Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Insurance Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Insurance Zone Want to insure your ride but not sure of wheres best.. Well, put a post here and others should be able to help!

Old 13-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Pauly.22
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Just to clarify, this comes down to what insurers call "betterment".

Insurance is to put you in the same position after a loss as you were before the loss happened.

A couple of examples to help explain:

1) Someone hits your front wing, damages your wheel and bursts your tyre. Your tyre has done X miles and is worn. The insurers fix your wing, your wheel and replace your tyre. They then ask for a contribution towards the cost of the tyre because you now have a brand spanking new tyre and are in a better position than you were before the claim.

2) you have a rear end shunt which damages your bumper and your rusty old exhaust gave up under the impact and fell off. The insurers replace the bumper and exhaust, but the new exhaust puts the car in a better condition than before the accident so again they ask for a betterment contribution. It is unlikely they won't pay for the exhaust at all as you still had a working exhaust on the car prior to accident, but they will ask for you to foot some of the cost of the replacement exhaust.

In the case of a rusty wing which suffers accident damage, if the repair means that the rust will be repaired too, then again the insurers will either exclude the cost of the rust repair from the settlement (and you would need to pay this part of the cost direct to the garage) or pay the total cost of repair and ask for a betterment contribution from the policyholder.
So basically if the rust repair would take 4 hours to fix, they would charge me 4 hours labour then they will fix the rest.
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,776 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly.22 View Post
So basically if the rust repair would take 4 hours to fix, they would charge me 4 hours labour then they will fix the rest.
This will depend on your Insurer. Their engineer would normally work out any betterment contribution.

They may not be concerned with the rust and be happy to pay the whole cost of repair. I guess it depends on the extent of the rust and what affect it will have on the cost of repair.

Parts like tyres and exhausts can be calculated on their expected life. If a tyre was half worn, then the Insurers would ask for a 50% contribution towards the cost of the new tyre.

Again i'm guessing here, but if a straight repair would have been four hours, but the repair with rust is six hours plus £20 of filler, then i'd imagine the Insurers would ask for a contribition of 2 hrs labour and £20 parts.

Last edited by Shiny; 13-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,776 Posts
Garage
Found this, it is an American Estimators book, but i'm certain the same principles would apply, in which case yes, they would deduct the cost of the rust repair - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20rust&f=false

Last edited by Shiny; 13-09-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote