Detailing World Forum banner

Using a drying aid with a larger drying towel

5K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  garycha 
#1 ·
I'm mostly a novice when it comes to real detailing, but I'd like to think I have my regular wash routine down to quite a good level.

There's one thing missing though and that's a proper usage of a drying aid. I know the technique, that I've seen from AMMO NYC, where Larry uses regular sized MF towels and his Hydrate product to dry the paint.

But I have a larger, specially dedicated drying towel (Gyeon Silkdryer). So far I've used it only by lightly dragging the towel on the car, with only the towel itself providing the weight on the car. It does it's job very well, but I presume a drying aid could improve the slickness and decrease any risk of scratching the paint even further?

How should I be using a drying aid with a larger drying towel? Should I just spray the drying aid on the panel, section by section and wiping it off as I do usually? Or should I spray something on the towel itself as well?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

#2 ·
I have a large towel also (In2Detailing "Drinker"). I usually just spray a few squirts across a wet panel and then lay the towel on it. I start with the roof to get the towel a bit damp, helps it soak up water on the rest of the car. Then I just go panel by panel. I don't spray anything onto the towel itself, it soon gets damp and picks up some of the drying aid anyway.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Once the freezing tempratures are gone here in Estonia (around -7 and -12 for the next 1-2 weeks at least), then I'll start washing the car myself again. Will restock with some qd for that time, to use when drying.

#8 ·
I use a mixture of AG Aqua wax and Sonax BSD presently as a drying aid - works very well and adds to the finish.

Did this on a neighbours car last year that had no wax etc at all on it and the difference was amazing, really enhanced the finish and added some gloss to the car, just with a quick spritz of this as a drying aid...

#9 ·
I use a damp clean mf cloth with BSD or Aquawax (or sometimes a mix of the two). Fold it in four (to give a cushion) and just glide it around with no downward pressure.

Every panel i stop and wring out the water it has picked up, give it a good shake then refold it in four again and move onto next panel.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
I use GTECH C2V3 50:50 with distilled water. Have used BSD too and to quite good effect:

1. Final rinse with DI then sheeting to get most of water off.
2. Mist from height over roof, bonnet sides with 50/50.
3. Lay on the large Woolly Mammoth, then pat dry without dragging (although just got Gyeon Silk thingy but yet to try) towel over surface.
4. All drying agent is picked up this way.
5. I then use Sidekick blower around all the tricky bits, grilles n seals, rims n tyres - to drive out excess water dabbing with new dry and smaller towel as I go.

Comes up very well without rubbing. Plus that little bit of C2 keeps the Exo topped:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.