Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 24-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #11
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieharley1 View Post
I'd say holograms from the S20, hit it with the black Hex logic and menzerna Super finish. If it does not clean it step it up. I'm not sure of my passes but try going more than 2? With Polishing it's all about time / technique. If your in a rush on the day don't try and do it all in 1 go. Taking your time is key
Yeah this could be the problem. After a 2-pass under the work-light, all seemed well. I should of rechecked more closely with a torch because it felt like it was almost a little too easy/fast.
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
truupR
Unwashed Member

So I've royally ****ed up now. Not sure how badly.

In a nutshell - theres now a 'dull' finish, on an area around 6x6 on the paint. Almost like a matte finish. Not shiny like the rest.

I was using the menzerna black finishing pad and the menzerna super finish PF3500 on the area in question. Previously I was working down in small sections on the side of the car with the black hexlogic and scholl S20 at low speed. I then tried a new section on a higher speed. Both got good results at removing almost all of the marking which was causing the light to scatter.

I moved on again and swapped to what I'd consider my absolute softest/lightest pad and polish combo. The polish apparently has no cut, and the pad is the softest they make from what I can see. After a few mins working it into the paint I've been left with a dull matte like finish?!

From what little knowledge I have + google: I've either:

A. burnt through the clear coat? Though I'm not sure how, as I'm using the mildest pad/polish combo
B. 'overworked' the polish?

Is there such a thing on 'overworking' polish?? What does it look like? I'm scared at even attempting putting the orange pad to the paint in-case I have in fact ballsed up the clear coat.

I'll try and post some pics. Any help appreciated
Old 25-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #13
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Garage
Did the pad have any of the paint colour on it when you took it away?
If you had no clearcoat you'd be polishing on paint so the pad would come away the same colour as the car (mildly)
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman88 View Post
Did the pad have any of the paint colour on it when you took it away?
If you had no clearcoat you'd be polishing on paint so the pad would come away the same colour as the car (mildly)
Not that I could see of, the car is dark grey and the pads are black. I tried using some detail spray + a white applicator pad over the area. Then tried it with some white polish on the pad and rubbed it over the area - no colour was on the applicator pad after going over it several times...
Old 25-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #15
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Garage
Well if you've used a white applicator pad over the area after you think you've 'gone through' the clear coat, I'd say you'd be fine there.

I'd like to say someone with experience with those particular products will come along soon with some technical advice.
I wouldn't worry too much on the clearcoat issue, I'd say your ok there.
Pics might be helpful though....
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,632 Posts
Garage
Mate I would seriously put a picture up just show us what is going on. I don't mean to be rude but it's obvious that you are clearly struggling, so before you carry on with another pad and polish it's best to put some up.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #17
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,244 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Mate I would seriously put a picture up just show us what is going on. I don't mean to be rude but it's obvious that you are clearly struggling, so before you carry on with another pad and polish it's best to put some up.
Like Chongo said but some pictures up. Mick Will be the Man to help (He has really helped me) or a quick PM to Stangalang and i am sure Matt will be able to help.

Ill also see whats going on when pictures are up to see if I can use my experience on this.#

Also where are you based? If you local I will happily come over to have a look.

Last edited by Alfieharley1; 26-02-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Alfieharley1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfieharley1 For This Useful Post:
Titanium Htail (27-04-2017)
Old 25-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #18
truupR
Unwashed Member

It's very difficult to photograph:

You can see how clear the reflection is, and how 'murky' it gets in the affected area.

And you're right, I'm totally out of my depth here in a sense of I don't know what it is so I'm not attempting to fix in case I end up doing more damage. You live and learn eh!

Edit: and I'm based in South Wales unfortunately Alfie lol
Old 25-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #19
carlmu77
Sponge Jockey

I would have got a 2nd hand panel from a scrappy to practice with first before jumping in, only saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlmu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #20
truupR
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmu77 View Post
I would have got a 2nd hand panel from a scrappy to practice with first before jumping in, only saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've detailed 4 cars before this with amazing results. Never done Nissan paint and haven't really used anything overly agressive. Scholl S20 is a medium cut, the orange hex is a medium cut. In my defense it's not like I've dived in with the heaviest cut pad and compound I could find.

This hazing on the paint has been caused by polish, not a cutting compound...