Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 16-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
czm
Sponge Jockey

Polish help

Looking at a new polish to take out some fine swirl marks on Jaguar Italian Racing red paint.

I was going with megs 105 and/or 205 however have been reading up on the Scholl 20 Black one stepper.

What should go for and what pads would you recommend for each?

Thanks and hopefully you can help me make my mind up.
czm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi,

What products and pads do you have already? Or are you starting out?

What results are you looking for and if you already have polishes and pads what is it you'd like to change out the results they give?

I'm a fan of S20 with Scholl spider pads but without knowing exactly what you're looking for it's a bit difficult to give considered, quality suggestions.

Photos???

Good luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,352 Times in 2,628 Posts
Garage
For your paint then Sonax perfect finish on any polishing pad, besides Meguairs MF finishing pad. But what are you using? DA or Rotary.. pictures might help
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
czm
Sponge Jockey

Using DA
Van has just be totally resprayed to a good standard however really would like to get is as swirl free/flat as possible.

As I mentioned, it is very minor light swirls from the body shop polisher. You can just make out at 7'o clock from the light refelection
I will grab some close ups tonight but do have this on my PC for reference on the colour ect.

free image hosting gallery
Old 16-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
scooobydont
Washmitt Meister

Damn that looks good!
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
Very nice so it's had a full respray then when was that? I take it was oven baked as they have taken a mop to it after the respray so besides the swirls you see, you will probably have some slight hollowgrams in the clear so your best off just using a light polish and a polishing pad, but put some more pictures up if you can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (16-03-2017), czm (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
czm
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Very nice so it's had a full respray then when was that? I take it was oven baked as they have taken a mop to it after the respray so besides the swirls you see, you will probably have some slight hollowgrams in the clear so your best off just using a light polish and a polishing pad, but put some more pictures up if you can
Excatly m8 and thank you for the reply

Yep it was done about 6 weeks ago and it was oven baked at the time so completely cured.

I did test a small panel using Meg#205 and a black polishing pad but that was very limited in its improvement. The clear coat seems very hard.

Should I step up to CG Green Hex Logic with Megs #105 or try the Scholl 20 Black one stepper??
Old 17-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
You will not know if it's hard by doing a test spot with a black pad as it's to soft, should of used the green pad with 205 this would of given you a good indication to see what you are dealing with, if it isn't doing nothing then switch to 105 on the green pad that's a good combo then if that's sorted the problem then finish off with 205 either the white polishing pad or the black finishing pad.

As for Scholl S20 I can't comment mate as I've not used it, but some people recommend it as a good 1 stepper, but again if it was me and I had your car I would be definitely be looking at a 2 stage polish just to make sure it is looking it's best especially on a car like yours. Mick

Last edited by chongo; 17-03-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
czm (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
czm
Sponge Jockey

Thanks again Mick
Yep I will test with the green pad and 205 to see what that looks like. If not better I will try the 105

Appreciate the comments as well, I have come this far with the bloody money pit so might as well do it properly as you say with a proper 2/3 stage job
The Following User Says Thank You to czm For This Useful Post:
chongo (17-03-2017)