Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 16-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #41
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1449 View Post
Thees a man whos proud of his motor and rightly so, looks stunning mate keep up the good work
Thanks

Hoping to get it as near as spot on as I can, whilst not forgetting it will be driven (I do at least 15,000 miles a year) and that it is just about 10 years old - however, no one else needs know that
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #42
wrxmania

Garage
A busy day today on the car...

Started this morning, working on the dents/rust bits hidden behind the back bumper...looked reasonable at the start, and the Kurust had cured well, but on closer inspection, spent some time pulling back more paint flaking and Kurus-ing that worked out well.

Here is how it looked this morning:

After multiple more coats of Hammerite Kurust, left for a good while, then some coats of Lexus Black paint on top of the cure Kurust, followed by a coat of Lexus Lacquer (painted on) and then two coats of Halfords Acrylic Lacquer spray, the job was pretty solid feeling, dry and protected. I did not wax or put any coating on the paint to allow it to cure. Some in progress and complete shots:

And a completed shot:

During clean up and putting the bumper back on, I decided by chance to brush the upper inside of the rear arches - what a mess - it was like someone had compacted a bag of soil in the arch - now removed!!

And back together:

Pretty pleased with that - catching it by chance was good, and fixing the parking sensors (which now work spot on), and sorting a clip issue at the opposite side, I was buoyed by confidence after fitting the rear bumper. It was booked into the bodyshop to have the rear bumper clip & parking sensors checked, alongside the front nearside wing alignment and to sort the arch liners which the bodyshop had put on really badly (as you'll see) - after some diagram searching online, decided it was time to have a go at the front end bumper/wing issue!!

I then had a quick clean up of the exhaust tail pipes whilst I was there using some Metal Polish.

Before:

After:

And some gratuitous rear shots s

I then moved onto the front. This is what the arch liners looked like - on the outside edge of the bumper lip, and not fitting well further up!

And after some dismantling & rebuilding (yes - I did give the arches a G101 clean up and then some ratings of 303 Aerospace - no pics uploaded yet and not worth waiting for!):

Then the front wing issue - it goes from open at the back to being closed against the bonnet at the front bumper end, and the light also juts out of the wing. Not ideal:

And afterwards:

I then decided to give the engine bay another tidy up and now looks like this:

Final jobs for the day were going around the car with the touch up pen, taking in every mark I could find from door handles to inside wings, inside door shuts, in the engine bay etc. I also did the same with Kurust on several of the bolt heads in the wings and engine bay too for some OCD madness.

Lexus also called to say my spare key, roof bars, and all the missing trim clips I ordered are finally delivered! It;s going in on Friday afternoon to get the key coding done for the new key - and also to get the lower nearside Hybrid trims checked for the correct clips as they are a bit loose (they were re-done before I picked up the car but I still think the clips are wrong!). We'll see

I have now also cancelled the bodyshop booking for that day - no need as have now done all of the jobs myself

Car DESPERATELY needs a decent wash as it's been warm and very dusty and it's not been washed for a week since it was detailed. Will hopefully get to the before the weekend and then get onto the door shuts on all four doors as they all need paint cleansed, some polishing in places and then some protection.

Will keep you all updated, but it's getting there.

Last edited by wrxmania; 18-08-2016 at 11:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
ted11 (16-12-2017)
Old 18-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #43
wrxmania

Garage
So, today's updates...these arrived:

[/url]

These were a boot liner from Poland (which was on 4 weeks back order but arrive 2 weeks ahead of schedule - I held out to get this one as they are super high quality, flexible rubber). Also included were a set of used Lexus genuine mats and a boot trim panel from a breakers in Lithuania so a truly European delivery

Boot liner:

Empty boot:

With the boot liner:

Missing boot trim:

and then in place (before being treated with 303 Aerospace):

The mats as they arrived:

The mats included some mark, which seemed to be cement stuck into the fibres and some other marks which were NOT coming out - needed a trim with the scissors

After mighty pressure washing, then cleaning/scrubbing with AS G101 APC, pressure wash, more cleaning & soaking with G101, pressure washing, snubbing etc they eventually came up well.

Here is a back before & after:

And finally, some of the finished, drying mats:

Once completely dry they will be brushed & given a final tidy up, where needed, treated to some coats of Scotchguard and then stored until the weather goes downhill (even more than usual for Scotland!).

Not bad for a set of mats from the scrappies!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
lemansblue92 (18-08-2016), Marklocke (09-08-2017), SBM (23-08-2016), ted11 (16-12-2017)
Old 18-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #44
okcharlie
Orbital Oracle

Thanked 1,248 Times in 404 Posts
Nice work, bet your enjoying all the little jobs that make up the big picture. Amazing what turns up in the scrappy. Sometimes a little clean can is all that's required and you can save ££££££'s.
okcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #45
wrxmania

Garage
Indeed. Managing to do quite well so far.

All on the road to getting the car to as close to new condition as I can - and then maintaining that. Hoping to keep it in good shape as it racks up the miles and enjoy the combination of reliability, economy and brilliant performance, as well as comfort and quality.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #46
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The good work continues, nice. Great wheel design on these models too. Amazing to think it's 10 years old really.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (22-07-2017)
Old 19-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #47
Scotty Pro

Excellent progress thread and that car is a cracking example for something that age, I tip my hat to you.
Scotty Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Pro For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (22-07-2017)
Old 19-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #48
matt_83

Garage
Fantastic work so far! Don't see many of these about but they do look like a cracking alternative to a 5 series/E-class!
matt_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matt_83 For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (22-07-2017)
Old 19-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #49
wrxmania

Garage
Thanks all.

They are certainly a superb alternative to a 5 series, and especially an E class. Superbly built to last, brilliant engineering and performance (lit up the rear tyres and the dashboard traction lights going from 30 to 40 tonight in the wet with GOOD tyres fitted!) and very comfortable, quiet when you want it to be, and even manages 40 MPG on a longer trip without needing to be a diesel. The new ones even have £30 road tax!

Spent a while this morning cleaning the (new) black mats, hoovering them, using a material/bobble shaver to tidy them up, and then getting them dried ready for Scotchguard - they look almost like new - a bargain from Lithuania...

Passenger side, which was pretty scruffy:

Also then visited Lexus as planned this afternoon to drink free quality coffee, eat cakes, get a free Lexus teddy for my wee one as she was talking about it being her birthday - lo and behold one Lexus teddy! - oh and I also picked up all the missing trim clips needed, and got my new spare key programmed, which also came with a free Lexus leather keyring as a nice touch. Service at Lexus Edinburgh was, as usual, beyond expectations.

I also had them have a look at the two Hybrid trim detail panels on the passenger side front/rear doors - they are both slightly loose in their clips, and the dealer I bought the car from had paid £52 for clips for them from Lexus Tunbridge - but they were obviously still the wrong clips. Lexus today had a good look at them for me, even hunted the workshop for spare clips - but not joy. The bad news is the clips are fitted to the trims, and don't come separately, there is only one rear one available to be ordered for the UK left, and it's £180!!

After some discussion with the service manager, we came to the conclusion that would not be happening, and I'd be heading to B&Q for some black silicone.

After a visit to B&Q the trims will be unclipped, thoroughly cleaned behind and then this will be bonding them, along with the clips (there is one clip loose on the drivers side too - all will be sorted - permanently!!) - will be careful to get them bang on before sealing down!

My silver rear indicator bulbs have arrived too to replace the orange ones (need to remove the rear lamps to get proper access as the other lights are LED's are the mechanism/electronics bolted across it.

I'd LOVE to do the same at the front but it's a bumper out job pretty much - be great to get the orange reflectors out, the orange indicators bulbs gone (luckily the lenses are all clear and not "orangey" looking) and also to get some LED's into my main beam lights too... but all are awkward to access - and it would be the old "headlamps in the oven" job too! May still happen though, but back to work, 40,000 hours a week and life destroying stress next week so progress will slow a decent amount!

Also now on the hunt for a good full set of high quality barely part worn winter tyres - had ordered a full set of wheels from a seller on eBay but there was a mess up, one wheel sold before ending the auction, and I just got my money back - also can't be annoyed with the TPMS sensors needing coded by Lexus (or another garage) and the extra cost - I'll just do the tyre swap twice a year and store them in my garage. Done! The car does, however, allow two different sets of TPMS valves to be programmed & memorised, and even write the codes in the service book

Otherwise, it drives like a beast and I said to my wife, the bizarre thing is, EVERYTHING works perfectly! She seemed bemused I'd even comment on that

Brian.

Last edited by wrxmania; 19-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 20-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #50
wrxmania

Garage
Another quick hoover on the mats, now they are fully dry, and also a new windscreen sun cover and a few other things, but no real progress work