Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Regional Groups & Meets > Scotland
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,639 Posts
Garage
This is worth a mention seeing as you're on the left side of the country so presumably get plenty of rain (especially in the winter!)

Rainwater is very soft so if you are able to collect it eg off the roof of your house, you can use it to wash the car down and avoid the need to dry the car since no water spotting.

I have a set up allowing me to use it through my pressure washer, but even if you just fill a good size watering can and use it to "sheet" water off the panels, you can safe yourself a lot of time and because you're not making contact with the panels, it eliminates risk of towel marring.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
Rodger that
Unwashed Member

Now that's what I call thinking outside the box,lol,
Rodger that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
DLGWRX02
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 758 Posts
Garage
Getting a DI vessel was the best purchase I've made. Bit of an outlay at about £130 pending on supplier and the type of resin used. (Tulson MB115). I can wash and rinse in full sun and get no spots, 18 months between refills of resin but that depends on how hard your water is in the area you live.

It's what mobile window cleaners use to get purified water, so looking at window cleaning suppliers is a good place to start.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
Hughie (16-09-2017)
Old 13-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #24
Rodger that
Unwashed Member

Smile

It's on the xmas list guys
Old 16-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #25
Hughie
Unwashed Member

Rainwater re use for car washing etc...

Hi, I've just purchased these 2 and have now run a rainwater hose to the front of our house so I am able to connect my pressure washer to the water butt when I want. It's a chea**** solution.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/foam-water-...%20water%20gun

https://www.amazon.co.uk/151652-Heav.../dp/B01LWY1VO8
Hughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #26
Rodger that
Unwashed Member

If you where to collect rain water in some kind of water butt and run in a hose to suck it out which I could do with my k4,I'm thinking that although the water would be soft like steel ghost said,wouldn't it also be dirty ?
Old 17-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #27
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,639 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger that View Post
If you where to collect rain water in some kind of water butt and run in a hose to suck it out which I could do with my k4,I'm thinking that although the water would be soft like steel ghost said,wouldn't it also be dirty ?
Muck in water tends to be the kind that either sinks to the bottom, or floats on top. The trick is to take the water from about 1/4 to 1/3 up your tank to avoid both kinds. That said, ideally you use one tank to catch the runoff water in and then have a second that you use to supply your machine or hosepipe, effectively "gravity filtration".

I've found the water to be fine, unfortunately my tanks are in sun much of the day in the summer and this can promote a slight green tinge to the water as a little algae grows in the water. Doesn't do any harm to the pressure washer or car that I've noticed (and I've been using this setup for a few years now).
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #28
Rodger that
Unwashed Member

It's an interesting concept,and a very green type of concept i.e. Recycling the rain water etc,however I've been doing a lot of internet research and I'm going to purchase a di vessel with some resin,as it seems that this is the way to go with a black car,I never knew that such a thing existed so I've learned a lot from this great post,it's been a great and interesting journey and thanks to all for the great input
Old 25-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #29
Hairy Pete
Sponge Jockey

I have a filter but stopped using it once i discovered Blue Rinse back in 2014 its from Angel Wax down past the Braehead shops near glasgow airport. I wash the car keep it wet on all panels then mist Blue rinse on . In the time it tales to put the PW away i then flat rinse the product off and no water marks and very little drying.
Hairy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #30
nappy
Washmitt Meister

I have used drying towels , filters , blowers in the past. I found the neighbours thought you were a bit off div drying a car with it and now just use a filter and pat dry using one of the big green auto finesse towels.
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote