Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 05-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
TommyMardon
Unwashed Member

New to machine polishing - a few teething problems.

Evening all.

A few days a go I asked for a few pointers on machine polishing just before I got going. I have been reading up on it for a few months now.

I was a bit nervous at first but I found handling the machine pretty easy if I'm honest, a lot easier than I thought. I only did a little spot test to try and get some results. I have all the CG Hex-Logic pads. The machine was a DAS6 Pro Plus.

I only did one test but I didn't really get any results. I used the orange hex pad along with Meguiars Ulitmate compound and I didn't achieve anything. 100% operator error of course. I was working on my mrs' Seat Ibiza which has some light swirling. I understand German cars have hard paint so I was always going to have some trouble as a rookie.

I wanted to ask for further advice before I have another go with any more aggressive. I've got the yellow Hex pad too and some CG microfibre cutting pads. Is Microfibre the way to go?

I appreciate any help.
TommyMardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
JamesRS5
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Did you work it long enough to get a result? How many passes did you make? How fast are you moving the machine? What speed setting are you using? These all make a difference, try different techniques before using a more aggressive pad. Move the machine more slowly, make sure the pad is rotating, maybe use a higher speed setting, keep at it and you'll see a result.
JamesRS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
mac1459
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Seat paint is not that hard, did my sons Leon last year most i used was CG green pad , mainly a white pad with Megs UC. This removed all swirl marks and more.
speed 2 to spread, then speed 5 to work until you see the compound starting to flash, 18"x 18" or 3 pads width by 3 pads width area.

Last edited by mac1459; 06-03-2017 at 08:16 PM.
mac1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Eric the Red
Orbital Oracle

Get yourself on a course with a professional in your area it will pay dividends in the long term, or read the guides on here written by davekg, you can find them in the review section
Eric the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric the Red For This Useful Post:
mb1 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
mb1
Washmitt Meister

Garage
does Pro valeting and detailing do courses
mb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
TommyMardon
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRS5 View Post
Did you work it long enough to get a result? How many passes did you make? How fast are you moving the machine? What speed setting are you using? These all make a difference, try different techniques before using a more aggressive pad. Move the machine more slowly, make sure the pad is rotating, maybe use a higher speed setting, keep at it and you'll see a result.
Sorry, I should've made it more clear.

As I had my girlfriend breathing on my neck watching, I may have only made two passes. Speed setting, I may have only gone to 4.5 on the DAS6 Pro +. I did move it slowly (I have been taking notes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1459 View Post
Seat paint is not that hard, did my sons Leon last year most i used was CG green pad , mainly a white pad with Megs UC. This removed all swirl marks and more.
speed 2 to spread, then speed 5 to work until you see the compound starting to flash, 18"x 18" or 3 pads width by 3 pads width area.
Yup, I did assume it was operator error (Me of course). I used speed 1 to spread and never touched 5. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
Get yourself on a course with a professional in your area it will pay dividends in the long term, or read the guides on here written by davekg, you can find them in the review section
I didn't know there were such courses! It's definitely something I'd be interested in. Cheer mate, I'll have a look.
TommyMardon is offline   Reply With Quote