Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
scooobydont
Sponge Jockey

Scholl S20 first try (may need a little guidance)

Hi Folks,

Following on from my introduction thread here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=390785

Read loads of guides, watched lots of vids, today was the day to break my DA virginity and bring out my das6pro. I have short vids, before, 1st pass and 2nd pass.

Car did not get a complete wash as I was only concentrating on the one area to get a feel for it. Boot was washed. dried, clayed before proceeding.

I started with a white hex pad but it wasnt doing much, then tried the purple spider pad that came with the s20, still nothing much happening but definitely felt easier to use than any of the hex pads I tried. Finally settled on an orange hex pad, it is the most aggressive one I have at present and did start to see results!

Before:

I then did 4 passes with S20, 1st pass horizontal, 2nd pass vertical, etc

I then did another 4 passes (topped up s20 on pad)

There is a lot of improvement in the paint work, all the cobwebbing has gone but as you can see I still have some rather garish scratches (they have not gone through the clearcoat).

My question is, to remove these would I use a more aggressive pad or a more aggressive polish?

I did finish up with 476s just to keep things sealed (it's weeing it down now)

Last edited by scooobydont; 04-03-2017 at 09:56 PM.
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scooobydont For This Useful Post:
ADSCLIOCUP (04-03-2017), IanG (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
ADSCLIOCUP
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,098 Posts
Garage
Thanks for posting
ADSCLIOCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,968 Posts
Garage
Nice job mate yes you will need a cutting compound and pad if you want to improve the scratches, but some might be to deep and if you really don't know the paints history i.e. Has it been respray then just be careful. Has the bonnet been respray before?
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
macca666

Garage
I would've thought the purple spider pad and orange hex were pretty similar.

Scholl do a navy spider pad which is classed as a heavy cutting pad whereas the purple is a polishing pad but can be used for correction dependant on paintwork. As yours is a Beemer I'd have thought the paintwork would be hard I know my 5 series was.

Here's the Polished Bliss link which gives a guide for which combo and machine as S20 is advertised as a one step high performance cutting compound so thought it would have been suffice.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...s20-black.html

Last edited by macca666; 05-03-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Link amended.
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
scooobydont
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Nice job mate yes you will need a cutting compound and pad if you want to improve the scratches, but some might be to deep and if you really don't know the paints history i.e. Has it been respray then just be careful. Has the bonnet been respray before?
Cheers.

I dont know the paint history, had the car 2 weeks. When you say bonnet I assume you mean the boot? The paint looks original to my totally amateur eye.
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,640 Times in 2,029 Posts
Personally I would step up the polish, I turn to a heavy cut Menzerna polish if I'm removing deep scratches.
As Chongo says tho paint depth and condition need to be considered, you don't want to go to deep and regret it !!!!

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
gibbo555

You'll have to go with a heavier compound and pad to sort those out, S3 gold on the aforementioned navy spider pad would be worth a shot, but again air on the side of caution, get paint depth readings before attempting.

I know you were only trying it out but if you're having to do that many hits it kind of defeats the purpose of S20 Black, you could have it compounded, polished and refine in as many hits, only my opinion of course.
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
macca666

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo555 View Post
I know you were only trying it out but if you're having to do that many hits it kind of defeats the purpose of S20 Black, you could have it compounded, polished and refine in as many hits, only my opinion of course.
I thought part of the point was that you didn't need to buy two three different polishes not necessarily less hits? If you can buy one polish which does the job of two or three it's got to save you money as opposed maybe to the time aspect? That was certainly my reasoning for buying it
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
gibbo555

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca666 View Post
I thought part of the point was that you didn't need to buy two three different polishes not necessarily less hits? If you can buy one polish which does the job of two or three it's got to save you money as opposed maybe to the time aspect? That was certainly my reasoning for buying it
Yes very true
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gibbo555 For This Useful Post:
macca666 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,968 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
Cheers.

I dont know the paint history, had the car 2 weeks. When you say bonnet I assume you mean the boot? The paint looks original to my totally amateur eye.
Yes mate I meant the boot

So what compound are you looking at, and as said before you May need a PDG just to be on the safe side when only having the car for 2 weeks if you intend to go for the deeper scratches. If you don't decide to go for a compound then why not try a filler glaze just to improve the finish and hide(not all) the scratches this would be better option.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote