Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
slimjimvw
Washmitt Meister
 
slimjimvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Devon
Posts: 177
Thanks: 14
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Which Hexlogic pad with Meguiars 205/105 ?

I'm just assembling an order to go with my first DA (DAS-6 PRO). I've decided to go down the Megs 205/105 & Hexlodic pad route as it gets consistant reviews and is suitable for a beginner like myself.

Now my latest headache is which pads to use ? There seems to be 4 grades available. To start with i will be polishing my 03 plate VW Golf.

Can anyone shine any light on the matter ?

Thanks,

Jim
slimjimvw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slimjimvw For This Useful Post:
a6l3i (06-03-2012), packto (21-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
-Raven-
Distinguished Detailer
 
-Raven-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: TG S22E02
Posts: 8,537
Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 4,466 Times in 2,847 Posts
Garage
Orange and white.
-Raven- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
herbiedacious
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
herbiedacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: north shields
Posts: 1,946
Thanks: 457
Thanked 1,229 Times in 872 Posts
Garage
Here you go Chap,heres one to print and laminate:
http://www.cuprasport.co.uk/hexlogic...ic_guide_2.pdf
herbiedacious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to herbiedacious For This Useful Post:
a6l3i (06-03-2012), ammo-mcr (12-12-2016), Clyde (06-03-2012), dbspider (11-03-2012), Frog (06-01-2017), Kickasskev (21-11-2016), ricky_patel (19-02-2015), slimjimvw (05-03-2012), Sparky160 (06-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
slimjimvw
Washmitt Meister
 
slimjimvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Devon
Posts: 177
Thanks: 14
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by type[r]+ View Post
Orange and white.
Would the Orange not be "to harsh" ?

Would i need a finishing pad (black)with the #205 over the white ?
slimjimvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer
 
Dave KG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Highland Perthshire
Posts: 28,449
Thanks: 235
Thanked 9,767 Times in 3,173 Posts
Woah, you have a can of worms right here.

First thing you need to know is that 105 and 205 are non-dimishing SMAT abrasives. The amount of cut they will deliver depends on many factors, one of which is the pad you choose (others include the pressure applied and the length of set).

To recommend pads is therefore very difficult, but as a starter I would be looking to have three main pads - one finishing, one medium polishing and one cutting. For me it would be black, white and yellow respectively and possible have the green in there too sitting between white and yellow as a very good middle ground.

205 can happily be used on black for finishing, white for light correction with light pressure or more moderate correction if you increase pressure and set length (use water to lengthen the set if required). Also on green for more cut if you need it and increase the pressure to get it to cut more... If you use light pressure at the end of your set with 205 in white then you likely wont need to follow with 205 on black but the paint may be very soft and sensitive so check it and look for an enhancement - if there is one, go for that step.

105 can be used on a white pad for moderate correction, green for moderate to heavy or yellow for heavy correction - and again, it is pressure dependent.

There are loads of variables here, it would be impossible to recommend just a couple of pads in my eyes to use with these products - part of their strong suit is their flexibility and having a range of pads adds to this flexibility.
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave KG For This Useful Post:
a6l3i (06-03-2012), Clyde (06-03-2012), Kickasskev (21-11-2016), MidlandsCarCare (05-03-2012), OGGYsri (06-03-2012), robifis (09-03-2015), turbom (04-12-2016), X-Type_Bobstar (16-02-2017)
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
-Raven-
Distinguished Detailer
 
-Raven-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: TG S22E02
Posts: 8,537
Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 4,466 Times in 2,847 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjimvw View Post
Would the Orange not be "to harsh" ?

Would i need a finishing pad (black)with the #205 over the white ?
No and no.
-Raven- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Demetri
Distinguished Detailer
 
Demetri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 8,426
Thanks: 1,609
Thanked 2,513 Times in 2,308 Posts
Garage
Hex pads are very good and last VFM
Demetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
slimjimvw
Washmitt Meister
 
slimjimvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Devon
Posts: 177
Thanks: 14
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Brilliant. Thanks very much fellas.

I'm going to order orange and white as they seem the most versatile colours.

I'm only looking to remove fine swirling so i'm expecting white to work well but have the orange if it doesn't.
slimjimvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
slimjimvw
Washmitt Meister
 
slimjimvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Devon
Posts: 177
Thanks: 14
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
Woah, you have a can of worms right here.

First thing you need to know is that 105 and 205 are non-dimishing SMAT abrasives. The amount of cut they will deliver depends on many factors, one of which is the pad you choose (others include the pressure applied and the length of set).

To recommend pads is therefore very difficult, but as a starter I would be looking to have three main pads - one finishing, one medium polishing and one cutting. For me it would be black, white and yellow respectively and possible have the green in there too sitting between white and yellow as a very good middle ground.

205 can happily be used on black for finishing, white for light correction with light pressure or more moderate correction if you increase pressure and set length (use water to lengthen the set if required). Also on green for more cut if you need it and increase the pressure to get it to cut more... If you use light pressure at the end of your set with 205 in white then you likely wont need to follow with 205 on black but the paint may be very soft and sensitive so check it and look for an enhancement - if there is one, go for that step.

105 can be used on a white pad for moderate correction, green for moderate to heavy or yellow for heavy correction - and again, it is pressure dependent.

There are loads of variables here, it would be impossible to recommend just a couple of pads in my eyes to use with these products - part of their strong suit is their flexibility and having a range of pads adds to this flexibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjimvw View Post
Brilliant. Thanks very much fellas.

I'm going to order orange and white as they seem the most versatile colours.

I'm only looking to remove fine swirling so i'm expecting white to work well but have the orange if it doesn't.
I may revise this.

So for light/moderate removal on VW paint (hard i guess?) i maybe be better off going for green and white ? Will the green give enough cut with 105 ?

Its a bloody minefield.
slimjimvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Trip tdi
Distinguished Detailer
 
Trip tdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,993
Thanks: 1,273
Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,671 Posts
Great thread here, have you owned the car since new.
Trip tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip tdi For This Useful Post:
jd1982 (30-09-2012)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors