Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 19-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,174 Times in 1,143 Posts
Garage
Trim help?

Ok, might sound a bit dim. Any ideas on what to use and how, for a Ford Focus front bumper black trim 2014 model, one part is triangular in shape, would a spray be simpler?
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,169 Posts
Garage

Are you talking about the bit above the number plate? Or below it?

If above, you could use more or less any dressing you liked, but given the complexity of the design I would get it all spotless with APC, dried off, then apply something like Carpro DLUX with a foam swab to get into all the intricate areas. This will give it a really dark black look, make it really hydrophobic and make it much easier to clean.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
ibiza55

Thanked 1,174 Times in 1,143 Posts
Garage
Thanks, it is the focus before this facelift, but sounds like good advice, I know this could go everywhere, but Adams in an out spray did cross my mind once the plastic was clean thoroughly.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
steelghost

Garage
Having recently put DLUX on most of the trim on my car, I can't see I'd ever want to do anything else. It looks better than any other trim dressing I've ever used, it lasts for ages, the water behaviour is great, and it's not even all that dear, considering one bottle has done all my wheels and all the trim on the car, with still about ¼ bottle left
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
todds (20-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
Rich
Kosovan Detailer

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Is it easy to use?

I am contemplating the purchase of some to address a similar situation with the front grille on my car which is a nightmare to dress as well. I like the idea that I can also use it on my wheels which will save the purchase of another product.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
Marcwithac
Sponge Jockey

I'd definitely second the advice of using a swab for intricate areas. Just done my grills with this method and it was far better. Never used DLUX but can recommend gtechniq C4
Marcwithac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is it easy to use?

I am contemplating the purchase of some to address a similar situation with the front grille on my car which is a nightmare to dress as well. I like the idea that I can also use it on my wheels which will save the purchase of another product.
Actually applying it is very straightforward. It's the prep that can be a bit tedious, since for best results surfaces need to be clean, free of all oils and grease, and dry. For trim, I use a 25% dilution of Surfex HD and a detailing brush, rinse, dry, then wipe down with panel wipe.

For use on wheels the same applies ie clean and dry, how easy it is to get to that depends on the state of your wheels. Of course you need to be able to get them off the car to be able to do the barrels and backs of the spokes properly.

Finally you do need to avoid getting it wet after application. Carpro say 24 hours, however when I did the trim last week it got rained on after 12 hours or so with no ill effects.
Rich (20-05-2017)
Old 20-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
steelghost

Garage
Here's a pic from last night of the scuttle and wiper arm beading nicely
Old 20-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwithac View Post
I'd definitely second the advice of using a swab for intricate areas. Just done my grills with this method and it was far better. Never used DLUX but can recommend gtechniq C4
From what I can tell they're pretty similar as they use very similar basic chemistry - but of course like with waxes, what else goes into the formulation will effect other parameters of their behaviour. I got DLUX as 30ml was only slightly more than 15ml of the equivalent Gtechniq product.
Marcwithac (20-05-2017)
Old 20-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #10
tosh

Have a look on eBay for "printer swabs"; get a 10 pack and use scissors to shape them to the size you need

For scuttles, make up pads are good

I use pads to clean things first so you know the angles and directions you need to bend in when you follow with the coating. You'll also see where you might 'colour outside the lines' so you can either be careful or put some tape down.

If you think it's going to rain, you can always wipe over with some Reload or similar after an hour or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
steelghost (22-05-2017)