Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 24-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
truupR
Unwashed Member

More cut? Or refine more?

Hey guys,

Joined to get some advice from the experts. Fairly inexperienced at detailing

Currently correcting my 97 Nissan Skyline R33 GTR (deep pearl grey colour (KN6)).

Products I'm using/used with my Das 6 Pro DA (in no particular order):
  • Orange hexlogic
  • Black hexlogic
  • Menzerna yellow pad
  • Menzerna Black pad

• Scholl S20 black
  • Megs 105
  • Megs ultimate
  • Menzerna Super Finish PF3500

I've prepped the whole car, sadly leaving behind some marring from the claybar. Not to worry. The Scholl S20 + orange hexlogic left good results on a 2 pass run. I thought I was making good progress, sorry for the big pictures

to

quick side by side, left not done, right side done

Now after working down the one side of the car, I started up the other thinking I was making very good process. By chance I picked up the torch for a quick inspection, I started to notice something strange. When shining the torch directly at the paint, it looks flawless. However, holding it at a high or low angle, the light starts to 'throw' and not give a perfectly clear reflection:

I tried re-passing over it with the scholl S20 black + orange hex with no change. I tried it at lower speeds, I then swapped it, trying the megs #105 and ultimate compounds again at various speeds. No luck, still getting the light scattering at different angles.

This is where my knowledge ends. I'm not sure what the next step I need to perfect the finish. I've tried swapping out the pads for the black hexlogic and menzerna pads with the PF3500.

Do I need to cut more to remove the final imperfections? Or do I need something in between cutting and finishing, as I've noticed I've not got a compound/pad that's somewhere in between?

Any help appreciated
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Sicskate
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,175 Times in 924 Posts
They look like holograms, you might need to refine with a sorter finishing pad and a finishing compound.

You're black pad should do the job, I can't advise you on a polish as I've never used the megs or scholls.

Last edited by Sicskate; 24-02-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
dchapman88
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Are you working the cutting compounds fully? Just wondering if they are not worked fully then the abrasives might not be fully broken down, and could create some marring / holograms.

A fully worked compound followed by a fully worked finisher polish on a polishing pad should see you get nice results.
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Bluebottle
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Please feel free to correct me (anyone), I have used Scholl S3 on Orange HexLogic pad followed by DodoJuice primelime plus, then photographed with my homemade'SunGun' and have not noticed any hologram. Perhaps you should try the DodoJuice product as it has a fine cut and cleans the panel ready for 'sealing' (in my case DodoJuice super hybrid sealant/wax). ��
Bluebottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,089 Times in 868 Posts
I'd say holograms from the S20, hit it with the black Hex logic and menzerna Super finish. If it does not clean it step it up. I'm not sure of my passes but try going more than 2? With Polishing it's all about time / technique. If your in a rush on the day don't try and do it all in 1 go. Taking your time is key
Alfieharley1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman88 View Post
Are you working the cutting compounds fully? Just wondering if they are not worked fully then the abrasives might not be fully broken down, and could create some marring / holograms.

A fully worked compound followed by a fully worked finisher polish on a polishing pad should see you get nice results.
This could be the problem... work the product for longer? or use less product? You could be onto something there. The S20 black has a VERY long dwell time on the paint. Unsure if the megs is any good now, it's sat in my unheated/uninsulated garage for 2 winters it dries up on the paint before I can complete one pass..

I'll try working the product for longer and post back the results tomorrow. thanks
Old 24-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
wish wash
Orbital Oracle

How are you priming your pads
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,968 Posts
Garage
You should of done a test spot first to determine if the paint is hard or soft, and by looking at the pictures and the car make you could be dealing with soft paint. Now correcting can be easy on soft paint as long as you don't go to aggressive first which looks like you have, i.e. You are creating your own damage. You need a finishing polish and pad that will cut but finish down easy. Menzerna 3500 is a great finishing polish but can be a bit oily to remove on soft paint then you will have light marring when removing it.

A great finishing polish is Sonax perfect finish, great for soft paints and all other paint, but easily to remove. Good luck I hope you find a solution
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
How are you priming your pads
Uh, I typically just rub the product to cover the surface of the pad when using a fresh one..
Old 24-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
You should of done a test spot first to determine if the paint is hard or soft, and by looking at the pictures and the car make you could be dealing with soft paint. Now correcting can be easy on soft paint as long as you don't go to aggressive first which looks like you have, i.e. You are creating your own damage. You need a finishing polish and pad that will cut but finish down easy. Menzerna 3500 is a great finishing polish but can be a bit oily to remove on soft paint then you will have light marring when removing it.

A great finishing polish is Sonax perfect finish, great for soft paints and all other paint, but easily to remove. Good luck I hope you find a solution
Looking it up, it seems Nissan paint is classified 'soft'. How much of a generalization that is, who knows. The car is 20 years old so unsure if the source of that info applies to cars from 2 decades ago...

It could be any of the above really. Going to try using the Sonax perfect finish or equivalent (megs #205?) on the hexlogic black. I'll also try re-working the product for longer in an un-tested area to see what the results are.