Detailing World Forum banner

Flex vs Rupes

17K views 65 replies 20 participants last post by  mb1 
#1 ·
If you have to choose one between the flex 3401 vrg or rupes
bigfoot 21 which one will you choose and why.

#10 ·
Rupes LHR15 with microfibre pad and Zephir compound will correct far easier and quicker than rotary and produce more gloss.

I havent used a rotary for over a year now, there is no need if you know how to use the bigfoot correctly.

But hey what do I know :)

Kind Regards
Paul Dalton

Miracle Detail.
Tel: 07788-441150
Office: 07788-441150
Int'l: +44 (0) 7788-441150
Email: info@miracledetail.co.uk
Web: www.miracledetail.co.uk
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MiracleDetail
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MiracleDetailUK
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Miracledetail
Swissvax car care http://www.swissvax.ch/

#37 ·
Rupes LHR15 with microfibre pad and Zephir compound will correct far easier and quicker than rotary and produce more gloss.

I havent used a rotary for over a year now, there is no need if you know how to use the bigfoot correctly.

But hey what do I know :)

Kind Regards
Paul Dalton
Which pad are you recommending?

Must say not overly blown away by the bigfoot, surprised you find it that smooth using it for prolonged periods, yes it's at it's smoothest when flat out but still feel it over time.

I know dust is something that comes with the territory but do people not find it's a bit excessive even with serious spurring which is time consuming

#13 ·
But paul you have dozens of rupe machines.

Every single size and multiples.

This guy is after one machine i think.

Unless he can afford to buy 3 or so rupes for all sizes.
Large 21. Medium 15 and spot pad one.

A very good system as you say paul but expensive too.

#19 ·
But paul you have dozens of rupe machines.

Every single size and multiples.

This guy is after one machine i think.

Unless he can afford to buy 3 or so rupes for all sizes.
Large 21. Medium 15 and spot pad one.

A very good system as you say paul but expensive too.
No you can fix a whole car with the 15mm.

#15 ·
Owned Flex 3401, later also tried the Bigfoot. Very different machines. Flex behaves like a rotary but spins counter clockwise, which i actually liked, but some people don't. In your hand feels like a rotary and you can get the feeling it's a little grabby. I mean you have to hold it "firmly", otherwise it can "run off" your hands. Bigfoot, on the other hand, runs much smoother and you can get the feeling you can almost run it with one hand only. As far the ease of use, bigfoot is the winner for me between these two. I've seen a lot of people changing the LHR21 backing plate to smaller an use 150mm pads, so i don't see any difference in this point when comparing BF and 3401. I've seen bigfoot 21 to wear the pads out quite fast because of its large throw, so here maybe goes a plus for 3401. No one is magic and whatever people tell you, no one cuts as fast as rotary using the same polish and pad combo.
My opinion is that both are great machines, but quite overpriced if you don't get good offer. Instead of buying kind of a "hybrid" polisher that offers me decent cut and "hologram free finish", i opter for two machines: rotary and DAS6. It costed me about the same money, i have no problems with smaller pads (even the 80mm), can do the hardest cutting with no problems and finish hologram free (I recently use the rotary for finishing/jewelling). I can do whatever i want now:thumb:
But to answer your question: if i had to choose between 3401 and LHR21 i'd go for the big foot. Probably because nice, smooth and simple ease of use.

#23 ·
I have a old da polisher that is weak so I was looking into a flex or a rupes
something that is a upgrade from what I have. I have a rotary with all sizes
backing plates and pads but I don't what to use a rotary for minor correction I could but don't want to and that where the flex or rupes comes into play.

#26 ·
Personally, having the 3401 on the armour, and even thinking to buy the Rupes, some months ago, I literally stopped to want one.
Maybe the Rupes will have less vibrations, but the Flex forced rotation still remain a must for me.
I can't think to have a similar expence for a bigger das-6 with a more sponsored brand...
Talking about the tool's bigger orbit compared with the Flex, It will be a good argument to specify what kind of car are we working on.
Some bodyshops on my area, are actually using the Rupes BF 21, but for everyday cars and really fast works on big panels.
Personally, to work with that tool on contoured curves of a Porsche or Ferrari as my daily bread was till some weeks ago, was not the max I was dreaming...

#27 ·
Love my Bigfoot and as Paul says you can correct even the hardest paint with the correct pad choice, a microfibre pad simply works wonders and finishes down really well. Certainly better than a rotary.

For a single stage polish with say a Rupes white pad and Menzerna PF2500 you'd be amazed at the correction possible whilst still getting great gloss and shine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.