Detailing World Forum banner

Bilt Hamber Auto Foam via Pump Sprayer staining plastics

14K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  neilmcl 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've recently been trying this via a pump srayer at approx 4% so 40ml to every 1ltr of water and i have been very impressed with the cleaning ability. But i've noticed it's staining some of the plastic trim. Anyone else noticed this? I didn't leave it dwelling long at all, as soon i worked my way around the car i pressure washed it off and it also wasn't in direct sun light. See pic attached

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#11 ·
I find my textured vinyl covered B pillars end up streaky after AF via pump sprayer. Tried various dressings but end up with the same effect. Just clean and re-dress afterwards and it's fine. Haven't tried other foams and BH Autowash doesn't do it - but what it does appear to do is kill algae/moss...yaaay, when a long list of other wash products seem to act as algal nutrients.

#12 ·
Hello everyone, been more of a voyeur than a poster on this site, but I have experienced the same problem with my XF trim and only ever since using AF via a pump sprayer. It’s nothing permanent and can be resolved easily enough, just a bit inconvenient really.

I use BSD after every wash / dry and wondered if that was the cause as other foams I have used have not foamed overly well since using it, but you have to love it’s ease of use, price point and beading!

#18 ·
I have just used bilt hamber foam via pump spray yesterday for the first time 80mls to 2ltrs and pressure washed immediately after finishing the foaming, I also noticed staining all around the window rubbers, this led me here when searching to see if this was a common problem.

My car is relatively new and i don't want to use anything to abrasive to remove the staining, any suggestions what to try on it?

#19 ·
Same here. I have used BH Autofoam through a snow foam gun at 4% PIR with no issue at all.
Recently tried it at 4% dilution through a sprayer as i read a lot of good reviews.

Plastci trim stained as per OP above.
I had to clean with Surfex HD and dress with CarPro Perl to have it look ok.

There was no dressing on the trim previously.

What confuses me is that in theory i applied the same product with the same dilution with very different results to the trim.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Same here. I have used BH Autofoam through a snow foam gun at 4% PIR with no issue at all.
Recently tried it at 4% dilution through a sprayer as i read a lot of good reviews.

Plastci trim stained as per OP above.
I had to clean with Surfex HD and dress with CarPro Perl to have it look ok.

There was no dressing on the trim previously.

What confuses me is that in theory i applied the same product with the same dilution with very different results to the trim.

auto-foam contains nothing that will stain... the 4-5% PIR will remove either surface dressings, or other deposits left by wash / wax type shampoos etc. Further OEM rubber and plastics often have a release agent left in the upper layer, if auto-foam runs in irregular rivulets it would "appear" to stain when really it's cleaning... hence the use of Surfex , or a further auto-foam hit after would make the surface uniform.

#27 ·
Hi Croques,

That doesnt look like staining to me. That looks like dirty water has ran down your car and dried like that.

A wash should see that gone.

Did it rain straight after you had washed it? If it did the only thing I can think is that it pulled dirt from perhaps the seals or a dirt trap somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.