Detailing World Forum banner

Best method to remove tar

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  pug206 
#1 ·
Hello again is there a certain method to remove tar dont want to be scrubbing at them and causing scratches, also does the paint need to be dry

#2 ·
Spray a tar and glue remover onto the tar, leave then spray off [emoji1360]

Really stubborn patches soak a cotton make up pad and leave in situ. Never let the product dry out though. You can wipe with a MF once you've sprayed product on and left for a bit but have never had to do that myself.

Dry paint ideally, if it's wet the product is ever so slightly diluted down but won't stop it working.

#3 ·
I use AG tar remover which works perfectly.

I use either a cheap applicator pad or one of the small cotton make up pads you can get, apply some tar remover, dab over area, leave for a short while, dab / wipe over with pad again and disappears - so no rubbing required.

You can get some you spray on and rinse off, but I've not used these yet...

#4 ·
I got back from a journey day before yesterday and when I washed the car I noticed the arches and doors were covered in tar as there's a lot of resurfacing going on at the moment. I used carchem tar & glue remover, my method was spray on, a panel at a time, wait for for up to a minute watching as the tar dissolves and starts to run, then gently wipe down with a wet MF cloth that I have in a bucket of clean water. I then go round and give it another rinse with the hose.

I forgot to mention, when doing this after a wash make sure you dry the car first before applying the tar remover and follow the manufacturer's directions.

#7 · (Edited)
I have moved away from the overly aggressive ones like Autosmart Tardis and started trying out these thicker, gel like tar/glue remover like Obsession's Purge. They are particularly good as they cling really well. I mist it over any tar spots and allow it to dwell a few minutes. Simply wipe away with a few passes of a MF towels after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.