Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Dodo Juice
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2017, 02:07 AM   #1
aab203
Unwashed Member

Ferrous Dweller vs Traffic Film Remover vs Tar and Glue Remover

Hi all,

I'm new to the detailing world! I recently got a new car and I'm researching all the products I should get to make it look lovely and clean (whilst not also breaking the bank).

As the title suggests, I'm not really sure what the real difference is between all the tar/glue, traffic film and iron/fallout removers. Are they all doing very similar jobs? I'd be grateful if someone could explain the differences and whether having all three is worth it (for a newbie at least).

Thanks!
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #2
Pittsy
DW Reviewer

Thanked 3,440 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the detailing world! I recently got a new car and I'm researching all the products I should get to make it look lovely and clean (whilst not also breaking the bank).

As the title suggests, I'm not really sure what the real difference is between all the tar/glue, traffic film and iron/fallout removers. Are they all doing very similar jobs? I'd be grateful if someone could explain the differences and whether having all three is worth it (for a newbie at least).

Thanks!
No worries we are all here to help

A TFR or traffic film remover is a prewash type product which you spray onto the car, this then breaks down the dirt on the surface of the paint without you actually touching the paint and allows it to soften so it can be pressure washed off to remove most of the dirt before you touch the car.

A Fallout remover is specifically to remove ingrained bits or iron etc from the paintwork/wheels, a fallout remover when it comes into contact with a iron particle will change the particle so instead of being jagged and sticking to the paint it comes off with a rinse.

A Glue and Tar remover will as the title suggests remove glue and tar from the paintwork by dissolving the tar allowing it to be cleaned off.

Hope this helps
Old 12-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
aab203
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsy View Post
No worries we are all here to help

A TFR or traffic film remover is a prewash type product which you spray onto the car, this then breaks down the dirt on the surface of the paint without you actually touching the paint and allows it to soften so it can be pressure washed off to remove most of the dirt before you touch the car.

A Fallout remover is specifically to remove ingrained bits or iron etc from the paintwork/wheels, a fallout remover when it comes into contact with a iron particle will change the particle so instead of being jagged and sticking to the paint it comes off with a rinse.

A Glue and Tar remover will as the title suggests remove glue and tar from the paintwork by dissolving the tar allowing it to be cleaned off.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info

My plan is to snow foam the car, rinse (pressure wash) it off and then hand wash it (no two bucket method yet).

Then I was going to spray the car with the iron/fallout remover where necessary (or at least for the first time, rather liberally) and rinse. Then repeat the process with the tar/bug remover.

Once that is done I was thinking about claying the car (with dedicated clay lube) and then rinse off.

Finally apply a quick detailer as the last thing whilst also drying the car.

So far I've looked at DJ products for all of the above. Does this seem like a decent approach (and therefore do away with the need for the traffic film remover)?

I'm mainly focussing on the bodywork this time around and will save the glass treatment and tyres for another time. Saying that I will spray the alloys with the fallout remover, then all purpose cleaner(?) and rinse/dry - just won't do any 'dressing' / protection.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
todds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Pittsy is the man
welcome along to the forum and enjoy the trip as you lighten your wallet
todds
I like symmetry of products and dodo juice are well thought off on here Dom the main man is straight up and no BS even thought he has products to sell. they were the first company on dw that i read every post took a few months but i learned loads

Last edited by todds; 12-04-2017 at 02:42 AM.
todds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #5
Pittsy
DW Reviewer

Thanked 3,440 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Thanks for the info

My plan is to snow foam the car, rinse (pressure wash) it off and then hand wash it (no two bucket method yet).

Then I was going to spray the car with the iron/fallout remover where necessary (or at least for the first time, rather liberally) and rinse. Then repeat the process with the tar/bug remover.

Once that is done I was thinking about claying the car (with dedicated clay lube) and then rinse off.

Finally apply a quick detailer as the last thing whilst also drying the car.

So far I've looked at DJ products for all of the above. Does this seem like a decent approach (and therefore do away with the need for the traffic film remover)?

I'm mainly focussing on the bodywork this time around and will save the glass treatment and tyres for another time. Saying that I will spray the alloys with the fallout remover, then all purpose cleaner(?) and rinse/dry - just won't do any 'dressing' / protection.
Absolutely fine with that approach, dont forget a 2nd rinse after the tar remover, I would personally consider another snow foam treatment.

DJ products are spot on, no worries there but 3 things spring to mind....

1) For gods sake buy another bucket or 2, they only cost a quid and go for a 3 bucket wash (one for the wheels)

2) Wheels 1st

3) And finally dont spoil all the hard work and not do the tyres, you will be amazed at how much difference and dressed tyre makes
Old 12-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
aab203
Unwashed Member

Thanks both!

Ok ok - I'll get some extra buckets.

Are there any recommendations for tyre dressing products? Also, whats a good applicator for this - a small sponge?

R.e. the alloys I forgot to ask, but I assume after the initial iron/fallout spray should I be using shampoo to clean the wheels, or is it ok to go straight to the all purpose cleaner?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
aab203
Unwashed Member

Also, in case its of any interest this is my shopping list so far:

Purchased:
- Foamland Karcher K Series Snow Foam 'Lance and Foam' Kit
- Captain Canoodle
- Hog Brush Large 40mm (Detailing/Wheel brush)
- Captain Crevice Wheel Mitt
- Basics of Bling Detailing Spray Quick Detailer 500ml
- Supernatural Leather Cleaner 500ml

To buy imminently:
- Basics of Bling Clay Bars 110g
- Ferrous Dueller Iron/Fallout Remover 500ml
- Born Slippy Clay Lube Concentrate/refill 250ml
- Let Us Spray Trigger Spray 500ml
- Total Wipe Out All Purpose Cleaner 500ml
- Born to be Mild 250ml

Plus some microfibre cloths / drying towels from Amazon.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
bigpapaburgundy
Dodo McJuiceface

Hey buddy,

It all depends what you want your tyres to look like In our range, you can have a matt (like new) finish, which would be Tyromania. The 180ml tub comes with a foam applicator inside, but it's also available in 30ml if you wanted to just try it. If you want a satin finish, then Basics of Bling Tyre and Trim is a great choice, you could use a microfibre for that. We don't have any "wet look" tyre products though, as they tend to be a bit more "Slingy" and splatter due to the ingredients, so we've always been worried if someone over applies and makes their tread slippy!

For the alloys, we actuaally added a little bit of soap to Ferrous Dueller, to make it cling to the wheels a bit more and not run off as much as other competitors. I'd use that first with your hog brush, then use your born to be mild with the Captain Crevice to finish off the cleaning You'd only need your Total Wipe Out if stubborn dirt on there, but shouldn't be much if that is the case. Just FD and BM should be all good.

Definitely get yourself another bucket though bro, it doesn't matter what size, but it will change the way you wash your car
bigpapaburgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
aab203
Unwashed Member

Thanks for the info

I went ahead and added
- Basics of Bling Wax Applicator
- Basics of Bling Tyre and Trim 250m

to my order. Hopefully everything will come by tomorrow as I'm hoping to do the car on Friday

I did look at the Tyromania but it was too expensive for me just now. I held off the glass kit as I was approaching £200 and as the car is pretty new, the water still comes off the screens pretty easily.

I took a punt with the Basics of Bling Wax Applicator, to use for applying the tyre and trim solution to the tyres. Is this ok, or is it not really suitable?
The Following User Says Thank You to aab203 For This Useful Post:
bigpapaburgundy (13-04-2017)
Old 13-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
aab203
Unwashed Member

The DJ goodies have arrived this morning I didn't get a chance to look through everything in detail before leaving for work... one question I have is how to apply the tyre and trim? It seemed quite liquidy, so should this be administered via a spray bottle?