Detailing World Forum banner

The Pressure Washer Upgrade & DIY Setup Thread

278K views 425 replies 88 participants last post by  spyk3d 
#1 · (Edited)
So, there's been a lot of threads (and PMs!) about this topic - upgrading hoses, guns and lances on "normal" PWs, and extending home setups (hose reels, water butts and pumped water setups) etc. So I thought it was worth kicking off a thread where folks can post their own setups, ask questions about upgrades they're thinking about and get inspiration and ideas from what others are doing. I'll kick off by copying my post from this thread...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine is a bit of a mongrel of a setup:

Kranzle HD7/122

Kranzle M2000 standard gun, adapted to 19.5mm inlet quick release and Kew outlet quick release
MTM Hydro "Astra" wash gun adapted to same connections as above

Standard Kranzle flat jet, Dirtkiller and underbody lances adapted to Kew quick release
Pressure Washer Parts UK "cranked" lance 450mm with interchangeable nozzles
DIY "Shortie" lance with female QR straight into Kew probe so interchangeable nozzles can be attached straight onto the end of either gun

Foam lance adapted to Kew QR (again, for use on either gun)

15m hose on a reel with Mosmatic swivel at gun end
Original Kranzle 10m hose with 19.5mm QR fittings - can be used standalone if I take the machine elsewhere or as an extension to hose on reel if needed.

DIY mobile platform for PW to allow for easier movement (some large castors attached to a piece of plywood, essentially)

All sits on / hangs off a DIY bracket / hanger / system organiser in the garage.

Pics:

DIY bracket

DIY bracket, other side.

Both guns

Lances - top to bottom, underbody, flat jet, Dirtkiller, cranked, shortie Vario, shortie (interchangeable nozzles)

Foam lance adapted for Kew QR

Platform rear view - shock cord secures the machine on top

Platform side view - the grubby MF is by way of insulation to keep the warmth in from the trace heating cable wrapped around the pump head

QR for machine outlet. You can see the camlock inlet and the trace heating cable as well

Original Kranzle hose adapted for 19.5mm QR

My Mosmatic swivel :argie: on the end of the 15m hose on the reel

Adapted hose so I can connect a normal hose to the machine (normally it runs off a 25mm ID hose from the water butts, to a camlock connector on the inlet)

Edit - I've added some of the recent (and not so recent!) threads that made me think to start this one, which may also be useful:

Rob D 88's K4 Change Of Gun Thread
andyfish's PW upgrade thread (specifically regarding DIY options for a new PW build)
Whizzer's shortie lance thread
steelghost's running a PW off a waterbutt thread (with particular emphasis on parts and fittings needed to achieve sufficient flow rate)
bigbruiser's K4 lance upgrade thread

Any others you think would be useful to include here, PM me and I'll edit this post.

See less See more
#368 ·
Hello,

I've sprung a leak in my current hose and was wondering if there was anyway of repairing it, or would I need buying a new hose? Also my current PW (Nilfisk) I believe is coming to the end of its lifespan (lot more pulsating going on these days) or I could be totally wrong.

If I need/want to upgrade everything is there a good budget option that anyone can recommend. This is just for hobbyist useage, once every fortnight or so.

#369 ·
Hello,

I've sprung a leak in my current hose and was wondering if there was anyway of repairing it, or would I need buying a new hose? Also my current PW (Nilfisk) I believe is coming to the end of its lifespan (lot more pulsating going on these days) or I could be totally wrong.

If I need/want to upgrade everything is there a good budget option that anyone can recommend. This is just for hobbyist useage, once every fortnight or so.
However, it is not the leak on the hose that causes the machine to pulse?

#375 ·
I've just had a nice delivery from Direct Hoses. I decided to upgrade my trigger and lance for my Karcher K4 after reading the various posts on here.

I repeatedly emailed and rang Qwashers but they never returned my calls etc.

I then found out about direct hoses and gave them a ring, phone was answered within a few rings and spoke to an extremely helpful chap at length about what I wanted.

We worked out a spec which is virtually the same as Qwashers yet was nearly half the price. He didn't have the trigger in and was expecting them in on the 1st Dec but he even sourced me one from somewhere else so I didn't have to wait.

All in all absolutely fantastic service.

Here is what I got. The hose is 15m and the gun has a swivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#378 ·
I have now read every reply in this thread and I'm still no closer to finding an answer for the following question.

On a nilfisk c125 what is the spec of the connection of the outlet?

Lots of people its saying m22 but I remember reading at least 2 examples where people had issues with a m22 popping off of the machine.

Can anyone elaborate what this conneciton actually is?

I'm looking to build a setup from multiple places to keep it as cheap as possible.

Also what is the best all round connection to have at both ends of your lance hose? More for when wanting to move the hose to differnt machine & lances.

3/8's seems to be quite common but should it be male or female or one of each?

#379 ·
Just had a read through this thread after getting myself a new Kranzle 1050P so thanks for everyone's contributions! I am looking to upgrade to:

1 x M22 Female 20mm (cross section) Quick Release Body LQRFM22FM22
1 x M22 Male 20mm (cross section) Quick Release Probe LQRPM22MM22
1 x M22 Male 20mm (cross section) Quick Release Body LQRFM22MM22
1 x M22 Female 20mm (cross section) Quick Release Probe LQRPM22FM22

1 x MV925 M22 Swivel Gun
1 x 15m M22 hose

The only question I have is what size quick release nozzles would I need for my machine? There seems to be multiple sizes in the different colour ones.

#380 ·
Hi guys,

First post here today. One of the local car forums is trying to get a group buy started on hoses and hose reels. So inspired by this I started to look into the different options available and came across this thread. What a wealth of information available!

I have compiled a parts list of what I think I need to be able to have my Karcher K2 mounted inside the garage on the wall and use an extended hose. I haven't factored in a hose reel just yet as it is not quite inside my budget but I have selected parts that will allow me to swap in a reel at a later date. I've also selected parts so that if my Karcher was to fail, I can then swap out for a better PW. See parts list with links below.

I've also attached two photos of what I was working on last weekend, again thanks to some inspiring posts on here. I can see a lot of money being spent over the next few weeks ;) I've got hot and cold taps now for filling buckets. No more walking wet shoes into the kitchen to fill the buckets up. :lol:
And one cold supply up higher where I will mount the PW on a shelf. I also ran power to an outdoor rated double socket, one for the PW and one for an extension lead that I can run out for hoovering etc.

If you could look over my parts list and see if I have made the right selections or if there is anything that would worth changing, please let me know I would be very grateful.

Inlet---Item---Outlet
Karcher---Adaptor Hose---M22 (M) Link
M22---Quick Release---14.8 QR (M) Link
14.8 ---Quick Release---3/8" (F) Link
3/8"---Hose (20m)---3/8" (M) Link
3/8"---Quick Release---14.8 QR (F) Link

14.8---Quick Release---3/8" (M) Link
3/8"---Gun with Swivel---1/4" (F) Link
14"---Quick Release---11.6 QR (F) Link
11.6---Lance Link

Wood Fixture Wood stain Plank Hardwood

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Machine Electrical supply

#383 ·
This is from the Obsessed Garage site:

This is the OG spec Mosmatic Stainless Steel Wand. The wand is 20" long and has a built in stainless plug on the inlet and has an extremely high quality and precise a 1/4" coupler on the outlet. This design reduces potential failure points of my previous version. The inlet plug and outlet 1/4" coupler are much more precise than any other. You'll notice in the photos that the nozzle assembly now quickly disconnects from the head of the wand for use on the outlet of any gun.

and thank you for letting me know about Excel Detailing stocking the wand:D

#386 ·
If anyone's looking for a trolley to mount their PW onto, Lidl have these on special:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parkside-folding-load-carrier-or-aluminium-flat-bed-trolley/p34518

For £20 they are not bad, box says 150kg but instructions say 100kg, 100kg seems about the max I would want on it.

The wheels need to be bolted on, I added a few washers to space it correctly and stop it crushing the rails underneath.

The bed can be expanded or shrunk, handle does up and down as well:
Wood Gas Musical instrument Automotive tire Hardwood

Wood Bumper Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Considering a Kranzle 1050 but no wheels so hoping this might be just the ticket to make it mobile when needed (if anyone ever gets any stock...)

#389 · (Edited)
Finally got myself a hose reel so that the K4 can stay put in the new garage as it came with a tap within the garage.

Hose reel c/w a 2mtr connecting hose to the PW - £69.95 - Took nigh on 3wks to arrive but it's a decent reel - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15m-20m-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Stubby gun and lance with a Karcher qk connect fitting and a swivel to stop the hose twisting in use - £36.99 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

3/8bsp male to 1/4bsp female to connect my hose to the reel to shorten the connections and stop the hose from hitting the connecting hose when reeling it in/out - £2.59 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nickel-P...var=622526550433&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Brass qk release couplings on the PW outlet and tap hose - £1.89 + £3.48 x 2 each -
https://www.toolstation.com/brass-tap-connector/p66154

Sleeve anchors to fix hose reel to breeze block wall - £4.35 for 10, only 4 required - https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sleeve-anchor-10-x-75mm-m8-10-pack/16027

#392 ·
Finally got myself a hose reel so that the K4 can stay put in the new garage as it came with a tap within the garage.

Hose reel c/w a 2mtr connecting hose to the PW - £69.95 - Took nigh on 3wks to arrive but it's a decent reel - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15m-20m-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Stubby gun and lance with a Karcher qk connect fitting and a swivel to stop the hose twisting in use - £36.99 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

M22 male to 1/4 bsp female connector to connect my hose to the M22 fitting on the reel - £4.71 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Fema...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Brass qk release couplings on the PW outlet and tap hose - £1.89 + £3.48 x 2 each -
https://www.toolstation.com/brass-tap-connector/p66154

Sleeve anchors to fix hose reel to breeze block wall - £4.35 for 10, only 4 required - https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sleeve-anchor-10-x-75mm-m8-10-pack/16027

That's very tidy indeed, mate. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#400 ·
Hey guys,

Not trying to gate crash the thread or anything but I've started selling some pretty cool pressure washer spares, so if you after some high quality stainless accessories please check out my website if your interested!

A few bits still on back order but can preorder whatever you need.

https://carscope.co.uk

P.S. let me know if there's anything you'd like me to stock!

Cheers
Henri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#403 ·
I'm looking at a short gun for my K5 and thinking that due to the length of the inlet once the adapters are fitted that stainless steel on the swivel end is worth the extra outlay. The MTM comes as a complete kit including stainless lance extension. I've also been looking at the Suttner easyclean365 and ST-2600 but once everything is added to the Suttner, it's roughly £20 more than the MTM. I think the Suttner is partially brass vs the MTM being entirely stainless.

What are peoples opinions on the MTM SGS35?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.