Detailing World Forum banner

Bring your PWs in from the cold!

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  steelghost 
#1 ·
This sort of sustained cold is death to your pressure washer if it gets into the seals, so bring them in where you can.

I put trace heating on mine as it lives in a garage, turns out the trace heating has failed so it's down in the cellar (which is never below about 10°C). Hopefully no damage done...

#2 ·
steelghost speaks sense. And not just PWs.

I have (had) a cold water shower in the garden which I forgot to drain off this winter.

This morning, I found the upper upright and head on the ground (an inch from the bodywork of my Alfa:doublesho).

The steel valve and tap mechanism had been sheared straight through its middle by the ice in the pipe - you can see the mechanism through the ice!

Peter

#3 ·
steelghost speaks sense. And not just PWs.

I have (had) a cold water shower in the garden which I forgot to drain off this winter.

This morning, I found the upper upright and head on the ground (an inch from the bodywork of my Alfa:doublesho).

The steel valve and tap mechanism had been sheared straight through its middle by the ice in the pipe - you can see the mechanism through the ice!

Peter
Heater is on 24/7 in the garage in the winter for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
-4 here in North Italy.

I have ice beading on the car and icicles hanging from the exhaust pipes!

Peter

I've retreated from the shed. It's just too cold to work in there.

And I'm kicking myself: I bought a shed insulating kit from this mob - intending to do it in the autumn before installing units from an old kitchen and boarding up with pegboard. Then work intervened, it didn't get done, and now it's :censored::censored::censored: unusable for the moment. And I don't think Madam will approve of my bringing the bench grinder indoors.

Gnash grr! :censored: :censored:

Oh well. I can't do anything more. I've swept the snow away. Gritted the path. Time to sit indoors and :censored: about on the internet:wave:.

Peter

#20 ·
I used my box to create a home by covering it in that insulation foil you can put behind radiators, the pw sits on a MDF square raised of the ground and the box goes over the top, nice an snug.
If it's in an unheated garage it doesn't matter how much insulation you wrap it in if it stays at -2*c or whatever outside the entire garage and it's contents will drop to that temperature within a day or two

:)

#13 ·
Just brought my Nilfisk into the room where the boiler is (that's probably not a good idea?) and it seems water has frozen inside it (d'oh!). I've removed the front connector and the rear hose and put it in a big bucket to hopefully drain out. Have I ruined it? I've only had it a few weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.