Detailing World Forum banner

Drying towels & QD / Drying aid

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Prestige car care shop 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm planning to detail my car at some point and looking to ensure results last as long as possible.

I currently have a waffle weave which I use to blot the flat surfaces and usually have a go with it on the doors and vertical panels. I also use an MF when I get sick of blotting the vertical surfaces to collect the rest of the water.

I'm planning to get a QD to use for drying aid (any suggestions welcome).

With the QD in mind, would I be better buying 2 or 3 medium sized MF drying towels or one big heavy drying towel?

#8 ·
I'm currently using the Autofinesse Aqua Deluxe , a really nice drying towel

AutoGlym Aqua wax is a really nice product to work with. Spray it onto the car whilst still wet and wipe away using your drying towel. Then just finish off with a plush MF

QD - Autoglanz, Smooth Velvet

#10 ·
Dare I say it, home bargains gym towel, big and thin really sucks things up and easy to wring out.
Followed by an assortment of plush towels, 1100gsm zoegate or 840gsm vacplus, qd is either Autobrite berry blast, or Megiuars last touch.

I do have a Prima monster fluffy max but that's mine alone.

#11 ·
How are people drying towels performing now? I'm unsure if I damaged my drying towel by washing it with something I applied wax with as it no longer soaks up the water. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the QD drying aid process and the wax in the QD had bonded to the towel rendering it useless.

Is it an idea to spray on the QD rinse off and then dry as some QD activate like some ceramic coatings so you still get a slick surface but knowing 80%+ is now water on the car and not QD.

This is all just me putting my thoughts down on paper so to speak. Does anyone have an answer to this getting QD on drying towels ok or is there a process to keeping the towel fresh and not allowing QD to dry in the towel?

#13 ·
I generally wait till I have a load to wash rather than a handful of towels, I break them up into categories to best prevent cross-contamination since learning such a thing.

I will give that product a try and see if it will revive some of my older drying towels.

#14 ·
My preferred QD is definitely Garage Therapy, and I tend to use a twisted loop towel (this one is my favourite) https://amzn.to/3MBvTf8.
Although if I'd been doing a Rinseless Wash, I'd use that at it's QD dilution if it had one.

From a Rinseless perspective I feel I need to wash the drying towel each time, if it's a traditional wash I feel like I don't need to.

#18 ·
I have some new towels and this time round I used my QD like you'd use CC Hybrid 2.0, sprayed it on and then jetted it off and it seemed to work. I will be changing my QD soon for a better product and think I will continue down this avenue of spray and rinse off.

#19 ·
If i've used a C02 / QD spray I always rinse them out in my used wash bucket straight after use or sometimes have a seperate bucket with an APC solution to rinse them before going in the wash.
This is just one reason why I use a few small towels (Usually TRC Platinum Pluffles) rather than a big one which I can't rinse out as easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.