Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
FakeThinkpad
Sponge Jockey

Micro marring from hell

I have this car that has very soft paint (been resprayd once) and under normal tube/halogen light it looks amazing after a 2-stage correction. but once i placed my new detailing light source, 6000 lumen of light with natural 5500k Led light at angle i see these micro marrings all over.

So i have concluded that its not the DA or correction that is causing this but the MF cloths when removing the polish. i have tried using,

New short pile
New long pile
washed short pile
washed long pile

different manufacturers (20/80, 30/70, 40/60 mixes) but no matter how i remove it or what i try it leaves micro marring!

even tried something completely new (ran out of ideas) and used medium hot running water to try and remove the polish with the idea of not even touching the paint but that dident work.

im putting CSL and EXO (need the scratch resistance) on top of this so i need the paint flawless before putting any coating on there, maybe the CSL will fill in the marring somewhat?

Please, any idea on what to try here?

Christian
FakeThinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
So what finishing polish and pad are you using? Because it's easy to correct soft paint, but the hardest part is the refining stage this we're micro marring can happen.

You want to be looking for a finishing polish that doesn't leave a lot of residue when broken down like Sonax Perfect finish this is excellent on soft paint as well and wipes away dead easy with no pressure at all.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (16-03-2017), Cookies (04-03-2017), graham1970 (05-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,678 Posts
Without meaning to sound cheeky here are you certain that the paint is perfect from the correction first before looking at the cloths, as you appear to have tried many cloths which points to the imperfections being there in the first place as I wouldn't expect all cloths to leave marring, unless perhaps they are bargain basement ones?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
FakeThinkpad
Sponge Jockey

I´m using Meg 205 and Hexalogic pads mostly been using their green pad for polishing. tried both wiping off with some product left on the panel and fully broken down but as soon as the MF touches the paint i can see exactly where/how i stroke the panel with the MF.

now, when letting the 205 break down properly it is easier to wipe off but still gives me fine marring.

FYI i started the same thread in better suited section,
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=391088
Old 04-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
FakeThinkpad
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossiecol View Post
Without meaning to sound cheeky here are you certain that the paint is perfect from the correction first before looking at the cloths, as you appear to have tried many cloths which points to the imperfections being there in the first place as I wouldn't expect all cloths to leave marring, unless perhaps they are bargain basement ones?
Good point, let me fill you in on the DA products first,
I´m using Meg 205 and Hexalogic pads mostly been using their green pad for polishing mostly so far. tried both wiping off with some product left on the panel and fully broken down but as soon as the MF touches the paint i can see exactly where/how i stroke the panel with the MF.

now, when letting the 205 break down properly it is easier to wipe off but still gives me fine marring.
given that i clearly can see the strokes on the paint (tried changing wipe-off direction) this is where i left my assumption that its the MF/wipe-off that is causing this.

regarding which MF cloths i use i have mostly tried these two,
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microf.../prod_192.html
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microf.../prod_163.html
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Teufel
Washmitt Meister

For problem cases like your car I got a bottle kamikaze artificial clearcoat home .
Just apply and put the coating on top .
Not the cheapest option but the only one I know .
Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,842 Posts
Garage
My guess is that the green pad is too aggressive for the soft paint. It would be worth a go with say a black pad to see if that improves matters.

Last edited by steelghost; 04-03-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
graham1970 (05-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeThinkpad View Post
I´m using Meg 205 and Hexalogic pads mostly been using their green pad for polishing. tried both wiping off with some product left on the panel and fully broken down but as soon as the MF touches the paint i can see exactly where/how i stroke the panel with the MF.

FYI i started the same thread in better suited section,
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=391088
See 205 is a smat polish so it depends on the pad and definitely the green pad is to aggressive as someone has already mentioned in the other post, you will need either the black one and no pressure at all when finishing off with 205 and don't use to much product on your pad and work ar around speed 3-4
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
graham1970 (05-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
FakeThinkpad
Sponge Jockey

thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try changing over to a black pad tomorrow, would you make sure to break the polish down or just use 1-2 passes, also, would I benefit from removing the polish before it dries up completely?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,842 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeThinkpad View Post
thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try changing over to a black pad tomorrow, would you make sure to break the polish down or just use 1-2 passes, also, would I benefit from removing the polish before it dries up completely?
205 doesn't break down, it's a non-diminishing polish.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
graham1970 (05-03-2017)