Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 21-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
tmitch45
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Car security - Am I crazy has anyone done the same

Some of you may have seen my various post that I am looing at a new car. My wish list seems best matched by either a pre-reg VW Arteon 280 BHP petrol or a 12-18 month old Audi S4 Avant. I know they seem very different cars but my extensive research had lead to these two. For me I have always dreamed of owning an S4 but there is one thing putting me off. There have been threads on here and other motoring forums about cars like S4's golf R's BMW's etc being stolen to order and thieves targeting specific cars and either breaking into the houses for keys or mugging the owner. We are fortunate enough to live in a pretty quiet nice village and the car will be in a secure car park with barrier during the day half the time. My wife will drive the car as much as me and often works late at her work (normal car park no security) where she would be in a quiet secluded car park sometime in the dark when she leaves. So despite this being my realistic dream car I don't want to put my wife or family at risk by owning one and would therefore rather have a more standard car than risk that. As S4's are often criticised for looking boring and understated I though to myself, I'm not really bothered about the look of the car for me its the interior, safety, practicality and most important the performance and stability of AWD so why not remove all the S4 and Quattro badges and stick on a TDi badge? The s4 badging on the wings can be swapped for s-line ones and further add to the stealth look of the car. Am I crazy or have people actually done something like this?? I know there would still be 4 exhausts out the back and the rear bumper with diffuser but I just though if it raised doubt and made a thief walk by and leave it alone thinking it was a TDI with an S4 bumper that would do the trick.

As another thought are there any other practical steps to protect my family and car? I've recently upgraded the locks on the house.
tmitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Mcpx

It is a sad state of affairs that such measures even have to be taken into consideration but such are the times we live in. As far as the security of the car itself goes there is nothing you can do to stop it being taken, but you can slow them down and the longer it takes them the greater the risk and the less likely they are to chance it. Keep car keys somewhere unorthodox where they are unlikely to be found, be especially vigilant with keys when you are out or not at home, and then physically secure the car with visible deterrents such as wheel clamps and steering locks. A gated car park is good but even the best padlock won’t last long against bolt cutters or a cordless angle grinder.

The risk of the car or keys being taken by force is another matter and in such circumstances the advice is simply to cooperate fully and hand them over with no resistance, as abhorrent as that may sound, you have to bear in mind that your wife’s or your own safety is far more important than any car.

I read a Facebook post just two days ago where a gang took a local Focus ST, when they were discovered in the act by a neighbour she was threatened with a cordless angle grinder which was then demonstrated on the other two cars parked there, so the car was taken anyway, two further cars were significantly damaged and a young woman was threatened with serious violence and was understandably shaken. These people do not consider the consequences of their actions, either for themselves or for their victims, so unless you are prepared to do the same, which I would hope as a rational and decent human being, as opposed to pond scum, you are not.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
Mikesphotaes
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Fit a tracker and enjoy whatever car you buy!
Mikesphotaes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikesphotaes For This Useful Post:
Grommit (21-11-2017), Nanoman (21-11-2017), Soul boy 68 (21-11-2017), tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
ardandy
Eco-Warrior

Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesphotaes View Post
Fit a tracker and enjoy whatever car you buy!
Which doesn't solve the fact that someone may break into your house to get the keys to your car whilst your family is upstairs asleep!
ardandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ardandy For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (21-11-2017), tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
DrEskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
It is a sad state of affairs that such measures even have to be taken into consideration but such are the times we live in.

On the contrary, car crime is the lowest it’s ever been...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eft/2017-07-20

You need to remember that we are all active members of car forums where we are more exposed to stories of car theft. This creates the bus perception that it is very prominent, but the reality is very different. We are just more heavily exposed to it.

The truth is the statistics tells us that theft of even the most stolen cars, like the Audi S3, still account for less than 1% of all the Audi S3’s on the road. I’m 2015 the incidence of S3s stolen was 8.6 per 1000. There were approximately 6,000 S3s registered on the road during 2015, so of the 6,000 S3s that were at risk of being stolen, about 52, on average, were stolen. That’s just 0.86%.

I would challenge your perception of the risk involved before drawing and conclusions. By all means, take into account your area and taking all precautions to protect yourself is never a bad thing!

Personally, get the S4 and enjoy it. Get GAP insurance to cover the economic cost of theft and secure your home the best you can.
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
gatecrasher3 (21-11-2017), Grommit (21-11-2017), Soul boy 68 (21-11-2017), Sutty 90 (22-11-2017), tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
voon

Garage
I wouldn't call an Arteon a family car .. these low swung coupes look nice, but the backseats tend to be only for small people and compared to an avant, storage options are limited.

If you like that style of car, I'd also look at the new Kia Stinger - a fnatastic offer among the GT cars, but also not really a family car.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to voon For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,255 Times in 947 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardandy View Post
Which doesn't solve the fact that someone may break into your house to get the keys to your car whilst your family is upstairs asleep!
and then you get your car back after its been rallied over the fields and kerbs and had a shoddy respray to repair it

is rather it stay gone if its stolen
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveo3002 For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
On the contrary, car crime is the lowest it’s ever been...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eft/2017-07-20

You need to remember that we are all active members of car forums where we are more exposed to stories of car theft. This creates the bus perception that it is very prominent, but the reality is very different. We are just more heavily exposed to it.

The truth is the statistics tells us that theft of even the most stolen cars, like the Audi S3, still account for less than 1% of all the Audi S3’s on the road. I’m 2015 the incidence of S3s stolen was 8.6 per 1000. There were approximately 6,000 S3s registered on the road during 2015, so of the 6,000 S3s that were at risk of being stolen, about 52, on average, were stolen. That’s just 0.86%.

I would challenge your perception of the risk involved before drawing and conclusions. By all means, take into account your area and taking all precautions to protect yourself is never a bad thing!

Personally, get the S4 and enjoy it. Get GAP insurance to cover the economic cost of theft and secure your home the best you can.
Arrr the good Dr comes in with another level headed and totally rational post. Thanks

Last edited by tmitch45; 21-11-2017 at 10:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmitch45 For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (21-11-2017), Soul boy 68 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,090 Times in 4,232 Posts
Garage
this may sound OTT but consider a tracker plus an ODB port blocker, dash cam and outside wireless CCTV and enjoy the car of your dreams. you don't want to look back in your old age regretting not owning one. I say go for it. I have an M2 and to me it's my dream car apart from a super car which I'll never afford in a million years and my M2 is as well protected as it will ever be.

detailingworld header_zps6mbe3maa.jpg

Last edited by Soul boy 68; 21-11-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #10
tmitch45

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
I wouldn't call an Arteon a family car .. these low swung coupes look nice, but the backseats tend to be only for small people and compared to an avant, storage options are limited.

If you like that style of car, I'd also look at the new Kia Stinger - a fnatastic offer among the GT cars, but also not really a family car.
It definitely is mate. The car is huge its way bigger than the S4 Avant and Kia stinger which I actually test drove at the weekend! Yes the rear head room is compromised but with a 5 and 8 year old it wont be an issue and in any case my 6 foot body fitted with no issue and loads of knee room with the seat in front also set up for me.

The stinger was a surprising car but £42,000 for a Kia seemed a huge amount of money even with all the tech included. It was fast but I wasn't sure about the pedal feel and gear box and also the rear wheel drive is not something I personally would consider in a car with that much power. It may come to the UK in AWD form according to the sales man. What is it with powerful cars only coming as rwd in the UK with certain car brands?