Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 20-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
galamaa
Washmitt Meister

I am glad that you brought out this test. Hell yeah, I have used many and many wash mitts and yes, they marred the paint. Even if I use the same producer, they have different quality (I don`t want to say, which products) but this is merino wash mitt (merino hair is almost 6 times thinner than usual lamb hair. Much softer) They are different, if you touch them - one is harsher than another and this harder causes pretty good marring. I have tested a lot prewashes and shampoos, using different methods. Wash pure and dirt panel - results are the same. Same marring.
Already thought, that I must test dooka. Maybe it`s right time, because someone else has also found, that this marring is caused by the wash mitt.
galamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
markcaughey
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
I still find it incredible that the Adam's washmitt, as fluffy as it is with all that pre-wash and shampoo, can still cause damage....

I would very much like to see this test repeated with Gtechniq

Would also like to see it with just a wax, but appreciate that's a tall ask :P

Im afraid once the paint has been corrected and coatings are on the only pad going near the paint will be the Dooka, however it will still be interesting to see how it holds up over time as the Dooka did still mark the unprotected paint ever so slightly
markcaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markcaughey For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (21-03-2017)
Old 22-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #23
Gussy
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrey Sam View Post

I'm sure wash pads inflict more marring from having to apply downward pressure. A wash mitt on the other hand (pun intended) allows you to manoeuvre the wash medium around the panels without having to create downward pressure.
This. I've never liked wash pads for this reason.
Gussy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gussy For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (11-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #24
markcaughey
PC Perfectionist

Just thought i would report back after doing Gtechniq coatings

I haven't washed the car yet but i did do some tests while coating the car and the Crystal Serum Light Plus EXO v3 seem to have significantly helped the soft paint on my car from marring so easily which I'm well chuffed with.

I will definitely report back after a few washes and let use know how the paint is looking

Lets hope i can keep it looking like this

Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
todds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I read on various forums in the usa a few months back that many people found that the adams wash pad and the chemical guys wash pad caused marring and i think i posted same on this forum as i was seriously thinking of buying both of those at the time and was doing research on them. Thats good news about the dooka wash pad as i was thinking of getting one.
regards
todds
todds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #26
trv8
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcaughey View Post

I polished the bonnet, boot lid and one door completely removing all the light marring and then panel wiped them so each of the panels i was testing on had perfect paint and no protection on them whatsoever. I then drove the car around 50 miles so it had some dirt on it and was a fair test, then washed it
Slight flaw in your test......and I'm not being funny .......but there are no pics of the panels after being polished at the start of this test.
trv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #27
MBRuss
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
This. I've never liked wash pads for this reason.
Likewise. The mitt doesn't even need to have the weight of it and the water pressing down on the panel - you can suspend your hand above the car and lightly drag it over with no real weight on it at all.

Also, you're more likely to drop a pad on the floor than a mitt, and you can keep your hand nice and flat inside the mitt when washing, which helps, whereas I guess you have to kinda grab a handful of pad just to hold it and move it?
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #28
markcaughey
PC Perfectionist

Oh well after just one wash I can already see some light marring on the bootlid, roof and bonnet. Looks like there is no hope for my paint at this point !

At least the car looked good for a day !

It is very minor to be honest the car still looks better than most on the road. I just hope it doesn't build up over time and end up a mess again !

Only time will tell

Last edited by markcaughey; 21-04-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 21-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #29
markcaughey
PC Perfectionist

Just tried to take some photos to post up of what I'm talking about and to be hones they are very minor I can't get them to show on camera at all.

Compared to the marring before when the car was washed with no protection it's still a huge improvement
Old 21-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #30
Smanderson117
Washmitt Meister

Very strange that your car has really soft paint as most BMW's are renowned for hard pain?
Smanderson117 is offline   Reply With Quote