Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer
 
dchapman88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,239
Thanks: 414
Thanked 686 Times in 509 Posts
Garage
Hmmmmm
I am on new(ish) Nissan paint at the moment, in a juke owner.

I have used a few different finishing polishes on Hex white blue and black to see results. Not come across anything like this.

Have you got an all out glaze you can try on it?
I'm out of ideas, sorry!

I'm interested to see what people have to suggest here....
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #22
truupR
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, didn't realise the thumbnails for the images don't link to the full-res version (though it probably doesn't help):

link

link
link
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #23
truupR
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman88 View Post
Hmmmmm
I am on new(ish) Nissan paint at the moment, in a juke owner.

I have used a few different finishing polishes on Hex white blue and black to see results. Not come across anything like this.

Have you got an all out glaze you can try on it?
I'm out of ideas, sorry!

I'm interested to see what people have to suggest here....
Not got any glazes at the moment sadly. I ordered the sonax perfect finish yesterday. I'm sure if it's something that's ON the paint I can easily take it off by re-cutting. I'm terrified that I'll end up completely ruining it if that's not what it is. Need an expert eye
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #24
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,200
Thanks: 5,471
Thanked 4,357 Times in 2,633 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
Sorry, didn't realise the thumbnails for the images don't link to the full-res version (though it probably doesn't help):

link

link
link
Right am not that sure but has the car had a respray at some point in its life? It probably has been being that old, and the last picture shows a hell of a lot of orange peel in the paint. You might very well be dealing very thin soft paint and just maybe when refining you have just passed that point where you have damage the clear coat what finishing polish did you use and how did you refine it i.e. Polishing with your machine.

Plus have you tried a panel wipe to see if that removes any of it, I doubt it would,but try. It's also showing texture in the paint by the looks of it
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (18-05-2017)
Old 25-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #25
uggski
PC Perfectionist
 
uggski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 353
Thanks: 255
Thanked 150 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
I've detailed 4 cars before this with amazing results. Never done Nissan paint and haven't really used anything overly agressive. Scholl S20 is a medium cut, the orange hex is a medium cut. In my defense it's not like I've dived in with the heaviest cut pad and compound I could find.

This hazing on the paint has been caused by polish, not a cutting compound...
Orange Hex can be quite an aggressive pad depending on the polish. On soft Nissan paint I have never used more than a green with Menzerna final finish.

And thats from advice from Chongo

Last edited by uggski; 25-02-2017 at 10:36 PM.
uggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uggski For This Useful Post:
chongo (25-02-2017), Guitarjon (17-05-2017)
Old 25-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #26
DrEskimo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
DrEskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,567
Thanks: 505
Thanked 796 Times in 597 Posts
More cut? Or refine more?

Personally I wouldn't touch it with anything else until either you or some kind member nearby can get a paint depth measurement.
DrEskimo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #27
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,200
Thanks: 5,471
Thanked 4,357 Times in 2,633 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
Personally I wouldn't touch it with anything else until either you or some kind member nearby can get a paint depth measurement.
By the look of it it's to late. But anybody doing any kind of correction should have a PDG especially if you don't know the paints history.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (25-02-2017)
Old 25-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #28
DrEskimo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
DrEskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,567
Thanks: 505
Thanked 796 Times in 597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
By the look of it it's to late. But anybody doing any kind of correction should have a PDG especially if you don't know the paints history.


Quite....!

Guess this is a case of the best time was yesterday, but the second best time is now!
DrEskimo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #29
truupR
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Right am not that sure but has the car had a respray at some point in its life? It probably has been being that old, and the last picture shows a hell of a lot of orange peel in the paint. You might very well be dealing very thin soft paint and just maybe when refining you have just passed that point where you have damage the clear coat what finishing polish did you use and how did you refine it i.e. Polishing with your machine.

Plus have you tried a panel wipe to see if that removes any of it, I doubt it would,but try. It's also showing texture in the paint by the looks of it
I believe you're right with the respray. When I got to that section of the car I noticed slight overspray near the spoiler. It's definitely had a 'touch up' paint job at some point in Japan (hasn't been in the country that long tbh). There's a few overspray freckles around the back of the car. And you're right with it showing a strange orange peely texture in that last pic

This paint finish occurred after a fairly quick 2 pass with Menzerma Super Finish PF3500 at speed 3ish on my DAS 6 pro (not sure if that's too high RPM). I've not tried any type of wipes or removal on it yet. Just left it where it was and came to seek some help.
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #30
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,200
Thanks: 5,471
Thanked 4,357 Times in 2,633 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
I believe you're right with the respray. When I got to that section of the car I noticed slight overspray near the spoiler. It's definitely had a 'touch up' paint job at some point in Japan (hasn't been in the country that long tbh). There's a few overspray freckles around the back of the car. And you're right with it showing a strange orange peely texture in that last pic

This paint finish occurred after a fairly quick 2 pass with Menzerma Super Finish PF3500 at speed 3ish on my DAS 6 pro (not sure if that's too high RPM). I've not tried any type of wipes or removal on it yet. Just left it where it was and came to seek some help.
Listen mate I think you should go back to the basics when it comes to machine polishing because by what your saying two passes with 3500 at speed 3 is not even slightly enough to fully get the best of any finishing polish, and you think speed 3 is to high.

I can only give you an idea but really it's very hard not to see what's really going on unless it can be seen in the flesh. So unless some pro on here can give you some other insight, then I suggest you fine your nearest pro Detailer to have a look. Good luck mate I hope you find an answer
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors