Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Money And Business Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Money And Business Zone All things money related, Savings, Finance, Pensions ,Insurance, Mortgages and more,

Old 16-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
tmitch45
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

How to make extra money???

This is a bit of a strange ask so stick with me. My wife and I both work part time 30 hrs a week for the NHS. We reduced our hours when our first child was born both so we could spend quality time with him and our daughter but also so we could reduce our child care costs. As the NHS is in crisis we have both asked our bosses to return to full or near full time but this is not possible due to cost savings. We are both at the top of our respective pay grades so will only receive cost of living pay rises which are currently below inflation. As our children have now started school our monthly outgoings are increasing at an alarming rate with uniforms, sports kits, school trips, equipment, coaching, clubs, birthday parties and food (it feels like we feed 4 adults) etc. I do worry about money constantly and we are at a position now that some months we spend more than we earn but thankfully these months are only occasionally. In terms of outgoings we have no loans only the house and have been through the rest of our monthly outgoings rigorously in an attempt to reduce our monthly spend. We have started shopping at Aldi which has seen our food bill reduce dramatically. Its amazing how a quick phone call to the likes of BT can suddenly see your bill reduced significantly. We have done the same with our energy bills, insurances etc. We both work very hard and as our only qualifications are specific to our careers it seems it would be hard to leave the security of the NHS and a regular salary. We have both looked into promotion but these post are very few and far between and would need to fit in with us taking collecting the kids from school. We have come to the conclusion that maybe an additional income would be useful even if this was a hundred pounds or so a month. We regularly sell unused stuff on ebay and have done things like completing surveys and questionnaires etc but its a huge amount of work for not a lot of money. In addition to this we are very careful with money, we rarely have a take-away or meal out, neither of us drink or smoke and we have modest cars which we own and have done for years.

So back to my question does anyone have any experience (or suggestions) of anything we could do to boost our income? We are both highly organised, intelligent and hard working and we keep saying to each other "surely there is something we can do as a team to make some extra cash". We have looked at things like dealing in penny stocks, buying and selling on ebay, car booting but want to make sure we aren't rushing into something that's a waste of time or could end up costing us money.

Last edited by tmitch45; 16-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
tmitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
MagpieRH

Garage
I don't know that there's an easy answer, or everyone would be doing it!
Given you're both in the NHS and qualified in your field(s), could you not do a similar job for a private medical company? The likes of Spire or even someone on Harley Street? Just a thought
MagpieRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MagpieRH For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (16-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
tmitch45

Thanks Magpie there is a spire opening near us and I am looking into that. The reality is often that in the private medical sector its only the doctors who earn a lot more.
Old 16-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,125 Times in 3,745 Posts
Garage
Hi chum. A friend was saving for his son's wedding, and was trying to save some money to help him with a deposit for a house.

He looked about for some part-time work, and actually got a job in a call centre, working 3 hours two evenings a week. I don't know how much he made, but I do remember him saying that it really helped him reach the target he had set. What about looking in local papers for bar/restaurant work. Tips etc can be good.

Hope you get sorted chum.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
SBM (19-04-2017), tmitch45 (16-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Hi chum. A friend was saving for his son's wedding, and was trying to save some money to help him with a deposit for a house.

He looked about for some part-time work, and actually got a job in a call centre, working 3 hours two evenings a week. I don't know how much he made, but I do remember him saying that it really helped him reach the target he had set. What about looking in local papers for bar/restaurant work. Tips etc can be good.

Hope you get sorted chum.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Thats some dad doing that for his son!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmitch45 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (16-04-2017), Estoril-5 (17-04-2017), SBM (19-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Bmw320
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Have you ever looked at matched betting? I made about £6000 in 18 months which has helped drastically to pay for my wedding

There's a website called profit accumulator which gives you step by step guide and videos on what to do for a fee of £18 a month

It's guaranteed income and completely risk free as long as you understand the concept of how it works, it's certainly not for every one but worth a look and an a way of making extra money at home

When I joined there was only about 1000 members and I was wary of joining but the site has now grown massively and has thousands of members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bmw320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bmw320 For This Useful Post:
den656 (16-04-2017), gatecrasher3 (19-04-2017), Talidan (18-04-2017), tmitch45 (16-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
Eric the Red
Orbital Oracle

If your looking to do something together, what common interests do you have, how many hrs a week do you have spare, how much extra cash do you need, could you not detail a couple of cars per wk, like a lot of people on here, why not make a list of all the things you would like to do, then tick off the realistic ones and then tick off again the more viable ones until you end up with just maybe 2-3 that you actually can make some extra cash.
Eric the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric the Red For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (05-05-2017), tmitch45 (16-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
Andyg_TSi

Thanked 1,330 Times in 728 Posts
What about the wife getting involved with something like Avon & you getting involved with something like Betterware?

The books get popped through my door & the agents will be making cash from it.

Hope you get something sorted
Andyg_TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andyg_TSi For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (05-05-2017), tmitch45 (16-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Zetec-al

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,279 Posts
Garage
Sell the Enzo in your Picture.. Then you would have no worries

On a Serious Note, I'm in a similar but slightly different position to you at the minute. My Girlfriend and I have our first child on the way and i worry about money every day and how we are going to cope. I am working 6 days a week at the minute to try and pay some debts off that i have so i every penny i earn when the baby comes along is mine so to speak.

I can't really help you out too much as i have been thinking the same as you.

I have a new Miller and Carter Restaurant opening across the road from where i live and i was thinking of looking at some evening bar work to bring in some extra cash.

Good luck too you anyway.
Zetec-al is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zetec-al For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (16-04-2017)
Old 16-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw320 View Post
Have you ever looked at matched betting? I made about £6000 in 18 months which has helped drastically to pay for my wedding

There's a website called profit accumulator which gives you step by step guide and videos on what to do for a fee of £18 a month

It's guaranteed income and completely risk free as long as you understand the concept of how it works, it's certainly not for every one but worth a look and an a way of making extra money at home

When I joined there was only about 1000 members and I was wary of joining but the site has now grown massively and has thousands of members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell me more we were talking about something like penny shares or the like that we could really get into learn study and put some effort into properly. Feel free to pm me if easier. We aren't looking to make a quick buck so something that could be a bit of a hobby and provide a little income boost would be a good fit especially if we could do it to fit in around our child care arrangements.
The Following User Says Thank You to tmitch45 For This Useful Post:
BaileyA3 (17-04-2017)