Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
ocdetailer
Orbital Oracle

Pajero Brought Back from the Brink

Completed this yesterday, was originally planned to be a 2 day complete restoration: machine sanding then 2 stage polishing entire car, 4 stage bulbar polishing, treat all glass with G4 and G3, 2 layers CarPro CQuartz UK on all paint, DLUX on wheels, trim, lights, bulbar, full interior steam detail. However because of unforseen circumstances it was reduced to doing whatever I could manage in one day on the exterior only, foregoing the bulbar, engine and other bits and pieces. Thankfully because of the soft paint I was still able to sand and polish the major panels and get decent results locked in with a layer of CQUK.

Now the pictures:

I'd washed the car 3 weeks earlier to just a bit of grime on it, nothing bad

Now this is where things get interesting. Why machine sand a relatively new car and sacrifice all that paint? Here's why.

Horrendous scratches covering pretty much the entire car. The owner admitted to having regularly used automatic car washes since the car was new but now has seen the error in his ways and sworn against them. The main offender however was trees. Between mango trees, spiky palms and overgrown hedges the number of deep scratches was unbelievable. Before taking on the job I made sure that the offending foliage was cut back. Now just for fun this is what it looked like under the Brinkmann and Flex Led Spotlight.

Oh and just in case I didn't have enough to do there were some pretty substantial touch ups (courtesy of bat poo, brick walls) as well as a good few dozen stone chips and door scrapes.

This one about sums up the challenge that lay ahead of me:

After a quick ONR wash and claying session I got on with the touch ups (using a pen bought online, surprisingly good) before a test section on the bonnet. Pictures are a bit limited from here on as time got away from me. The bonnet only had relatively short RIDS and pretty heavy swirls but was the best panel on the car. 2 hits with Rupes Zephyr Gloss on a Blue Rupes microfiber cutting pad via the LHR15 brought about these results:

Before:

After:

Plenty good enough given the parameters of the job however after one hit of the same combo on one of the front wings I knew I'd have to resort to sanding the worst panels given my limited time frame otherwise I'd spend all day compounding. Luckily paint readings were between 92 and 108 around the whole car and an average of 54 in the door shuts meant plenty of clear coat to play with

In the end I sanded about 7 panels using my Metabo SXE400 3" DA and a mixture of 3M trizact and SIA 3000 grit pads. Not the best example of machine sanding I know but seeing as I wasn't removing deeper sanding marks or trying to level orange peel I figured I could work a bit quicker (hence the slightly uneven sanding). Also the only shots of the touch up work as I forgot to get close up afters.

Compounding was done with the same combo as mentioned above, here are some shots from after compounding.

Still some deep scratches which I would have hand sanded out using 1500 had I had the 2 days but would just have to stay given the compromises.

My new 50W LED floodlight made working in the garage much easier, saved me having to grab the brinkmann everytime I finished a set.

At this point I'd spent 4.5 hours sanding and compounding (didn't do the roof, lower skirts, door pillars or front/rear bumpers, owner just wanted the noticeable deep scratches gone). There was quite a bit of dust from compounding (first time I've had that much from the Rupes system, probably the microfibre pad and the fact that the machine was tilted at all sorts of angles to do the curvy bits) so I went around with the air compressor and some microfibres and dusted it down. I then set about refining the finish using Rupes Diamond Gloss on a White Rupes pad, again with the LHR15. Here are some post polishing shots after an IPA wipedown. On a side note, can anyone tell me what the faint holograms are from (noticeable only under the LED torch)? I only used Rupes Bigfoot system, no rotary and under LED floodlight and Brinkmann the reflection is perfect. It really bugged me as even with the finest polish/pad combo I have they were still there and I don't know whether it is an imperfection or just something funky in the reflection (this is the first time I've used the FLEX light).

At this point time was quickly running out so no more pics until the afters. The car was given a CarPro Eraser wipedown (excellent product, noticeably better than IPA and can feel the anti static properties working) before a coat of CQUK was applied to all paint (not just polished areas). Front and rear screens were coated with Gtechniq G3, rest of glass cleaned inside and out. Tyres dressed with two coats of PERL diluted 1:1. A final Reload wipedown and here are the results of 9 hours work:

The touch ups came out quite well (for reference the large ones were on the driver [right hand] side front wing) and the owner was very pleased with the result given the short time scale. This was also my first time using CQUK and i was very impressed with it. Spreads very easily and after 4-5 mins curing in 18 degree ambient temps buffed off as easily as a premium wax. In my opinion application wasn't much more involved than a normal wax or sealant but that may well change when Summer comes around. I would've loved the extra day to really make the car presentable and sort details like wheel arches, DLUX on all plastics, bulbar polishing and of course correct the more intricate areas. This also would've been the perfect detail to test the new Scholl S0 'matting compound' but of unfortunately it was released in my country on the day of the detail

I hope you've enjoyed the write up, I was planning on taking loads more during pics but didn't have the time. All comments, criticism and questions are more than welcome.
ocdetailer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ocdetailer For This Useful Post:
badman1972 (08-06-2015), Estoril-5 (08-06-2015), HAWKEY_SKYLINE (11-08-2014), mjn (08-06-2015), SBM (09-07-2014), sprocketser (09-07-2014), stuartr (09-07-2014), Workhorse (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
tonyy
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,538 Times in 4,478 Posts
Garage
Superb job
tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyy For This Useful Post:
ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
AS_BO
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

That's some job pal!! Well done on what looked like a full on ordeal!
AS_BO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AS_BO For This Useful Post:
ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Rabidracoon28

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,215 Posts
A really great job there, well done mate. Liking the look of the old Jag in the garage too👍
Rabidracoon28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabidracoon28 For This Useful Post:
JwilliamsM (09-07-2014), ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
Workhorse
Washmitt Meister

I wish I could get mine looking this good! My mitsubishi paint is so soft even the softest, high quality microfibres marr and scratch the pŕint after polishing.
Great job
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workhorse For This Useful Post:
ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,362 Times in 1,276 Posts
Garage
Nice work, can't believe the difference
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian6984 For This Useful Post:
ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Dazzel81

Garage
some turnaround there fella, great work
Dazzel81 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzel81 For This Useful Post:
ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
badly_dubbed

Garage
Send a message via MSN to badly_dubbed
good turnaround....

.....still some light hologramming present though?
badly_dubbed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badly_dubbed For This Useful Post:
ocdetailer (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
ocdetailer
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidracoon28 View Post
A really great job there, well done mate. Liking the look of the old Jag in the garage too��
Thanks. Actually it's a Daimler, hopefully I'll be doing a full orange peel removal, show car detail on it later this year topped with some colour matched Polish Angel Cosmic. It's already won some awards it'll look amazing after I'm done.
The Following User Says Thank You to ocdetailer For This Useful Post:
Rabidracoon28 (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
ocdetailer
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by badly_dubbed View Post
good turnaround....

.....still some light hologramming present though?
Thanks. I'm not sure whether it is hologramming. Under the Brinkmann it wasn't visible, same with my 50W LED floodlight. A hologram free finish is one of the selling points of the Bigfoot system. Maybe it's some light marring from wiping paint off? I'd have thought that that sort of marring would resemble the microfiber pad marring. I'll ask one of the pro's about it (unless someone chimes in who knows the answer)

Tags
cquartz uk, rupes bigfoot, wet sanding