Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 18-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Maccy44
Unwashed Member

New with question/issue!

Hi
I've always hand polished my cars but currently my car has gotten swirls in there that hand polishing just won't fully sort, I acquired a moss car polisher and have set to practice on my girlfriends car as it's worth about £200!
Now, is it normal - that after 10 mins use its red hot, and also are they supposed to be really hard to control, I feel like I'm fighting it to keep it in position, my arms are aching already!
Is this normal?
Thanks
Andy
Maccy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
alfa.rbt
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hello and welcome to DW. In regards to polishing technique have a read here and here
alfa.rbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
mac1459
PC Perfectionist

Garage
the polisher in question is low wattage so will heat up very quickly. You need to move the the machine it's not designed to keep in place. go to you tube and watch junkman vids.
welcome to DW.
mac1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
Maccy44
Unwashed Member

So is this regarded as a decent polisher then? It just heels like it's trying to run away with me all the time! Unless I'm applying too much pressure
Old 18-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
mac1459
PC Perfectionist

Garage
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Actio...wAAOSwHMJYCmWv
this is the basic machine that we use to remove swirls and polish cars with different compounds and pads.
what you have is fine for putting a polish on and buffing off.
if you are having problems holding it ,then could be to much pressure , does it have speed control. Is the pad getting to hot and gripping the paint work?are you keeping it level and flat to the panel? there could other problems causing this , have a look at the junkmans vids on you tube. it might answer your questions
mac1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,424 Posts
A basic machine eg DAS6 has just under ten times the power as the Moss machine so you may well be asking too much from it. The very popular DAS-Pro has 850w and so has about 15 times the power of the Moss.

I suspect going back to hand polishing or getting a more appropriate polisher are probably better options
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Maccy44
Unwashed Member

This moss polisher is 1200w and yes it has variable speed control. So with this wattage should it be getting mega hot?
Old 18-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,183 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy44 View Post
This moss polisher is 1200w and yes it has variable speed control. So with this wattage should it be getting mega hot?
might be a stupid question as im not familiar with the Moss Polisher. Its not a rotary is it? Ive used a cheap heavy rotary once and wasnt the smoothest thing to control in the beginning
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Have you got a link to the machine? In general, a polisher should not get very hot
Old 18-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
might be a stupid question as im not familiar with the Moss Polisher. Its not a rotary is it? Ive used a cheap heavy rotary once and wasnt the smoothest thing to control in the beginning
I wonder if it is this machine http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/sander-...er-79e4d6.html in which case it is a rotary. Possibly not the easiest way to learn how to polish but with some practice and decent backing plate and pads it is entirely possible. I think this is why the OP is talking about the hard time controlling the machine.

Maccy44, if you do have a rotary then in the early stages forget about removing swirls and concentrate on controlling the machine. Using the lowest speeds and a finishing pad & polish just start the machine and ensure it is at a right angle to the paint, when you slightly tilt the machine it will start to move. With a DA you push the machine around the panel but with a rotary you guide it around the panel. A scrap panel can be a useful thing to practice on. Most of the time you can get great results with speeds around 1000rpm. If you are going over 2000rpm you are probably going too fast as there are not many modern products which need anything like 2000rpm
The Following User Says Thank You to lowejackson For This Useful Post:
Christian6984 (19-03-2017)