Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,632
Thanks: 1,639
Thanked 6,597 Times in 4,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shycho View Post
Can anyone remoaner give me an argument for staying which doesnt revolve around how rich the country (not the individual) is? Seriously sick of remoaners complaining about numbers, because they cant complain about quality of life.

I'd happily pay double for a bag of apples if it meant they were pick by a British worker on a living wage, Instead of a Polish worker on minimum wage, while a Brit is stuck on benefits.

I'd happily see us adopt a points based immigration system, which would prioritise an Indian doctor, over an Italian benefit scrounger.

But why look at quality of life, when we can just complain about our expensive quality street?

My concern is we won't actually leave, and won't feel any real benefit, because the suits in parliament make their money on arguing but never changing, so as has been said we'll end up paying into some new system instead.
Speak to plenty of the employers and you'll see why they turn to the Polish for getting a hard day's work done. It's not for the difference of £1.25 per hour it's the fact we are short of people to do the jobs and people not even bothering to apply themselves to do these jobs.

Everybody wants everything as cheap as possible. People aren't willing or able to pay top prices for services. People are already getting upset that prices have risen by a few percent.

Many farmers are already subsidised as they make no money from their produce. The supermarkets have driven prices through the floor.

There will be little or no control over immigration. The same numbers will still come and go.

People always expect people to contribute and pay their taxes etc. Still nobody has any issues buying cheap foreign imported goods and still buy off companies like Apple who avoid paying tax. Everything is forgotten for price or brand image.

Last edited by Kerr; 26-12-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (27-12-2017), DrEskimo (26-12-2017), mac1459 (28-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #22
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 1,653
Thanks: 905
Thanked 942 Times in 609 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post

Many farmers are already subsidised as they make no money from their produce.
Farmers round here seem to do ok, brother in law works on a farm too and his boss isn't short. Worked in many country pubs over the years and there wasn't one where farmers weren't regulars, all had new cars regularly and holidays annually. Then going back 30 years my dad had a garage where a lot of his customers were farmers, no shortage of cash for them back then either. Always paid cash too😉
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (27-12-2017), spursfan (27-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #23
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,632
Thanks: 1,639
Thanked 6,597 Times in 4,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
Farmers round here seem to do ok, brother in law works on a farm too and his boss isn't short. Worked in many country pubs over the years and there wasn't one where farmers weren't regulars, all had new cars regularly and holidays annually. Then going back 30 years my dad had a garage where a lot of his customers were farmers, no shortage of cash for them back then either. Always paid cash too😉
Some farmers do make good money. It depends what they are farming. Check out how many dairy farms are closing for example.

Do you ever wonder how 4 pints of milk costs 99p and a bag of carrots can cost 20p?

Many are selling their products for below cost and are subsidised by the government and the EU. All the farms up here had anti-brexit flags and banners as they are dependant on the payments.

A quick Google shows that many farms don't make much money at all.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (27-12-2017), mac1459 (28-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #24
FJ1000
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 183
Thanks: 89
Thanked 210 Times in 102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shycho View Post
Can anyone remoaner give me an argument for staying which doesnt revolve around how rich the country (not the individual) is? Seriously sick of remoaners complaining about numbers, because they cant complain about quality of life.
So you don’t see any link between how the country is doing and how individuals are doing?

You realise that “the economy” is the sum of all individuals and businesses?

I’ll give you an individual example though. My industry is likely to take a hit if/when we leave - jobs are already leaving the UK. That impacts my job security and pay. Higher inflation because of the GBP devaluation means my purchases cost more. Rate rises because of high inflation will push mortgage rates up. My already stretched local hospital has an even bigger shortage of nurses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shycho View Post
I'd happily pay double for a bag of apples if it meant they were pick by a British worker on a living wage, Instead of a Polish worker on minimum wage, while a Brit is stuck on benefits.
1. You say you’d be happy with 100% inflation - you’d definitely be in the minority. If the cost of food went up a tenth of that, people would starve.

2. BREXIT has nothing to do with a living wage. That’s not even on the table. If you thought that’s what you were voting for, you were either lied to or not paying attention. Seems a lot of leavers confuse several issues into their desire to leave the EU.

3. BREXIT effectively hands more power to the tories, and is well understood to be a drag on the economy - making a living wage LESS likely



Quote:
Originally Posted by shycho View Post
I'd happily see us adopt a points based immigration system, which would prioritise an Indian doctor, over an Italian benefit scrounger.



I’d agree, but there is a friction cost to such a system. Also there is plenty of evidence that migrants are: more likely to be in work than native Brits, contributing positively to the country financially, and not able to claim benefits as easily as the right-wing tabloids would make out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FJ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FJ1000 For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (27-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #25
millns84
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
millns84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Offerton, Stockport
Posts: 4,687
Thanks: 3,265
Thanked 2,718 Times in 2,035 Posts
There seems to be an awful lot of panic surrounding Brexit.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting all worked up about it. By the time the "conservatives" have finished "negotiating", we'll be full members of the EU in everything but name... True controlled opposition style.

It shows the state of our supposed democracy that both the establishment and their media are doing everything possible to sabotage a democratic mandate.
millns84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to millns84 For This Useful Post:
Gas head (27-12-2017), kh904 (27-12-2017), spursfan (27-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #26
spursfan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Aylesbury now
Posts: 2,181
Thanks: 2,174
Thanked 1,166 Times in 819 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Some farmers do make good money. It depends what they are farming. Check out how many dairy farms are closing for example.

Do you ever wonder how 4 pints of milk costs 99p and a bag of carrots can cost 20p?

Many are selling their products for below cost and are subsidised by the government and the EU. All the farms up here had anti-brexit flags and banners as they are dependant on the payments.

A quick Google shows that many farms don't make much money at all.
As pointed out Kerr, Farmers seem to be like bookmakers, never see a poor one round our way, all driving newish Range Rovers/Land rovers.
spursfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #27
spursfan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Aylesbury now
Posts: 2,181
Thanks: 2,174
Thanked 1,166 Times in 819 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ1000 View Post
So you don’t see any link between how the country is doing and how individuals are doing?

You realise that “the economy” is the sum of all individuals and businesses?

I’ll give you an individual example though. My industry is likely to take a hit if/when we leave - jobs are already leaving the UK. That impacts my job security and pay. Higher inflation because of the GBP devaluation means my purchases cost more. Rate rises because of high inflation will push mortgage rates up. My already stretched local hospital has an even bigger shortage of nurses.



1. You say you’d be happy with 100% inflation - you’d definitely be in the minority. If the cost of food went up a tenth of that, people would starve.

2. BREXIT has nothing to do with a living wage. That’s not even on the table. If you thought that’s what you were voting for, you were either lied to or not paying attention. Seems a lot of leavers confuse several issues into their desire to leave the EU.

3. BREXIT effectively hands more power to the tories, and is well understood to be a drag on the economy - making a living wage LESS likely






I’d agree, but there is a friction cost to such a system. Also there is plenty of evidence that migrants are: more likely to be in work than native Brits, contributing positively to the country financially, and not able to claim benefits as easily as the right-wing tabloids would make out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guess that is your opinion, more people voted to leave the EU than stay, are you saying the ones that wanted to leave all got it wrong? some of the are very prominent business people and know a lot more that either you or me will do
you just need to get over losing the referendum and make the most of it, as for the bit about about evidence that migrants work harder, that could also be a misinformation from the papers/google or whatever.
spursfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #28
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,632
Thanks: 1,639
Thanked 6,597 Times in 4,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
As pointed out Kerr, Farmers seem to be like bookmakers, never see a poor one round our way, all driving newish Range Rovers/Land rovers.
To be fair working on a farm does require a capable 4x4.

Everyone does appear to only notice the rich farmers. There is facts out there to show it's not the case for many and I'm not sure how anyone can dismiss fact over their theory or opinion.



Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Guess that is your opinion, more people voted to leave the EU than stay, are you saying the ones that wanted to leave all got it wrong? some of the are very prominent business people and know a lot more that either you or me will do
you just need to get over losing the referendum and make the most of it, as for the bit about about evidence that migrants work harder, that could also be a misinformation from the papers/google or whatever.
You just have to listen to many people why they voted to leave. The reasons many voted to leave simply won't happen. I'd bet if the vote was held again next week stay would win by a margin.


From what I see I would also agree that the working culture of the youth today lacks badly. It's hard to get many to work for spending hours on their phone.

As many employers tell you it's often only Eastern Europeans applying for jobs and many will also say they do work harder. Too many people think hard labour is beneath them.

This country would be in a mess without their contribution.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (27-12-2017), FJ1000 (27-12-2017), Nanoman (27-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #29
millns84
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
millns84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Offerton, Stockport
Posts: 4,687
Thanks: 3,265
Thanked 2,718 Times in 2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
You just have to listen to many people why they voted to leave. The reasons many voted to leave simply won't happen. I'd bet if the vote was held again next week stay would win by a margin.
Well that's because the people organising our exit from the EU are not Eurosceptics.

YouGov Eurotrack poll held between 13-19th December found:-

Remain - 39%
Leave - 48%
Undecided - 13%

- Obviously mainstream media would have you believe otherwise, but their figures are way off as seen the day before Brexit and even the US election.
millns84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to millns84 For This Useful Post:
spursfan (27-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #30
DimitriUK
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 155
Thanks: 464
Thanked 69 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shycho View Post

I'd happily pay double for a bag of apples if it meant they were pick by a British worker on a living wage, Instead of a Polish worker on minimum wage, while a Brit is stuck on benefits.

I'd happily see us adopt a points based immigration system, which would prioritise an Indian doctor, over an Italian benefit scrounger.
Well talk is cheap, what is your job by the way? Why do you think the Italians are milking the system whereas the Indians are hard working doctors?

I ask the above questions because:

1) I am tired of people wanting to take back control and at the same time not seen as a problem having an American pimp to protect us from the Russians

2) Why I will effectively subsidize brit apple pickers when someone else can do it cheaply?

3) Who were the foreigners that were happy with brexit? the answer to this question will tell you if brexit is a good or bad thing.
DimitriUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DimitriUK For This Useful Post:
FJ1000 (27-12-2017)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors