Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 25-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #31
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,244 Times in 980 Posts
As mike said i did originally think from the Pictures Orange Peel is now appearing.
Speed 3 is really not high at all. You will be luckily to remove any Microns.

What sort of pressure was applied?

If you send me the first part of your postcode I will see what detailers are in the area or just google search Pro Valet and have a look on there. May be then worth taking it over to one who can give some friendly advice.
Alfieharley1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #32
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Listen mate I think you should go back to the basics when it comes to machine polishing because by what your saying two passes with 3500 at speed 3 is not even slightly enough to fully get the best of any finishing polish, and you think speed 3 is to high.

I can only give you an idea but really it's very hard not to see what's really going on unless it can be seen in the flesh. So unless some pro on here can give you some other insight, then I suggest you fine your nearest pro Detailer to have a look. Good luck mate I hope you find an answer
I'm certainly no expert - but then I don't spend my whole life detailing. I started out very slowly 3/4 years ago working on my old clio 197 as a bit of a pass time. Results were slow but I eventually got there. I did the same thing with my civic EP3, then my DC5 type R. Normally results would be had with just a 2/3 slow pass process using megs #105 or ultimate compound.

I used the same thing on a friends DC5 after he saw how flawless the paint was on mine - no problems. There was never a need to go to a polishing stage because the paint looked 95% correct on everything I did.

Now again, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I got the results I wanted through trial and error and it hasn't failed me yet. This is the first time I've run into this, and by the responses it seems it's the first time any of you guys have seen something like this too

It could very well be to do with the fact that the car has had a respray and I'm working with paint that's a lot thinner, who knows. I'll most probably take it to a local bodyshop/detailer at some point. If an expert can share some knowledge on this in the mean time I'm all ears
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #33
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieharley1 View Post
As mike said i did originally think from the Pictures Orange Peel is now appearing.
Speed 3 is really not high at all. You will be luckily to remove any Microns.

What sort of pressure was applied?

If you send me the first part of your postcode I will see what detailers are in the area or just google search Pro Valet and have a look on there. May be then worth taking it over to one who can give some friendly advice.
I don't apply much pressure at all. I try to keep it pressed lightly up against the paint to allow it to spin at full speed. I kept the speed low because I've never actually used polish before, as I said in my previous post, I've typically got the results I want without having to polish. So keeping the speed down just as a precaution to test was a way to see if it would make any difference at all.

There's a Pro Valet down near Port Talbot which is around a 50 min journey...
Old 26-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #34
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,357 Times in 2,633 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
I'm certainly no expert - but then I don't spend my whole life detailing. I started out very slowly 3/4 years ago working on my old clio 197 as a bit of a pass time. Results were slow but I eventually got there. I did the same thing with my civic EP3, then my DC5 type R. Normally results would be had with just a 2/3 slow pass process using megs #105 or ultimate compound.

I used the same thing on a friends DC5 after he saw how flawless the paint was on mine - no problems. There was never a need to go to a polishing stage because the paint looked 95% correct on everything I did.

Now again, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I got the results I wanted through trial and error and it hasn't failed me yet. This is the first time I've run into this, and by the responses it seems it's the first time any of you guys have seen something like this too

It could very well be to do with the fact that the car has had a respray and I'm working with paint that's a lot thinner, who knows. I'll most probably take it to a local bodyshop/detailer at some point. If an expert can share some knowledge on this in the mean time I'm all ears
Well that's gratitude alright you asked and you got a response so coming back with an answer like yours is disrespectful to the people on here who go out of their way to help.

You say you never use a finishing polish after cutting well then that just says it all have a nice evening
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Alfieharley1 (26-02-2017), Moet1974 (26-02-2017), Smanderson117 (18-05-2017)
Old 26-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #35
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Well that's gratitude alright you asked and you got a response so coming back with an answer like yours is disrespectful to the people on here who go out of their way to help.

You say you never use a finishing polish after cutting well then that just says it all have a nice evening
Not meant to offend mate, it's just I found your comment quite patronising and of little to no help on the subject.

Take care
Old 26-02-2017, 03:12 AM   #36
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Quote:

Suspect I know what the problem may be especially if it's not a clear coat failure. Spent a good half hour of my time on this with a notepad and pen ruling all the possibilities "in and out!" And the answer is........ Pm sent to Mick.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moet1974 For This Useful Post:
chongo (26-02-2017)
Old 26-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #37
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moet1974 View Post
Suspect I know what the problem may be especially if it's not a clear coat failure. Spent a good half hour of my time on this with a notepad and pen ruling all the possibilities "in and out!" And the answer is........ Pm sent to Mick.
Not..... entirely sure what you're on about?
Old 26-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #38
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,357 Times in 2,633 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
Not meant to offend mate, it's just I found your comment quite patronising and of little to no help on the subject.

Take care
Mate it wasn't ment to be patronising at all it was to stop you causing anymore damage that's all When we get asked questions it's best to narrow it down as much as possible, and when something like this comes up, it can be hard to know what's going on especially when we have pictures only. I did point out things in my posts that you did agree with, so to say that it was little to no help at all, well
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #39
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Mate it wasn't ment to be patronising at all it was to stop you causing anymore damage that's all When we get asked questions it's best to narrow it down as much as possible, and when something like this comes up, it can be hard to know what's going on especially when we have pictures only. I did point out things in my posts that you did agree with, so to say that it was little to no help at all, well
Apologies, I haven't been paying too much attention as to specifically who's saying what - you have added some valuable feedback and I'm genuinely grateful for it. That one comment about with the whole back to basics made it sound like you were saying I'd gone in completely blind with zero research or any clue of what putting a DA/rotary to your paint does.

I've grasped the basic premise of the process and I've soaked up as much information that's available to me via youtube/forums etc. The whole comment about the polish is simply I've never had the need to use it. I've always got the results I've personally wanted so I've honestly never even thought of using it. I'm nowhere near the level of experience most of you guys, and probably yourself, are at. But I've been able to get good results with the small amount of experience I've had so far.

I suppose in a nutshell you offended me because the comment came across as 'lol go sit down, you clearly don't know the first thing about what you're doing let the adults figure this out'. It's difficult to get any tone or emotion when you read text on a screen. Perhaps I interpreted it wrong.

ANYWAY! bad blood aside and moving on. Sadly I can't see any history of the respray as all the paperwork is in Japanese Not sure what the next step is currently as I don't drive the car this time of year so the car is SORN'd until the summer. Either way I'm not touching it.

Perhaps it'll just buff off with more cut perhaps it wont, I've no intention of touching it until I get a second, more experienced opinion. The PF3500 polish I had sitting around is old... really old. It's probably seen minus temperatures for many parts of last year being sat in my garage, surely that can't be good.

What's baffling me the most is the fact that even with using the orange hex + s20 at max speed initially gave good results - now a black menzerna pad with polish at speed 3.5 has given this effect? How does that even happen
Old 26-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #40
Gixxer6
Orbital Oracle

If you need any help with the Japanese translation let me know. A photo of the paperwork with sensitive data removed/blanked out should work

Good luck with the car though

Last edited by Gixxer6; 26-02-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Gixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote