Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 05-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
paulb1976
Washmitt Meister

FWIW I bought S20 for my honda ctr which had really soft paint, used a few pad combos since but i find that it's not that aggressive. Great polish and finishes well for fine scratches but deep scratches i found it didn't touch them.
paulb1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
Sawel
Washmitt Meister

The purple Scholl pad is a moderate cutting pad and does well on soft and intermediate paint but not aggressive enough for hard paint.

Assuming your BMW has hard paint (after testing as on the odd occasion it might not be) then I'd be looking at the Scholl white spider pad which would still require at least a few hits.

The Scholl pads in order of aggressiveness below...

White softouch lambswool pad --> White spider pad --> Navy spider pad --> Purple spider pad --> Orange spider pad --> Black pad

The white spider has good cut and finishes down quite well with S20. The purple pad takes too many hits for significant scratch improvement on hard paint but is an excellent choice on soft and intermediate paint.

Last edited by Sawel; 05-03-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Sawel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sawel For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (12-03-2017), steelghost (06-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Sawel
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb1976 View Post
FWIW I bought S20 for my honda ctr which had really soft paint, used a few pad combos since but i find that it's not that aggressive. Great polish and finishes well for fine scratches but deep scratches i found it didn't touch them.

S20 has pretty good cut, slightly less than S17. I suggest your pad choice was wrong if you noticed that it "didn't touch" the scratches on your "really soft paint".
Old 05-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #14
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,085 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawel View Post
The purple Scholl pad is a moderate cutting pad and does well on soft and intermediate paint but not aggressive enough for hard paint.

Assuming your BMW has hard paint (after testing as on the odd occasion it might not be) then I'd be looking at the Scholl white spider pad which would still require at least a few hits.

The Scholl pads in order of aggressiveness below...

White softouch lambswool pad --> White spider pad --> Navy spider pad --> Purple spider pad --> Orange spider pad --> Black pad

The white spider has good cut finishes down quite well with S20. The purple pad takes too many hits for significant scratch improvement on hard paint but is an excellent choice on soft and intermediate paint.
Hi mate just one question, you say a few hits does that mean a few section passes or just passes
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
Sawel
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Hi mate just one question, you say a few hits does that mean a few section passes or just passes
What I meant was...

After doing an 18 x 18 inch area with 3-4 passes with some pressure (go a little firmer on particular scratches when passing) then a pass or 2 with little or no pressure, wipe polish away with IPA and inspect progress. Repeat this several times for worthwhile results and take paint measurement readings.

Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Radish293
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca666 View Post
I thought part of the point was that you didn't need to buy two three different polishes not necessarily less hits? If you can buy one polish which does the job of two or three it's got to save you money as opposed maybe to the time aspect? That was certainly my reasoning for buying it
That's exactly my thoughts I'd been using S17 S40 combo and ran out. Buying S20 was much cheaper and does the trick. I do tend to think it needs their spider pads to work at it's best.
Radish293 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radish293 For This Useful Post:
Darren68 (05-03-2017), macca666 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #17
scooobydont
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for the replies folks, off to look at paint depth gauges, if they are cheap I will get one, if not will leave as is for now...

Pads wise, I really liked the feel of the spider pad so may just go with a more aggressive spider pad. This is dependent on the paint depth of course. Will have a look at more aggressive compounds also.

I guess the paint depth will determine what happens next.
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #18
Sawel
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
Thanks for the replies folks, off to look at paint depth gauges, if they are cheap I will get one, if not will leave as is for now...

Pads wise, I really liked the feel of the spider pad so may just go with a more aggressive spider pad. This is dependent on the paint depth of course. Will have a look at more aggressive compounds also.

I guess the paint depth will determine what happens next.
Have a look at this paint depth gauge - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=366306

Lots on here have it. It costs around £80 and is pretty decent. It's a bit of a pain to get to grips with initially but after that, you'll get the hang of it and it's pretty accurate too.

With German paint being hard in most cases, even if you think you're going aggressive you're not removing many microns of paint. If you used an aggressive pad and compound on German paint and used the same combination on soft Japanese paint, you'll remove much more paint on the Japanese car! Plus, Japanese paint is normally quite thin so great care is needed at all times.

As part of my job I get to work on all manufacturer type paint systems and you'd be surprised how thin paint can be on some cars!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #19
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,085 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawel View Post
What I meant was...

After doing an 18 x 18 inch area with 3-4 passes with some pressure (go a little firmer on particular scratches when passing) then a pass or 2 with little or no pressure, wipe polish away with IPA and inspect progress. Repeat this several times for worthwhile results and take paint measurement readings.

Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer.

Arr seven passes then
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #20
Sawel
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Arr seven passes then
Or 2-3 'sets'? I've heard some use that term but never used it myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawel For This Useful Post:
chongo (05-03-2017)