Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > Garage/Product Collections
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage/Product Collections Post your Garage or Product Collection pics here....

Old 15-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #21
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

Did you put a DPM..damp proof membrane (visqueen) under the concrete?.If you did,shouldnt need anything else.I would wait and see how the floor dries...before spending any more money.
The other consideration is ventilation....when the floor dries,if you see drips from the roof or the garage door (if its metal) has moisture on it...you need more ventilation.

Last edited by aka.eric; 15-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #22
Gav147
Washmitt Meister

It is not about letting water in, it is water that will get into the concrete under the floor. If you look at the second photo you posted, the concrete that extrudes the garage itself is exposed to the elements, concrete is fairly porous so any rain or worse in winter when there is snow sat on it, that moisture will soak into the concrete and under/into the garage floor itself. Hence why using PVA is not a good idea as all around the edges of your floor will be exposed to a lot of moisture.

Out of interest, is that front slope of concrete laid directly onto the block pavers?? Can't see too clearly from the pictures.
Gav147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
Paul08
Washmitt Meister

Sorry to see this has happened. What method and paint did you end up using? Might be best to give it a week or so and see if it improves, if not I'd personally strip it off and start again otherwise anything you put on top probably wont bond properly.
Paul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #24
bigfatsi
Unwashed Member

I used this stuff:

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/SikaBond-Rapid-DPM

on my concrete floors before gluing oak flooring down. It seals it so no moisture can come through from below.

I would imagine this could be what you're after, but the floor will need to be dry first.

I also should point out that this was inside (if that matters) and it's not cheap!

However, it dries really quickly and you'll easily get 3,4 or more coats out of 5l.

HTH

S

Last edited by bigfatsi; 16-05-2017 at 04:21 PM.
bigfatsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
Gav147
Washmitt Meister

Whilst it is still wet, scrape as much of the stuff off as you can, stiff yard brush and hot water to help dissolve the pva quicker, I know that sounds odd telling you to pour water on it but honestly that concrete will not be dry, at all. it will take months for all the moisture to come out of a slab that thick, especially as it has no form of damp proof membrane or protection from the sides.

The more you get off now the easier it will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gav147 For This Useful Post:
bonelorry (16-05-2017)
Old 17-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #26
w00044
Sponge Jockey

Bit late to the party but a Jet wash might have been easier......
w00044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #27
Gav147
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
Did as you have suggested, Removed approx 95% of the paint in around 2-3 Hours this afternoon and I am now ******ed

Removed as much of the loose stuff as I could first, Then used a Stiff Broom/Brush, Red Hot Water probably 3 Buckets full and lots of Elbow Grease/Patience.

Now to leave it a day or so to dry out, Removed all the Surface Water and now its just damp but in places in was already beginning to dry out!
Good going, did well to get that much of it off, the surface will soon dry out again if you leave that door open.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gav147 For This Useful Post:
bonelorry (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #28
SRI CJB
Sponge Jockey

Although my concrete garage floor wasnt new when I moved in, it was quite dusty. I swept and hoovered best I could, and then painted with a Ronseal floor paint. I gave it 2 coats, i think 4 days between the coats and didnt put a car in it for about 2 weeks.

That was 10 years ago and to be honest the only places the paint has came away was from where i had been hammering something on the floor. Ive just started to re do the garage as the walls arent as white as they were (Dulux satin white is on offer 10 litres £26 at B&Q), I also bought Ronseal Dimon Hard floor paint to re do floor and will follow same princple as last time.
SRI CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #29
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Garage
Hi bud. Sounds like you've had a bit of a nightmare.

Initially, I tiled my garage floor. I got the tiles in a B&q sale for £4.25 a yard. They have been perfect for the past 13 years. However, about 4 years back when our son has been running in and out with his friends, the floor was a bit slippery when wet (bon Jovi? ) so I laid carpet tiles over the top. They're brilliant. They make the space so much warmer too, and any spills, I just lift one, and replace with a spare.

Hope you get sorted bud.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #30
brodders1979
Sponge Jockey

These guys have a sale on 5 x 3m tiles for £206. Am considering them myself.

https://duramat.co.uk/product/garage...k-checker-5x3/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
brodders1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brodders1979 For This Useful Post:
bonelorry (19-05-2017)