Detailing World Forum banner

Reaching the top of SUVs

5K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  jr2007 
#1 ·
Now that my glorious CL has given way to a babymobile Q5, I have just thought of a problem I have never had before - how do I reach the top of the car?!

How do you guys reach the roof of the car? Do you just use a stool?

#7 ·
Heresy on this site, I know, but if you can't see it, why do you need to wash it:devil:?!!

Seriously, I use a Kickstep - https://goo.gl/images/fqBAht - the sort you find in libraries; it is on castors which are disabled when the step is carrying weight. It also has a rubber rim where it is most likely to touch bodywork.

I'm 6'1" and can reach all of the top of a Full Fat Range Rover from one angle or another with it.

Peter

#17 ·
I'm Ok as I'm 6'4" tall (don't ask what that is in new money as I have no idea lol), but I use a simple 2-step ladder to get higher if needed.

Obviously, anybody under 6'4" needs to invest in a medieval rack, and using this 2 or 3 times a day should add a few inches to your height, ooh over say ten years. Of course you'll have to be careful not to eject from a fast jet as this could negate the stretching of the rack due to spine compression. You see I've really thought about this problem and if anyone needs any advice give me a shout.

#22 ·
When I'm polishing the roof of any car I use an old plastic beer crate, it's light and easy to kick around the car. I also use it to sit on to do the lower areas.
I use a beer crate too, although a word of caution, I was standing on one a few years back, and my foot went through it!!!

I screwed plywood to the top and covered it with a carpet tile. I'm tempted to vinyl wrap the sides too lol.

Cooks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.