Detailing World Forum banner

Trolley jack

6K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  jebus 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking for a decent car jack, don't really want to spend too much over £100.
I've had sgs Jacks but they are way too heavy. I think 2 - 2.5 tonne will be enough for me.

Can anyone recommend one?
Thanks in advance.

Wasn't sure what section to put it in so I hope this is Ok.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have the costco arcon jack for under £100 and its done me proud. Its low entry too which, with lowish cars is a godsend. Its not a high lift though, ie. it didnt give enough clearance to drop my gearbox under the car but was close though. But does go high enough for 90% of the jobs ive used it for. Some minor assembly is required out the box too but its not anything tasking.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I've got a low profile SGS jack whish I really rate. I agree it's heavy but it stays in my garage and is easily maneouverable so suits me and I wouldn't hesitate buying again if I ever needed another for many reason.

They also do the lightweight ones though so I'd look at them or the Arcan one at Costco which seem decent and get good reviews.

#9 ·
I've decided it's between the arcan, and the sgs 2.5 tonne aluminum jack. Both weigh the same, price is pretty much the same. I might just go for the arcan as it's highly recommended by everyone but I'll have a little think.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I was thinking the other day I should get a trolly jack - and again DW delivers the info :D

Need to go measure how low to the ground the Mini is though - I've heard there can be issues getting a standard jack under one. I'm still never sure where I should place one under the car though! I've not had much experience working on the mechanics of a car, but would like to do more.

#26 ·
I was thinking the other day I should get a trolly jack - and again DW delivers the info :D

Need to go measure how low to the ground the Mini is though - I've heard there can be issues getting a standard jack under one. I'm still never sure where I should place one under the car though! I've not had much experience working on the mechanics of a car, but would like to do more.
You will need a low entry jack to get under a Mini. It is also worth getting a jacking pad that fits into the jacking points under the sills (2 each side) the pads are easily available on line.

#27 ·
Be warned, SGS's customer service is APPALLING!!! I've had an open case with them since June so I can purchase a replacement handle end caster wheel assembly. Oh we'll get one out by the end of the week is the common response!

Dont expect any assistance when you have a problem.

Fish

Attachments

#28 ·
Another vote for SGS This One is what I just got along with some 6 ton huge axle stands and a jacking beam, the thing is massive and very heavy, makes the dinky halfords one and even the normal sized lidl special jacks look like toys.

Not used in anger yet, but hopefully got the strength to get it out and get the **** of my 940 right up in the air to get cleaning under it.

On SGS and their customer service, I found email far better than phone, had issue with wrong stuff sent out, and was sorted quickly that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.