Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 19-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
DetailingDavie
Unwashed Member

Just a quick update on this. Bought the pads and megs cutting compound to go with it.
Had my first go using these pads over my normal foam ones and I think it's going to take a bit of practice to get the best out of them.
Did the normal priming, but it did feel after 4 or so panels that the fibres were just flat even with regular cleaning with a pad brush which made me think I was over applying the polish (3 or 4 dots per average size half panel).
Also noticed pad and panel getting slightly warm but not hot which I'm guessing is ok.
Finish was ok but I did expect more of the swirls to be cut out with the pad than I achieved. I'm thinking I need to go over the panel more than the 2 left right and 2 up down.
Anyone have any comments or tips on this?
DetailingDavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 12:56 AM   #12
DetailingDavie
Unwashed Member

update 2:

Having played about a bit more I'm starting to see results using these pads, so for the benefits of anyone who stumbles across this thread and is using them for the first time hopefully some of this may help in some way.

I've found 3 things that I think I was doing wrong and which was impacting my results:

1- Clean the god dam pad.
Yup I was cleaning the pad, yup everyone said clean the pad, was I cleaning it enought...nope. I've found it better to clean it after I have worked each polish application, so on some of the larger panels like the roof, this could be 5 or 6 times in total.

if you don't have a pad cleaner then forget it...end off. Put the pads back in the bag and hide them in a drawer.

2- way too much product.
I'm terrible with polish at the best of times...fire it on...fling it everywhere (I know its a waste and I've stopped it now honest), but these pads aren't forgiving if you overload them with polish (i was using the Megs cutting stuff). To prime I did a central line at about 60% of the diameter and a smaller 20% one to the far side. From that point on 2 or 3 dots per session and that is it. I used a squirt of water if I thought I still had usable polish after running the pad cleaner over it. When I was done this time I didn't have the matted microfibers that I had previously.

3- Too much pressure
I found I got better results with very little downwards pressure on the DA. I think I may have been working the pad too hard before and although it was spinning I think combined with the other 2 points above, it just wasn't performing.

Anyway...they say a picture (or two) paints a thousand words...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DetailingDavie For This Useful Post:
66Rob (27-03-2017), streaky (27-03-2017)
Old 27-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
66Rob
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanks for the detailed update Dave, really useful.

Looks like you got some great results in the end. I have been considering these, i'll make sure i get myself a pad cleaner as well (where did you get yours from)?
66Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #14
ShampooEfficient
Washmitt Meister

I've also had excellent results using CarPro Essence on a cutting pad... tad more expensive to do so but it was handy and worked well
ShampooEfficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
DetailingDavie
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Rob View Post
Thanks for the detailed update Dave, really useful.

Looks like you got some great results in the end. I have been considering these, i'll make sure i get myself a pad cleaner as well (where did you get yours from)?
I needed to spend a couple of quid more on an auto finesse order back in the Black Friday sales to qualify for free delivery, so added one into my order. I think they are pretty much all the same tbh, and I've ended up using it a lot more than I thought I would (even when using the normal foam pads)
Old 27-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,288 Posts
Garage
Glad you go there in the end and your completely right about the corrections you made, I've used this system when it first came out and found it great for cutting and it's ability to finish off well but didn't think the D301 offered much in the way of finish so I used 205 as my finishing polish because that is SMAT as well. What finishing polish did you use.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
DetailingDavie
Unwashed Member

Menzerna Sf3800 for the finishing but I'm also doing an intermediate step with 2200 which might be a bit of an overkill
Old 27-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,288 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailingDavie View Post
Menzerna Sf3800 for the finishing but I'm also doing an intermediate step with 2200 which might be a bit of an overkill
If you have it then Menzerna 3500 on a polishing pad mate that should remove any existing marring or fine swirls
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
streaky
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Interesting that you can use a cleaning brush on the pad as I thought you had to use compressed air to clean it.
streaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #20
DetailingDavie
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
If you have it then Menzerna 3500 on a polishing pad mate that should remove any existing marring or fine swirls
Instead of the 3800?