Detailing World Forum banner

Karcher k4 problem- Help!!!

34K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  dazpollitt 
#1 ·
Having a major issue with my new Karcher K4 that is making me want to destroy it.

I bought a new 20m hose to replace the 6m standard hose, pulled the pin/clip out of the Connection on the base to release the old hose, but will the pin go back in to secure the new hose- nope!!! 45mins of trying, hammer, pliers and a few prayers and it will not go back in.

Does anybody know what I’m doing wrong or had this issue? I am guessing lots of people have bought longer hoses for there k4 and fitted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·

I had this problem too and solved it using a simple piece of twine.
Tie it around the clip, it doesn't really need much pressure to keep it in place but give it firm knot anyway. Hasn't come off for me since I done this over a year ago.
Hope this helps.

#16 ·
It looks like you might need some Bow pliers/external circlip to get it to open wider so you can push it on.

See if you can find a motor factors that sell them and take the clip along to see if fits. I very much doubt you will get it on otherwise.

HTH

#19 ·
I'm thinking of getting a kranzle myself as I've had enough of my K5,,it takes about 3 minutes to start when coupled from hose pipe from tap & know when I connect my snowfoam gun it doesn't always work & I have to hold the trigger while connecting the sf bottle.

Andy.

#18 ·
Tried one of these on a K7, proper pita but look at it this way, once you get it on at least it will be secure!

Only did it once and it wasn’t mine so I was not being overly cautious but think a wiggle/push technique helped, not a lot of room for manoeuvre but kind of walk it in is the best way I can describe it. The owner had already knocked up a makeshift holder by drilling a groove into a block of wood to fit over the pin to give a better grip because he had already bashed his knuckles 22 times. You only need to get the first bit over the fixing then it’s all gravy. Can’t remember if the pin is captive or not but if you can get it all the way out you could try heating it to give it a bit more flexibility. Failing that you will have to file off a little material from the groove in the hose fitting.

#20 ·
I had the same problem fitting an aftermarket hose to my K4.

The issue, as i remember, is that the brass fitting needs to go in just a *fraction* more. I know it probably feels like it is fully home already, but try removing it and refitting it a few times. On mine, it finally went in a fraction more and the clip just went back on easily.

Take it out and check there isnt any fragment of grit or dirt just keeping it slightly out.

#22 ·
Not really going to help as I suspect you have, but have you tried twisting the tube slightly to see if this helps locate it fully ?

From the picture you've put up, and it could just be a trick of light - but it does look like it's not pushed home fully and in place...

Also, have you checked the original hose and the new one - are the ends exactly the same, is the grove the same, washer point same etc etc ...

Hope you manage to get it in:)

#23 ·
I'm just assuming the end is similar to the quick release style end, only non removable if you know what I mean.

Have you tried pushing in the hose further.
If that doesn't work, try rotating the hose a little. If you look at the quick release male connector, you can see if has two flat sides on opposing sides.
So, rotate the hose and push the clip in and see what gives.

#25 ·
I’ve tried everything within my power, lost the a whole day of car cleaning fun (I cancelled golf for), I’ve given up.
It’s been taken apart and packed up ready to go back to Screwfix, they can either show me how its done or accept it’s a terrible design and give me a new one!

#26 ·
Sorry it doesn't help much. But here's a few pics of mine. Your does look like it's in right so don't know. One thing I did notice. Your connection on the power washer is plastic. It's metal on mine.
The pin should just pull out/push in with ease

#32 ·
I’ve seen a few bits online saying with this particular model you need to use a hose extension push connector rather than going straight into the machine, what’s the point in that!
If the OEM hose broke you would need to replace it so that is tosh. Not impressed with my first Karcher so far, very plastic and cheap but did clean my motor very nicely.

#33 ·
I've seen a few bits online saying with this particular model you need to use a hose extension push connector rather than going straight into the machine, what's the point in that!
If the OEM hose broke you would need to replace it so that is tosh. Not impressed with my first Karcher so far, very plastic and cheap but did clean my motor very nicely.

I didn't use any special connectors with my K4 Eco. Just disconnected the OEM hose from the base of the reel and replaced it with a Direct Hoses one and it works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.