damaged the rims by not fitting the wheel correctly to the machine, alloy wheels should always be gripped from the outside, your wheel has clearly been gripped by the inside and that's what's caused those tell tail little dots in the square pattern.

Last edited by Frog; 21-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #23
Nidge76
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I was polite but firm in my email and if I don't get the response I want I will take it higher.

I will leave the social media side of things for now but will consider it if necessary.

I suppose I am naive to think I paid a professional to do a professional job.

I just can't believe after gouging the wheel the first time someone wouldn't think there is a better way rather than just continously damaging the wheel and then thinking, I know u will do the same on the other wheel as well.

I even washed the car beforehand as I do before mot's etc just so it shows the pride I have with my car in the hope they see that it's well cared for.

I'm so upset I did my first machine polishing on the car the same day and was pleased with the results but it means nothing to me at this moment in time.
Nidge76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #24
rhopkins
Sponge Jockey

I too ensured my wheels were clean and presentable thinking the fitter would be impressed and hoped he too would show some love for them back. Seems they either don't care or it's an act of jealousy.
rhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #25
Frog
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge76 View Post

I'm so upset I did my first machine polishing on the car the same day and was pleased with the results but it means nothing to me at this moment in time.
Mate I have been in and around the motor trade for 35 years now and nothing ever suprises me anymore. Worst case senario is you will have to have the wheels refurbed and stand the cost, having said that a couple of hours tlc and a rattle can and you would be able to get them to an acceptable std yourself.

Should it have happened? No, they guy that did it is a muppet(a lazy one at that). Would I be ****ed off? Yup, mainly because I hate people bringing my trade down by being useless lazys gits.
Don't let it destroy the love of your car, it simply isn't worth it.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #26
Nidge76
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Thing is I was having 2 perfectly good tyres changed because I had a screw in both tyres and the fitter said you are either very unlucky or someone has something against me!

I think that's another reason I missed the damage as he got me to watch him torquing up the nuts and then took me to his van to show me the 2 screws in the tyres. At this point he got in his van and left. In hindsight I wonder if he was deflecting me from seeing the damage he had done.

Had a minor update in that I received an email about 10 minutes ago. My local branch has received my email and photo's from their head office and they want more photo's so they can speak to the fitter and look into it.

Let's see what happens next and thanks for listening to my moaning
Nidge76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nidge76 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (21-04-2017), Frog (21-04-2017)
Old 21-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #27
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,389 Posts
Garage
That is gutting OP and I'd be annoyed too. The trouble is so many people don't think much of the inside of the wheels as long as there's no kerb marks, even though that should be the point.

I had a tyre changed by a local branch of Tyre City and bearing in mind I'd recently had the faces of my wheels painted. I came out to see the wheels re-fitted on my car and spotted this..

They initially denied causing the damage, then I spotted that round the lip of the wheel they'd taken paint off. When I pointed this out, they blamed the finish on the wheel etc.

Then turned round and said, "We'll pay for it because if you go to head office they'll pay it out anyway, get it done and give us the bill." I was annoyed as I knew full well the wheels were mint prior to going in.

So I popped something on my own Facebook page as I was annoyed with it, that got shared and when I went back into the branch with the bill. They paid me in cash and the guy says sarcastically, "Perhaps you can now tell social media that we paid you out for the damage".

I actually contacted their customer services who were as useless as a one legged man in an ar*e kicking contest so I'll never be using them again.

And breathe! haha In short, I hope you get it sorted OP.
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #28
Frog
Washmitt Meister

The problem with fitting tyres is that modern low profiles and run flats are a real struggle to do and you must have the latest generation of machines to do it. These machines are not cheap and they do require a level of expertise to operate them properly.
Even with them it relatively easy to mark a wheel when mounting or de-mounting the tyre, accidents can happen.
It's all about how that accident is handled, if the garage owns up, points out the damage and then offers to sort it out then although you are still upset, you can accept it.
It's when they lie, b/s, try to hide and deny it that really gets me frustrated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:
sshooie (21-04-2017)
Old 21-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #29
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,389 Posts
Garage
Totally agree Frog, if they put their hands up and go, "our fault" you don't mind.

What frustrated me was their denial and implying that I was essentially lying. Ironically I took an alloy to the same fitter mentioned above and had a low profile tyre fitted without issue. Hence I went back.

The wheel they managed to damage was a 17" OEM wheel which don't have low profile tyres. I think they took less care seeing it was an older car with high mileage.
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #30
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

This sucks. Has it come to a point where if we need to have our tyres changed we should take the wheel off at home, carefully remove the old weights and then take car down to the garage for them to change the tyre?

If a garage doesn't have the right tools to do the job they should advise the customer who can then decide if they should go elsewhere.
Arvi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arvi For This Useful Post:
rhopkins (21-04-2017)